PDA

View Full Version : Flying to US, is a passport required now?

w3apon
11-18-2005, 02:13 PM
I have to do a flight to the US in a couple days and don't have time to renew my passport.
I know there was talk about it but can't recall if it's in effect., Is a passport required for flight travel to the US yet or can I still get away with just drivers license and birth certificate?

edit: I just found out it's January 1, 2008, sory for the post, I can't seem to delete it.

InfiniteJoy
11-18-2005, 02:17 PM
no

You need a birth certificate and photo ID.

lastprodigy
11-18-2005, 03:03 PM
Just make things easier ro everyone and take a passport.

93hustler
11-18-2005, 03:36 PM
I heard pretty soon is going to be mandatory to have a passport to go into the US. Take a look on some government websites you should be able to find out there.

JAYMEZ
11-18-2005, 03:40 PM
^^ Yup soon it will be mandatory , best bet is to bring your passport.

Edit: If you dont have one , you can go to Blacks and get passport ids , then you can go to a post office and pick up a passport application , fill it out , then there is a building down town close to China town you can go to , and get it all signed and what not , then have it rush ordered to you.

Ajay
11-18-2005, 03:52 PM
For the time being you can enter the US with your drivers license and your birth certificate. That's what I'm doing when I go in beginning of December.

After Dec 31 though in order to enter the US you must have a passport regardless.

t-im
11-18-2005, 04:35 PM
I thought some airlines now required passports?

But either way, makes things much easier with one.

89coupe
11-18-2005, 04:36 PM
I just came back from Vegas. Drivers License and Birth Certificate is all that is required.

Nissanaddict
11-18-2005, 04:44 PM
I'll give em my polish passport and see what they say if I go down there. :thumbsup: my Canadian one expired this year.

wesseam
11-18-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by dodad
can you request youre passport fast? like say in 24 hours?
from what i understand the only way to get one right away is if you have a famliy emergancy over seas and dont have a passport. other then that you have to wait 10 working days.

JAYMEZ
11-18-2005, 05:07 PM
^^ :werd: 7-10 days.

Ajay
11-23-2005, 01:56 PM
You can pay extra to get your passport processed faster. I think it's something like $50-60 extra and they can have it done in about 2 or 3 days.

Friend of mine did that when he needed a passport quick cause his company required it for him to go down to the US.

I'm going to Phoenix/Vegas beginning of Dec and I'm taking my DL and my BC with me. Didn't have time to get my passport done.

ninspeed
11-23-2005, 07:47 PM
all i had crossing the borders this fall was my licence.. did not have my birth certificate. I crossd the border half a dozen times or so... only time i got hassled was going back in to canada at the detriot/windsor border, and the one going into winnipeg

wesseam
11-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by dodad

Really....umm ya when i needed my birth certicate i got it within 24 hours.
really......... umm ya when i wanted a passport to go to the states it took 7-10 working days.
i know i dont need one to go to the states just prefured to have one.

wildrice
11-23-2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Ajay

After Dec 31 though in order to enter the US you must have a passport regardless.

Shiet can someone verify this??

Cuz I'm leaving for vegas ont hte 30th of dec
and will be returning on jan 2nd and I don't have a passport.

Would I have any trouble getting back??

likwid
11-23-2005, 08:01 PM
It was on the news the other night, it wont be mandatory until 2007

eljefe
11-23-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by wildrice

No worries, and getting back is not the problem anyway, you are dealing with Canadian Customs on the way back in , the point of concern is going over to the US , government picture ID and a birth certificate is what is required.

As to passports , yes 10 business days is right , I just had my kids passports delivered yesterday. We could have paid extra and had them in approx 5 days.

Have fun in Vegas!

wildrice
11-24-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by likwid
It was on the news the other night, it wont be mandatory until 2007

Thanks.

Originally posted by eljefe

No worries, and getting back is not the problem anyway, you are dealing with Canadian Customs on the way back in , the point of concern is going over to the US , government picture ID and a birth certificate is what is required.

As to passports , yes 10 business days is right , I just had my kids passports delivered yesterday. We could have paid extra and had them in approx 5 days.

Have fun in Vegas!

Sweet, thanks.

I am really looking forward to this trip!

DarkDream
12-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Does anyone know what else what else you can give them for two pieces of ID to get the passport...?? My certificate is locked up and its hard to get at it... my birth certificate is not in this country... so all i have is a drivers's License and i don't know where my SIN card is.... any solutions??

gkAeris
05-16-2006, 10:52 AM
UP, so just to confirm

not mandatory till 2007,
and DL and BC is enough, (i know passport is preferred)

Ben
05-16-2006, 11:02 AM
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/help/faq_e.aspx#115

2002civic
05-16-2006, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict
I'll give em my polish passport and see what they say if I go down there. :thumbsup: my Canadian one expired this year.
my canadian one was 3 months expired and they still accepted it, as long as you have one and your pic isnt that far off they dont care too much

gkAeris
05-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Ben
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/help/faq_e.aspx#115
THANKS BEN,

I GUESS THAT SUMMED IT UP :D

dino_martini
05-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by wildrice

Why dont you just go get your passport? seriously, it takes 10 days..

Si_FlyGuy
05-16-2006, 05:34 PM
My friend was travelling with 3 others to the US. The two who didn't have a passport got strip searched - one of which was a 60 year old lady. Neither of them looked like criminals.

vincent-h
05-16-2006, 07:42 PM
Passport still not require dto travel to the states, you can even used a expired passport last i checked.

Ajay
05-16-2006, 11:10 PM
You don't need a passport to travel to the States. I came back from Vegas two weeks ago and I just had my drivers license and my birth certificate. You can still do this until Dec 31/06 if flying into the US from Canada. If you drive into the US from Canada you can still enter into the US with a DL and BC until Dec 31/07.

Either way.....passport is less hassles.