PDA

View Full Version : best place for toboggan

vincent-h
11-18-2005, 02:07 AM
what is a nice long hill in calgary that's good for toboggan?

thanks a bunch

DC2
11-18-2005, 02:08 AM
where in the city do you live and how far are you willing to go?

Mr_John
11-18-2005, 02:11 AM
the craziest hill is the c.o.p hills
although you have to climb the fence at night
its well worth it and its very scary - gives a great adeneline

vincent-h
11-18-2005, 02:28 AM
i dont' mind pretty much anywehre within calgary would be ok as long as its a nice long huge hill.

nothing illegal would be better haha asmuch i and a bunch of buddies would love to do it the gf isn't as endaring haha

mo_money2supe
11-18-2005, 02:44 AM
North end: I'd say the hill on University Drive near the 16th Ave bridge (probably one of the best in the city imo)

South end: the hill behind Glenmore Inn ain't bad. just the shady area, that's all...

vincent-h
11-18-2005, 03:47 AM
is it a popular hill could u diret me directions isn't that where what is it macmahon stadium is or something

mo_money2supe
11-18-2005, 04:01 AM
Yeah, that's the one; across from McMahon on University Drive. I think to get to the top by car, you have to cut through the neighbourhood. Do so by heading eastbound on University, and turn at the lights just before it merges onto Crowchild. But since I haven't been there in years, I don't remember much after that. You'd have to just search your way around once you're on the side streets.

The hill was popular back in the day (5+ years ago), dunno what it's like now since I live in the South in Calgary, and my U of C days have been outnumbered.

A|pine
11-18-2005, 04:04 AM
Sikome lake hills in fish creek park

deerfoot southbound to bowbottom, head all the way past canyon meadows into fish creek

Mr_John
11-18-2005, 04:24 AM
edgemont hill has a pretty nice hill too
its beside the hockey rink

A_3
11-18-2005, 04:32 AM
Strathcona by the Christian Elementary school. I used to live there before they put school in and it was twice as large. Very fun memories from my childhood there, except that time I flipped upside down and ripped half my face off when I was like 6. It's still a great hill though, check it out!

Hash_man
11-18-2005, 05:53 AM
Fish creek park right near bebo grove or whatever its called at the end of 24th st SW... used to go there all the time when I was younger... Just look for the mansions at the top of the hill, that area is the best, soo steep.

Vagabond142
11-18-2005, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
North end: I'd say the hill on University Drive near the 16th Ave bridge (probably one of the best in the city imo)

:werd:

it's about 150 feet long, steep, you can easily hit 50+ kph with the right kind of sled

I forget how to get there exactly, but I'll drive it friday night to be sure :P I love that hill, go there every year

vincent-h
12-19-2005, 05:29 PM
hey can anyone updated me on this with more specific destinations for tyhe univ/16th ave one or prarie winds.

maybe even post a google earth tab and i can map it out how to get to these spots.

Fcuk
12-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Prarie winds is probably the most safest... And not illegal.

JordanEG6
12-19-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Fcuk
Prarie winds is probably the most safest... And not illegal.

:werd: i used to go there lots. its a big hill located in the NE

BokCh0y
12-19-2005, 08:11 PM

:werd: That hill is CRAZY.

12-19-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man
Fish creek park right near bebo grove or whatever its called at the end of 24th st SW... used to go there all the time when I was younger... Just look for the mansions at the top of the hill, that area is the best, soo steep.

:werd: I live right by there, pretty much all along the top of fish creek is awesome!

vietdood
12-19-2005, 10:29 PM
in the NE that park beside castleridge, i forgot what it's called but it's close to the new super store. they have a huge ass hill there in that park.

dj_rice
12-19-2005, 11:20 PM
Crescent Hill :thumbsup:

Gondi Stylez
12-20-2005, 01:04 AM
what kind of sleds u guys got?

xcelr8
12-20-2005, 01:11 AM

South end: the hill behind Glenmore Inn ain't bad. just the shady area, that's all...

haha i work at the Glennmore Inn
ive never gone to that hill before, when i was little i used to go to the one by dead mans park? or sumthing the other end of the hill milican ogden is by

its pretty much deserted after the whole nieghborhood left
you could like get a buddy to drive you up and down cuz theres rarely any traffic around there

DC2
12-20-2005, 01:36 AM
i vote for parie winds if you are in the north, on the hill there are ditches that you can go down on and gawd you go fast!

cman
12-20-2005, 01:41 AM
:werd: That hill is fucking wicked. I injure myself every year at least once on that hill, soooo much fun.

sputnik
12-20-2005, 08:17 AM
There is a REALLY long hill in Elgin (McKenzie Towne). However you are going to have to wait for some snow.

ninspeed
12-20-2005, 08:32 AM
center street n, into downtown

Vagabond142
12-20-2005, 11:15 AM
http://members.shaw.ca/vagabondreviews/hill.jpg

The big white area under "TC-1" and to the left of "University Dr NW" is the big-assed NW hill that I have set a toboggan speed record on (must been hitting mach 3 or so). It doesn't look it, but it is a very deceptively fast hill, have had some massive wipeouts there, bruised my tailbone once because I wiped out into the left chainlink fence once (launched over the steps into the fence). GOD I LOVE THAT HILL!!!!! :bigpimp: :thumbsup:

(BTW, if I have the wrong area (which I don't think I do) correct me and I'll put up a new image :) )

FiveFreshFish
12-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Thorncliff-Greenview Community Association
5600 Centre St N

mo_money2supe
12-20-2005, 11:27 AM
^^ :clap: :clap: That's the correct map of the hill that I first mentioned and that everyone's been raving about!

Good thing I know the city of Calgary in the back of my head though, 'cause that map sure is confusing to look at at first. It doesn't help that Crowchild is incorrectly labelled 24th St. on the map either. In any case, hope that gives you guys a sense of where the infamous "suicide hill" is. At least that's the name I've always known it as since I've been a child!

Vagabond142
12-20-2005, 11:44 AM
Crowchild isn't improperly named.... it's not named at all on the map. Google earth puts the names right on the streets... 24th is that tiny italian-style street with the hard 90 turn that leads to all the restaurants along that stretch. It's the little road that starts at Banff Trail and goes to Stadium Nissan :D

mo_money2supe
12-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Crowchild isn't improperly named.... it's not named at all on the map. Google earth puts the names right on the streets... 24th is that tiny italian-style street with the hard 90 turn that leads to all the restaurants along that stretch. It's the little road that starts at Banff Trail and goes to Stadium Nissan :D

Ahhh...I see, I see. My bad! But in any case, if people are informed where Crowchild is on that map, it'd make it easier for them to visuallize what section of the map it is.

A_3
12-20-2005, 12:40 PM

We went there a couple weeks ago with our GT's, right when it was as icey as it could possibly get. It's such a rowdy hill, you can easily get going way to fast going down it. And there was a pretty solid jump mid way down, I still have the bruises all over my body from it.