PDA

View Full Version : paint side moldings for integra?

MooseJawian
11-18-2005, 06:53 PM
i have a 3G integra RS, it does not come with the body color side moldings. I tried to search some local acura dealerships, the body colour side moldings cost about 800 bucks without installation,which i think it is definitely a rip off since they are all rubbers the only difference is the paint.so I figure maybe I can try to paint the moldings by myself. but I do not know where to start,I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to paint.
Thanks guys..

frozenrice
11-18-2005, 07:09 PM
I'd suggest you check and see if you can get a used set from a wrecker or ebay for cheap. Paint those before you install them. This way you won't have to worry about masking the car off and you'll have an extra set in case you're not happy with how they turn out.
For paint, make sure you do some homework before spraying away cause you don't want the paint to start falling off after a few months. Surface prep and quality/proper paint make a difference. I'd suggest too that you try to get your paint custom mixed at a auto paint supplier. This way its fresh. I tried a can from a big chain store and the paint came out in blobs cause it was sitting on the shelf too long.

izzoblitzo
11-18-2005, 07:13 PM
^ he's right... I'd definately paint them before installing.. I've seen someone's do-it-yourself paint job on a car before without doing any prep work, and it started flaking within weeks... once the weather changes, the paint will expand, and without any say... primer to hang onto, or any top coat to hold it all together, it'll start flaking... it'd look like garbage, and then you'd wished that you bought it painted and installed from the dealer.