PDA

View Full Version : Full Test: 2006 Honda Civic Si (edmunds.com)

benyl
11-18-2005, 12:20 AM
Full Test: 2006 Honda Civic Si (edmunds.com)

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=108019

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/roadtest/06.honda.civic.si/06.honda.civic.si.f34.2.500.jpg

Civic at Fever Pitch
By Erin Riches
Date posted: 11-17-2005

High on a quart of coffee, we load up Alice in Chains and point the 2006 Honda Civic Si toward Vegas. The plan, if you can call it that, is to hit the Tropicana, lose money on blackjack and have a drink with a spicy stranger. It's 2 a.m. If the California Highway Patrol is on our side, we'll be broke by sun up.

Turns out Vegas gets old faster than the fruit salad at the Bally's buffet.

Pockets empty, gut still wrenching from the volatile mix of French roast and all-you-can-eat prime rib, we speed up Interstate 15 to Nevada's Valley of Fire. It's where we should have been all along. There's nothing out here but empty two-lane roads. For hours we throw the 2006 Si into tight corners, taste its 8 grand redline, and consider blowing off another day of work.

The boss will understand. After a few years in the pretender column, the Si is a serious performance coupe again. With six forward gears, a limited-slip differential and a high-revving all-aluminum engine, it's the most fun $20,000 can buy. Spontaneous road trips are just part of the deal.

Never Calm
Under the Si's hood is a double-overhead-cam 2.0-liter four that produces 197 horsepower at 7,800 rpm and 139 lb-ft at 6,200 rpm. This doesn't look like much torque, but Honda's i-VTEC (innovative Variable Valve Timing and lift Electronic Control) kicks in immediately off idle and it makes all the difference.

Simply explained, i-VTEC dictates when the valves open and how high they lift. Low-lift, torque-boosting camshaft profiles operate below 5,800 rpm, while a high-lift set geared toward maximum horsepower production takes over above that. The timing of the intake valves varies continuously within either range, providing further performance and efficiency benefits.

Even though the Si's tach needle blasts past 6 grand so quickly, it's impossible to miss the changing of the cams. The engine's progressive rock soundtrack abruptly switches to death metal, good death metal, as if the smooth and refined Honda 2.0-liter has hit puberty and filled with angst. Now the Si accelerates with greater urgency, blowing past its 7,800-rpm horsepower peak. A red shift light begins blinking at 7,600 and goes solid at the 8,000, but the computer doesn't cut you off until 8,500.

All this, along with the six-speed manual transmission's fairly aggressive 1st and 2nd gears, is enough to get the Si to 60 mph in 7.2 seconds, though Honda claims a 6.7 is possible. We've timed Chevrolet's Cobalt SS coupe at 7 flat and the Saturn Ion Red Line at 6.7. Although we hate the way the engine holds onto revs artificially when you lift off the throttle, Honda has geared the six-speed perfectly to keep the tach above 6,000 rpm during acceleration runs. With a 15.1 at 93.8-mph run, the Si does beat the supercharged Cobalt in the quarter-mile, but the blown Ion's 14.6 quarter tops them both.

Long Haul
But you've got to be in the right mood to keep up with the Si's frenetic pace. There were a few moments when we wished the engine would shut up for two minutes. We even cruised the Vegas strip in 5th gear just to get a little peace.

On the plus side, the Civic Si's solid low-end response kept us sane in stop-and-go gridlock. And 6th gear offers a livable compromise of relative quiet and juice for passing on the highway. However, load the coupe with two adults and luggage and keeping an 80-mph pace up a mountain grade does require a drop to 5th.

Fortunately, clutch pedal resistance is perfect, as is pedal spacing. Although a Miata's gearbox is a tad more precise, moving the aluminum-capped shifter through the gates feels right every time. This is a car you never get tired of shifting.

Road trip mileage is impressive. We got 25.5 mpg without trying, which is right in line with the 22 mpg city/31 mpg highway Honda estimates.

Killing Time on Back Roads
Our Civic Si went to the test track the same day as a Corvette Z06, a Viper and a Ford GT, yet, it stayed with these high rollers in the slalom, running through the 600-foot cone course at almost 68 mph. That's faster than the Viper and only a hair behind the Corvette's performance.

In our first drive, we told you how the 2006 Honda Civic Si drives on the track. "Grip is high, body roll is very well controlled, as is brake dive, and the feel and ratio of the electric power steering are right on," we wrote. All this is true on the street as well.

This car engages its driver the same way a rear-drive BMW does. Although front-wheel drive, the Si responds immediately to every input and the standard limited-slip differential lets you get back on the gas sooner without upsetting your line. Pay extra for the optional 215/45R17 Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 summer tires. They're sticky enough to justify the added expense.

Braking hardware consists of ventilated 11.8-inch discs in front and 10.8-inch solid discs in back. Even when hot, the brakes feel strong with a natural pedal feel. Our tester's best stopping distance from 60 mph was a very good 122.7 feet.

Comfy All the Way to Sin City
For such an athlete, the Civic Si offers a surprisingly compliant highway ride. It can be a little harsh over broken pavement, but the car's fully independent front strut/rear double-wishbone suspension never gets out of sorts.

Equally accommodating are the front seats, which are firm on the sides, yet soft in the middle, and the standard tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel ensures anyone can find a comfortable driving position. One day we spent 12 hours in the driver seat without a backache.

Honda's designers wanted the Civic's interior to look "futuristic and sophisticated," and it works on us. Subtle touches like the sculpted steering wheel hub and the gentle slopes of the dash appeal to our artistic side, while simple controls, ergonomically shaped door armrests and the vast amount of storage slots provide more day-to-day practicality than we thought possible in a budget sport coupe.

You may not like the unusual gauge layout, however, which puts an analog tachometer in the traditional location, but the digital speedometer on the top of the dash. One 5-foot-10 driver contends the setup is ideal, but another says the steering wheel blocks the speedo.

Materials are high-quality and all the essential stuff is standard, including A/C, a high-quality stereo (you can plug in an iPod or digital audio card), full power accessories, cruise, a sunroof and side curtain airbags which protect the heads of everyone in the car. Front occupants also get torso-protecting side airbags. Our coupe was also equipped with the optional navigation system, which will retail for about $1,300. It's a touchscreen and it's idiot-proof.

Incredibly, it's pretty easy to get into the backseat, and there's enough room for two average-size adults. Plus there's 11.5 cubic feet of trunk space and a 60/40 fold-down rear seat.

More Than a Fling
We didn't get anywhere with the spicy stranger at the Trop, but our affection for the 2006 Honda Civic Si is lasting.

It's an affordable coupe with the intensity of something twice the price, the kind of car that has you feverishly scanning the map for obscure two-lane roads nobody's using. Yet, it's not so tightly wound that it drives you crazy if you get stuck in traffic for two hours. That makes the Si just about the perfect compromise, and that's a rare feat at the $20,000 mark.

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/roadtest/06.honda.civic.si/06.honda.civic.si.int.night.500.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/roadtest/06.honda.civic.si/06.honda.civic.si.r34.1.500.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/roadtest/06.honda.civic.si/06.honda.civic.si.eng.500.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/roadtest/06.honda.civic.si/06.honda.civic.si.dash.500.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/roadtest/06.honda.civic.si/06.honda.civic.si.prf.500.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/roadtest/06.honda.civic.si/06.honda.civic.si.int.500.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/roadtest/06.honda.civic.si/06.honda.civic.si.rnt.500.jpg

Raz2
11-18-2005, 12:27 AM
Yea, I still think it's a pretty cool car.

- Rasmus

Impreza
11-18-2005, 12:36 AM
I'm really loving this car!

Vagabond142
11-18-2005, 07:39 AM
:hitit: I want one so badly :love:

69cougar
11-18-2005, 09:42 AM
ran competitivly with the Viper and the Vette?? :eek:

in*10*se
11-18-2005, 10:35 AM
wow... it's almost a 2 dr tsx... shiet... i SAID "almost"

it's a fucking sick civic, i'll tell u that much... so much more balls than previous models...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: two thumbs up for the new civic. i'd probably buy one if a acura equivilent didn't come out... either that or jump on the tsx... but a coupe is definately more appealing...

civic si > rsx

wtf are they gonna do w/ the EL/CSX? i hear the RSX is going to be ditched soon since the CSX uses the rsx engine and the CSX will have a type s soon...

so therefore if the civic si coupe = rsx... rsx should be scrapped soon... and a new model rsx should come out... wtf happens to the rsx?

if the civic si has all the options of a tsx and has the same hp = wtf happens to the tsx?

if civic si coupe = csx... does that mean a csx type s? 4dr sedan? wtf?

if there is a csx type s w/ 200 hp and navi options doesn't that mean = it's a tsx?

wtf happens to the tsx? csx? and rsx?

discuss....

Aleks
11-18-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by in*10*se
wow... it's almost a 2 dr tsx... shiet... i SAID "almost"

it's a fucking sick civic, i'll tell u that much... so much more balls than previous models...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: two thumbs up for the new civic. i'd probably buy one if a acura equivilent didn't come out... either that or jump on the tsx... but a coupe is definately more appealing...

civic si > rsx

wtf are they gonna do w/ the EL/CSX? i hear the RSX is going to be ditched soon since the CSX uses the rsx engine and the CSX will have a type s soon...

RSX is still faster, lighter and has more power, more luxurious, and nicer looking IMO. The things Civic has for it is LSD, newer chasis, should hopefully be cheaper. For me it would be a tossup until I actually drove the Si.

in*10*se
11-18-2005, 10:49 AM
rsx has no navi system... and u need a rsx type s to beat a civic... like wtf has this world come to?

civic si has more options than the rsx and is equivilent in many ways...

civic si has the equivilent options to the tsx and is equivilent in many ways....

civic si > csx/el ... like WTF?!? i always thought that csx/el >> civics...

:banghead: :dunno: :nut:

Aleks
11-18-2005, 10:54 AM
keep in mind this is as close to a Civic Type R as we'll ever get here. And no the Civic will not have Navi in Canada unfortunatelly. Like I said in one of the other threads if Honda can keep the price 25-26K I would consider buying one for sure. That would be 9K less than the Type - S and then it's no contest.

DC2
11-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by 69cougar
ran competitivly with the Viper and the Vette?? :eek:

thats pretty crazzzzy...

i like it!

Xtrema
11-18-2005, 11:06 AM
civic si > csx/el ... like WTF?!? i always thought that csx/el >> civics...

:banghead: :dunno: :nut:

Read my EL thread.

CSX will come in coupe and coupe type-s variants to replace RSX. Probably built in Ontario as well.

And you may not like this, rumor of a Civic Si Sedan is also in the pipeline for 07.

in*10*se
11-18-2005, 11:20 AM
i hope to god they fix the tail lights on the csx coupe.

in*10*se
11-18-2005, 11:26 AM
oh, and does this mean that the tsx will get a bigger engine? maybe the accord v6?

Xtrema
11-18-2005, 11:33 AM
^ Nobody knows as TSX still have 2 model years left before a total redesign. It just go refreshed this year.

It will probably unlikely to have a V6, since that's the TL's terroritory.

in*10*se
11-18-2005, 11:56 AM
okay...

then if the csx/rsx line have merged... and the tsx was the 4 dr rsx... doesn't that mean that the csx is pretty much ready to replace both the rsx and tsx? it's a cheaper version of the tsx and u can get everything the tsx has.

the tsx is going to have to step up... or be eliminated...

and if the tsx does step it up... where the fuck does the TL go?

hahaha

man.. the model line up in acura is fuucckked up now...

Xtrema
11-18-2005, 12:01 PM
TSX wasn't a 4 dr RSX. That role has always been the EL. On both price and platform.

TSX is replacement for old base TL. TL is replacement for old TL-S.

CSX->TSX->TL are still $5-6K apart from each other without NAVI whichi is a pretty good seperation.

in*10*se
11-18-2005, 12:37 PM
http://forums.clubel.ca/showthread.php?t=16032&page=1&pp=10

Hey Folks,

Honda recently had a focus group. They had 2 brand new 06 Acura CSXs to my surprise (and delight) for us to look, sit in, touch and feel...but sadly not drive. This will replace the EL name.

Here are the specs and a description of what I saw and read. The focus group had us rate other cars as well (Jetta, A3, S40, Mazda3) so they had all the specs and prices on a board standing beside each car. That is how I got the specs and pricing. (All the cars were all behind black curtains - very exciting). Sorry no pics. Enjoy!

2 flavours. Touring and Premium

Touring $25,350 MSRP
Civic based body
2.0 IVTEC DOHC
155HP @6000rpm
139lbs/ft @4500rpm
9.3L/100km
5 nut - 16" split 5 spoke rims
205/55/16 tires - sorry forgot the brand
MP3 6speaker 160 watt stereo
silver handles
cloth interior
sunroof - 1 touch open
turn signals in mirrors
power everything
same steering 3 spoke wheel from the 06 Honda Civic Coupe w/ audio controls
Front and side Airbag
EBS
5Sp manual/auto
Twin chrome tipped exhaust
+ all the fixings you would find in an 06 Civic Sedan ie, dash, gauges, door panels etc
Front end looks "TSXish"

Premium MSRP $33,050
for close to a whopping 8K you get added:\
Heat front seats
Leather
Navigation system (that talks to you!) - go to Honda USA to see what it looks like
CD Changer
Shift Paddles behind the steering wheel (the car was an auto)
HID lights

in*10*se
11-18-2005, 12:42 PM
Xtrema, ahh... what would i do without you :D
i think it's just u and mee in this thread :D

soo i dunno, why buy a tsx, when u can have a csx that does the same thing i guess for cheaper......:dunno:

JordanEG6
11-18-2005, 12:55 PM
whens the release date for these bad boys?

Xtrema
11-18-2005, 01:01 PM
soo i dunno, why buy a tsx, when u can have a csx that does the same thing i guess for cheaper......:dunno:

The thing is it won't be cheaper by much if a 200HP CSX Sedan ever comes out (may be $33K without NAVI). And the interior is CSX (no mater how Acura is selling it), is still very low rent using Civic parts when comparing to TSX. If you check the preview on Acura.ca, the CSX leather is fugly (or someone abuse it with Armouall). On top of that, TSX having a 2.4L have more useful torque which is critical when you have a few more passengers in the car.

As for the Civic Si, the first one just left the factory this week. You should start seeing them @ dealership early/mid December.

JordanLotoski
11-18-2005, 01:13 PM
maybe with this car will come alot more awesome cars from Honda, its about time. long overdue

in*10*se
11-18-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

The thing is it won't be cheaper by much if a 200HP CSX Sedan ever comes out (may be $33K without NAVI). And the interior is CSX (no mater how Acura is selling it), is still very low rent using Civic parts when comparing to TSX. If you check the preview on Acura.ca, the CSX leather is fugly (or someone abuse it with Armouall). On top of that, TSX having a 2.4L have more useful torque which is critical when you have a few more passengers in the car.

As for the Civic Si, the first one just left the factory this week. You should start seeing them @ dealership early/mid December.

yeah i checked out the acura.ca csx leather... totally questionable...

true... no matter how you spell it... csx/el is just a nicer civic...

who could turn down a euro accord = tsx? :D

GoChris
11-18-2005, 02:05 PM
nice car, if I were to get one I would wait until 2007 and get a 4 dr.

seer_claw
11-18-2005, 02:12 PM
I heard that the RSX is going to be discontinued. Why would Honda/Acura bother with it especially now? The SI is more than comparable with the RSX now. I can't put info behind that but I think that I saw it on ti.net.

in*10*se
11-18-2005, 02:28 PM
it was like the civic SiR vs the integra type R

it'll be fine... but it's no good since both the csx and civic si are based off the civic.

at least the integra and civic were based on a different platforms.

Xtrema
11-18-2005, 03:20 PM
at least the integra and civic were based on a different platforms.

No. They are just tuned differently. They have always been using the same platform. If you compare the similar year Civic VS Integra/RSX, you'll notice that everything is almost indenticial under the skin.

Xtrema
11-18-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by seer_claw
I heard that the RSX is going to be discontinued. Why would Honda/Acura bother with it especially now? The SI is more than comparable with the RSX now. I can't put info behind that but I think that I saw it on ti.net.

The teg was a legend and I'm sure Honda want to keep it since the departure of the lude.

The cheapest way would be source the North America only Civic Si and sell it as Integra in Japan and RSX in North America. Keep the fan boys happy. All speculation tho.

Weapon_R
11-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

No. They are just tuned differently. They have always been using the same platform. If you compare the similar year Civic VS Integra/RSX, you'll notice that everything is almost indenticial under the skin.

Yea, other than the brakes, interior, exterior, engine, transmission, and performance...you could say they are the same car..

Xtrema
11-18-2005, 03:28 PM
^ hey we are talking about platforms. What you put in it is another matter. Heck Audi TT and VW Bettle are exactly the same platform too.

Weapon_R
11-18-2005, 03:30 PM
The platform might be the same, but there is really nothing similar about the two cars besides that.

heavyD
11-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Yea, other than the brakes, interior, exterior, engine, transmission, and performance...you could say they are the same car..

According to you my SRT-4 isn't a Neon.:D

viffer
11-21-2005, 02:00 PM
:love:

thx for the article. Holy crap I want this car!!!!11

Release date is still Dec 1 as far as I know, but I believe the dealers were supposed to receive a unit each for the month of November. But I haven't seen one yet.

And yes there are rumors of an '07 Sedan Si, but as much as I would like that I don't think that will happen.

khtm
11-21-2005, 02:15 PM
Why did Honda think it would be cool to copy the look of Saturn?

bspot
11-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Off topic, but how the hell did they run an Ion Redline that much faster than the Cobalt SS in the 1/4 mile? Were they using the non-superchargered version? They are the same freaking car!

Also for anyone buying this, don't listen to the 7.2 0-60 that Edmunds quotes. They are notoriously shitty drivers. The 6.7 Honda quotes is probably more accurate. For instance, they ran a full second slower than other magazines for the SS. I've seen many of their runs, all slow.

viffer
11-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by khtm
Why did Honda think it would be cool to copy the look of Saturn? Because you touch yourself at night.