PDA

View Full Version : stupid dishonest people

ziehr_ca
11-19-2005, 04:35 PM
ok, so here's the story
last thursday my wife was driving the car downtown and she came up to an intersection. the truck in front of her went out too far at the light and started backing up.......and hit our bumper with his hitch. they both got out and he looks at the hitch shaped crack in my bumper and asks if it was there already!!!............uh, no
here is where the problems start, he handed my wife his card and jumped back in his truck and left. now i know they should have both pulled over and exchanged insurance info but she had never been in an accident before and was a little shooken up. she did manage to get his license plate # though.
i took it in on friday to get an estimate and the little crack is going to cost 800 bucks to fix
and so we call the cell number on the card and it is out of order, and we have called the 1-800 number on it everyday this week and left a message with no response

has anyone else had this kind of experience and if so what did you do about it? is it too late to call the police and file a report? is it illegal to not to go through the insurance company to fix this damage?

any advice would be appreciated

A790
11-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by ziehr_ca
ok, so here's the story
last thursday my wife was driving the car downtown and she came up to an intersection. the truck in front of her went out too far at the light and started backing up.......and hit our bumper with his hitch. they both got out and he looks at the hitch shaped crack in my bumper and asks if it was there already!!!............uh, no
here is where the problems start, he handed my wife his card and jumped back in his truck and left. now i know they should have both pulled over and exchanged insurance info but she had never been in an accident before and was a little shooken up. she did manage to get his license plate # though.
i took it in on friday to get an estimate and the little crack is going to cost 800 bucks to fix
and so we call the cell number on the card and it is out of order, and we have called the 1-800 number on it everyday this week and left a message with no response

has anyone else had this kind of experience and if so what did you do about it? is it too late to call the police and file a report? is it illegal to not to go through the insurance company to fix this damage?

any advice would be appreciated

You have his plate. Go the police. THEY will call him, and I'm more then confident it will get resolved that way (hit and run is never a good thing).

l8braker
11-19-2005, 04:40 PM
^ :werd:

damn though eh :thumbsdow

kaput
11-19-2005, 05:49 PM

ricosuave
11-19-2005, 06:35 PM
hit and run

toyboy88
11-19-2005, 06:53 PM
and i also hate friggin' people that when u ask them to do something/drop something off/meet to buy something from you...and you call them like 3/4 times and there like "yes for sure"...and they don't show/come/etc.

argh my stupid rant of the day:guns: :hijack:

ziehr_ca
11-19-2005, 07:38 PM
yah toy, i have had it happen with ppl coming to see something i am selling and spend all night at home for them not to show up, not cool
but back to my thread, initially i was just gonna let this guy pay for a bumper from the wreckers and give him and his insurance a break, but now that he has been an ass i want to definately go through his insurance.
does anyone know if there is a time limit on reporting something like this to the insurance company or cops
it has been 1.5 weeks and i am worried it will look suspicious if i come up now and say there has been a hit and run, especially since the scenario could look like i rear-ended him

GoChris
11-19-2005, 10:54 PM
you really should have called the cops by now.

ricosuave
11-19-2005, 10:55 PM
just go fill out the report now and tell them why it was late

the facts will come out

rico

Zero102
11-19-2005, 11:24 PM
If it's within 2 weeks, they usually put it through no problem.
They understand that people will try to settle things privately, and that it usually doesn't work out.
If you've called the number, and the guy isn't answering, nail his ass to the wall.
Call the cops, it's a hit and run, since he gave you invalid contact information.

mo_money2supe
11-19-2005, 11:31 PM
Aren't you given like 2 years to report an accident? :dunno: Correct me if I'm wrong on that. Maybe the 2 years is only if you have already collected their insurance info, NOT for hit-and-runs.

But yeah, report the accident anyway. Whether or not they gave you false information, it's better for the cops to deal with it. It won't cost you anything other than your time.

rtsen
11-20-2005, 12:41 AM
Technically you don't even have to get the police involed if it's under a certain amount, < $1000 I think.

So i'm sure if you explain it to the police it should be fine

infected
11-20-2005, 01:25 AM
Not sure what you're waiting for, he's obviously trying to avoid you and was picking on your wife. Get his insurance involved if he wants to be an ass, and is your wife hurt physically, emotionally, etc?

ziehr_ca
11-20-2005, 02:29 AM
thanks for all the advice guys, the police will be getting a call in the morning
i hate it that i was trying to make this easier for him and now because he wants to be difficult its gotta get alot messier, but in the end we've both learned a lesson
EXCHANGE INSURANCE INFO!

Zero102
11-20-2005, 12:15 PM
Aren't you given like 2 years to report an accident? Correct me if I'm wrong on that. Maybe the 2 years is only if you have already collected their insurance info, NOT for hit-and-runs.

The 2 years is the claim limitation without a statement of claim, with which you can extend this almost indefinately.
Now, if you don't report the accident for more than about 2 weeks, you're going to be in for a whole world of pain when you do. I was rear-ended by a person insured through ICBC. Tried to settle it privately for almost 2 months before I called them up, and I've never had such a fight.
Every single time I talked with them, it always came up about how I waited so long to claim, and since they couldn't locate the guy who hit me, that made it even MORE fun. However, the police did let me file a police report almost 2 months later, and they did their best to track this guy down, especially considering he had skipped out of ontario on parole, and there was a warrant out for his arrest....

Anyhoo, that's my story, not yours.
So, report it ASAP. :D