PDA

View Full Version : Help with a cooking xmas gift

Melinda
11-18-2005, 10:22 AM
Hey everyone,

Well xmas is coming and I'm starting to think of some christmas gifts or family and friends. I was thinking of getting my dad some cooking stuff, cause that's what he really loves to do. He mentioned a little while ago that he was looking for some new pots and pans. I was thinking of getting him a few to make him happy, but I'm looking for TOP QUALITY. Something pro star that heats evenly and isn't some teflon or aluminum "no stick" garbage. Haha I value their health too much to get them stuff like that.

Anyways, I was hoping some of you guys might have some ideas for some kick ass pots and pans. He just got a gas range so something that heats REALLY evenly is ideal. I've heard copper is pretty awesome to cook with, any ideas there? Any insight you could offer, as well as where to look would be awesome. Thanks everyone!

Ben
11-18-2005, 10:34 AM
the BEST cookware is some high end cast iron. Thats the best for even heating, ESPECIALLY when cooking with gas.

Almost all professional chefs will swear by it. Plus it can go from Stovetop to oven and back.

I know how much your father loves to cook, and so I think cookware is a terrific gift.

I vote for a nice cast iron set.

Melinda
11-18-2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks, any ideas where you can get it piece by piece?

Kirbs17
11-18-2005, 10:51 AM
I know Ive seen some high end items at the Bay, although I dont know if they carry that item specifically.

sputnik
11-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Williams Sonoma in Chinook is the best place for cool kitchen gadgets. I was looking for a good egg poacher for a while now and they had one.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/

Melinda
11-18-2005, 10:52 AM
^^ I dont want to risk giving my dad knock off crap or used cookware. I'd prefer to be able to go there, see it and pick it out myself...thanks for the tip though!

wildrice
11-18-2005, 10:58 AM
pottery barn in chinook maybe?

Melinda
11-18-2005, 11:06 AM
^^ I was hoping more for a wholesale place that wont charge me like a retail store would...wehre do the pro's get their stuff? I'm sure they dont walk into the mall to grab their cookware! I think the mark up on it would be brutal!

sputnik
11-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Melinda
^^ I dont want to risk giving my dad knock off crap or used cookware. I'd prefer to be able to go there, see it and pick it out myself...thanks for the tip though!

Huh? Knock off? Used?

Williams Sonoma is owned by Pottery Barn and is :bigpimp:

Its also in Chinook and has FoodTV hosts there every week.

Melinda
11-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Oh sorry sputnik, I was refering to Kirbs17's suggestion of ebay, you just got your post in there before I could hit the submit reply button :P

BebeAphrodite
11-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Err... I think Kirbs meant the Bay not ebay. he he he

lint
11-18-2005, 11:56 AM
Check out the Happy Cooker. They have a few stores, one in Market Mall. Local company, smaller and will provide you great service.

I personally wouldn't go with cast iron. Yes it's great for heat distribution, but the weight makes it hard to use. Can you imagine sauteeing vegetables in a cast iron skillet? You'd break your wrist! Copper is right up there, but the price may be prohibitive. You may want to go to one of the stores mentioned, talk to the folks there and find something that will fit your budget. (for example, I saw a full copper set at William and Sonoma for over $5000).

abyss
11-18-2005, 11:59 AM
The Le Creuset pans are AMAZING. My grandmother's favorite roaster was Le Creuset and the fact that they're still around making cookware should be pretty indicative of the quality.

abyss
11-18-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by lint
Check out the Happy Cooker. They have a few stores, one in Market Mall. Local company, smaller and will provide you great service.

I personally wouldn't go with cast iron. Yes it's great for heat distribution, but the weight makes it hard to use. Can you imagine sauteeing vegetables in a cast iron skillet? You'd break your wrist!

Apparantly you've never met Melinda's dad......lol, I'm sure he'd be able to handle a little cast iron pan.

bimmer330
11-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Compleat Cook in Bankers Hall has a nice selection of higher end cookware.

Melinda
11-18-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by lint

I personally wouldn't go with cast iron. Yes it's great for heat distribution, but the weight makes it hard to use. Can you imagine sauteeing vegetables in a cast iron skillet? You'd break your wrist! Copper is right up there, but the price may be prohibitive. You may want to go to one of the stores mentioned, talk to the folks there and find something that will fit your budget. (for example, I saw a full copper set at William and Sonoma for over $5000).

I just want one great piece, so something like one expensive copper skillet wouldn't be too bad. What I'm trying to do for him is get him a great Frying pan and I'll be making him a gigantic cookbook FULL of all the different things he likes to cook. I'm just looking for where I can get things peice by piece, cost isn't an issue so long as I'm not getting hosed in the process :)

Originally posted by abyss

Apparantly you've never met Melinda's dad......lol, I'm sure he'd be able to handle a little cast iron pan.

Hahaha! So true! Dad could handle it! Cast iron or copper is most likely what i'll end up going with! I just need to know where to get it :)

lastprodigy
11-18-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Huh? Knock off? Used?

Williams Sonoma is owned by Pottery Barn and is :bigpimp:

Its also in Chinook and has FoodTV hosts there every week.

:werd:

szw
11-18-2005, 03:07 PM
How about a sweet set of knives. You can purchase some safely online and save a lot as well, wheras its not as practical to order a set of pots online.

Also here is a good a link comparing types of cookware.
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article.php?id=120

I don't think getting an entire cast-iron set is a good idea.

Gondi Stylez
11-18-2005, 03:55 PM
I have ALWAYS wanted the All-Clad line of copper pots! Cast iron is good but by NO MEANS the best! It just doesnt lend its elf to everyday cooking uses! Yes, its great for thinks like steak, corn bread or roasting peppers, but its uses are limited! Copper just cannot be beat! As long as you get the lined ones, either with stainless steel or aluminium. Im sure he will love this set! You can mix and match to fit your price range and what pots he would mostly likely use most often. BTW the frying pan is CRAZY!! Like show stopper, the 12" is INSANE!

Last year I bought stainless steel outter, aluminium inside and copper bottom and I love them. They heat evenly, easy to clean and do the job really well!

All-clad is the best pot brand IMHO and most chefs would probably agree.

By the way, on top of the pot set you are getting your Dad I would throw in a ceramic knife! I got mine in August and I couldn't be happier and I swear by Whustof knifves! And hey the proceeds go towards breast cancer research! They have pink handles!

Good luck! Oh yea, go to the cooking store in Bankers Hall... that is where I buy most of my stuff and for knives I buy online from this reputable source and test at the store in Bankers Hall. But I bought the ceramic kycero knife at W-S! I got suckered! ;)

Melinda
11-18-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
Last year I bought stainless steel outter, aluminium inside and copper bottom and I love them. They heat evenly, easy to clean and do the job really well!
thanks for the tip, I dont want anything with aluminum in it, using it to cook is apparently really bad for ya, leads to all sorts of things like Alzimer's and what not. I'll keep my eye out for some good copper pans though, and the ceramic knife sounds pretty good too :)

abyss
11-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Just be careful not to get cheap aluminum then Mel, look for anodized aluminum cookware and even with cheaper aluminum it will only react with very acidic or very basic foods. Your daily aluminum intake comes from a variety of sources you wouldn't even expect :)

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf876942.tip.html

BerserkerCatSplat
11-18-2005, 06:05 PM
I'm not sure what your budget is, but I'll toss out a couple of suggestions.

T-fal has a nice stainless steel (though you can get an anodized aluminum version) set, that can go into the oven (up to 500 degrees) much like a cast iron set.

http://www.t-fal.ca/tefal/products/product/index.asp?univers%5Fid=100&dept%5Fid=110&sku=L00071&mscssid=9RHGL9AQMT1K8KP235JB4X5RPJPQ3GUC

As another suggestion, a good set of knives! There's nothing I love more when cooking than a sice, sharp set of knives! If you want to go all-out, a set of superior ceramic knives are my suggestion. Kyocera makes a nice cet of Damascus-style ceramic blades. Pricey, as a 6" chef's knife is $130.

http://www.metrokitchen.com/kyocera/kyotop.html

szw
11-18-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

thanks for the tip, I dont want anything with aluminum in it, using it to cook is apparently really bad for ya, leads to all sorts of things like Alzimer's and what not.

This is a myth.

doublepostwhore
11-18-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by abyss
Just be careful not to get cheap aluminum then Mel, look for anodized aluminum cookware and even with cheaper aluminum it will only react with very acidic or very basic foods. Your daily aluminum intake comes from a variety of sources you wouldn't even expect :)

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf876942.tip.html

Who eats bitter food anyways? (bitter = base) most acids you will cook with, the highest being vinegar will not beable to dissolve let alone react with cured aluminum.

Most resturants cook with alu pans with Copper bases. Aluminum heats very VERY unevenly, dont believe the candian tire/tfal commercials. Copper on the other hand heats VERY evenly. Cast Iron is the best, but it takes a keen sence of responsibility to mantain/first cure the cast iron so that you can cook with it without stuff sticking to it. Oiling routines, not washing it with certain soaps, or soap at all.

Another thing to do is to go to a cooking store and see if they do pan taste test... it is where they boil water with Baking soda in it until the water is saturated with baking soda... a pan that doesnt hold onto food on a molecular level will first not show signs of boiling (bubbles on the bottom!) and second (the tester) if food has been cooked in it, the water will taste soley like baking soda (bitter) and not like anything else.

dufferson
11-18-2005, 11:18 PM
go to the jolle chef. good place, the guy that runs it was on the board to get your cooking red seal at sait last i remember.

Madspinner
11-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by dufferson
go to the jolle chef. good place, the guy that runs it was on the board to get your cooking red seal at sait last i remember.
Yeah I was going to say go to jolle chef for knives, they have a good selection, that is usually where I get most of my equipment for work.
Im trying to remember the other place that I used , but will find the name and get back to you.