PDA

View Full Version : Do you read the entire textbook?

max_boost
11-17-2005, 02:39 AM
For starters, I just don't have the time to read an entire 600 page textbook for my International Business course. Just to note, this is a correspondence course so I definitely feel like I am missing out on the traditional classroom setting where the prof/instructor is ranting. You just miss out on all the little things which I can appreciate now.

Surprisingly I have an A- going into my final, you think it's feasible to get by reading/understanding the lesson objectives and basically just skip everything else? Is that a smart thing to do?

ninjak84
11-17-2005, 02:46 AM
I haven't bought a textbook for my last 2 years of university :D
But I go to all my classes, and take crazy notes. That's what I rely on. As long as I have those, I'm ok, but without them I'm toast (like when I miss lots of class).

I guess correspondence is a different story, but you aren't going wrong with an A- so far
Whatever works for you

t-im
11-17-2005, 02:48 AM
Everyone studies different, and depending on how the class is (for me) you can get by without reading the book. I don't know how it feels to do a correspondence class, but i'm guessing if you have good notes (or whatever) you won't need to read the book.

For me, i'm all about the reading of textbooks!

Kirbs17
11-17-2005, 03:22 AM
I hardly ever take notes, and read my textbooks religously. its been working so far

max_boost
11-17-2005, 03:52 AM
I fall asleep when I read. I hope by focusing on what's important it will provide a safe shortcut to a decent B grade :D

I know it's not that high but when you are working constantly without a day off, a B looks mighty fine!!!!!!

nismodrifter
11-17-2005, 11:27 AM
The only time I read the textbook is when:
a) They say there is stuff going to be tested out of the textbook.
b) When I don't have a freaking clue as to what is going on in class and need someone to explain it in plain english so I can then understand my class notes.

Read the book...make summary notes of what I read in the chapters...and then study the notes.

Ajay
11-17-2005, 11:30 AM
I always buy the textbook for all my classes unless the prof says not to but I don't rely on it primarily.

I take notes in class which are pretty detailed and if I don't seem to understand something I'll make my own notes based on the textbook. For 90% of the classes I'm in the prof simply regurgitates the textbook material anyway so often reading the text isn't required.

/////AMG
11-17-2005, 11:47 AM
I've been planning to read some of my textbooks since October, I justy can't do it! I always doze off.

GTS Jeff
11-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
The only time I read the textbook is when:
a) They say there is stuff going to be tested out of the textbook.
b) When I don't have a freaking clue as to what is going on in class and need someone to explain it in plain english so I can then understand my class notes. :werd:

Otherwise there's no reason to read the textbook. It contains so much more information than is necessary to learn, and brain space is a valued commodity...

Melinda
11-17-2005, 01:07 PM
I think there were only 2 textbooks that I read cover to cover, one in high school and one in college. Neither one cause I was forced to, but they were favorite classes of mine so I did it anyways. But other then that, I hardly ever bought text books in college. I own probably 4 and one of them doesnt even have a crease in the spine. It wasnt that I didnt wanna learn the stu,f I just prefered the way the teacher taught it instead of the text

abyss
11-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
I think there were only 2 textbooks that I read cover to cover, one in high school and one in college. Neither one cause I was forced to, but they were favorite classes of mine so I did it anyways. But other then that, I hardly ever bought text books in college. I own probably 4 and one of them doesnt even have a crease in the spine. It wasnt that I didnt wanna learn the stu,f I just prefered the way the teacher taught it instead of the text

Well aren't we just the keener? ;) I don't think I've ever read a textbook completely, just used it to supplement my in class notes.

b_t
11-17-2005, 01:33 PM
I usually only study the learning outcomes, and then write out the answers to each in detail by hand, then write them out again except worded more efficiently (summed up if you will), and then study from those. Writing it down twice helps a LOT for remembering things. Typing isn't quite the same thing, when you spend a long time writing it sticks in your head pretty well.
I also find that reading the case studies is a huge help, I am learning a few of my courses out of a textbook since I hate the teachers so you miss out on the applications of the concepts you are learning, and usually seeing how it is applied helps a lot (especially for numbers related things).

lastprodigy
11-18-2005, 12:45 AM
most of my textbooks tay in the wrap...why do i bother buying them :(.....

A2VR6
11-18-2005, 11:17 PM
Depends on the teacher. Usually since my teachers arent that great I actually have to read the textbook... other than that, the textbook is basically a resource for practice questions for me.

pints
11-19-2005, 01:00 AM
If they are books for my history based classes I usually read them over as I don't always catch names, dates or places in the lecture and they may go more in depth into the topics covered.
For some of the science ones I just look at the pictures and copy out the bolded term words.

Shaolin
11-19-2005, 01:26 AM
I don't remember the last time I read the whole textbook.. I think in one of my tax classes I had to skim through every chapter.. that was the closest it got.

DelSoln
11-19-2005, 03:16 AM
I read my textbooks all the time. My profs were assholes and would test on both lecture and book material. Often times there was not much overlap between the two.