PDA

View Full Version : Porsche introduced VTG - will appear on 997 turbo

benyl
11-18-2005, 12:22 AM
http://www.germancarfans.com/news/2051115.002/2051115.002.1M.jpg
Introducing the new model, Porsche will be presenting the world's first turbocharged gasoline engine with variable turbine geometry (VTG). This technology featured in turbocharged diesels since the '90s ensures a significant improvement of engine flexibility and acceleration particularly at low engine speeds. So far, however, much higher exhaust gas temperature of up to 1000° C in comparison with the turbocharged diesel has always proved to be an insurmountable barrier. But now Porsche has solved this problem in close cooperation with Borg Warner Turbo Systems by using high temperature-resistant materials from space technology wherever required.

The core features of the VTG system are the variable turbine blades guiding the flow of exhaust gas from the engine in exactly the direction required on to the turbine wheel of the exhaust gas turbocharger. The principle of variable turbine geometry thus combines the benefits of a small and large exhaust gas turbocharger all in one – a combination ensuring both very good response and high torque at low engine speeds as well as superior output and high performance at high speeds. And the supreme level of torque is now maintained consistently throughout a much wider speed range.

Alpine Autowerks
11-24-2005, 03:17 PM
I'm a big a Porshe fan as anyone but you could buy a Dodge Omni (Shelby CXT) with a VNT turbo in 1989.

Redlyne_mr2
11-24-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks
I'm a big a Porshe fan as anyone but you could buy a Dodge Omni (Shelby CXT) with a VNT turbo in 1989.
Too bad those turbos were garbage....I have mixed feelings about the vnt but i know porsche will master it.

treg50
11-24-2005, 10:45 PM
lol, just 'cause the '89 Dodge Omni had a similar/primitive version of Porsche's VTG... would I want an '89 Dodge Omni over a '0X Porsche? No. Would you? I hope not :rofl:

Is VNT the same as Porsche's VTG? What does VNT mean?

finboy
11-28-2005, 11:58 PM
the omni never came with the vnt, but dodge was using a garrett t25 with vnt technology, overall a good turbo in design but was far to small for the motor and was no good over 15 psi