PDA

View Full Version : Greyhound questions.

Carfanman
11-20-2005, 12:29 PM
1) I'm having trouble using the greyhound site www.greyhound.com

I'm putting in options for trenton NJ to Buffalo NY and I hit search, then I got to the second page, I dont fill out any discount options, because I dont qualify, and then I click on "schedules" and I get this error

Error
There was an error: You must enter at least one adullt passenger number. If you were not given passenger information options, it may be because our system was temporarily undergoing maintenance.
This error can also occur if your departure or arrvial city is not correctly identified.
Please return to Step 1 and try again.

I dont understand what its asking about an adltu passenger number. I cant find those options. Am I just overlooking the passenger information options? Where are they?

They are not temporarily undergoing maintenance because I had this problem 15 hours ago.

2) Can you take Greyhound over the border? I'm not sure because there are seperate site for grehound.com and greyhound.ca and it asks you to specify at the greyhound homepage which greyhound site you want.

I would just try it and see, but I keep getting that error, so I cant get to the next page.

3) What kind of experiences have you had on the Greyhound busses? Would you recomend using them?

4) If I cant take greyhound over the border, can I cross the border by bike:rofl: (this seems like a stupid question, but I'm seriouse.)

Carfanman
11-22-2005, 10:24 AM
bump

girlRACER
11-22-2005, 12:24 PM
To my knowledge, the daily buses at the station in Calgary do not go across the border. They go as far across Canada as Vancouver and Toronto but anything across the border does not appear on their schedule. There might be less frequent buses (weekly?) that do but you have to check with them.

I took a greyhound to red deer to visit my bf recently. It was a comfortable ride and the chairs are easy to sleep in although for me, the ride was very short (1:45 hr). There are some dinky television sets spread across the bus and they're hard to see but you can purchase headsets from the driver to tune into them. I would suggest bringing a laptop to watch DVDs or something.

As far as crossing the border on a bike, I don't see why not :dunno: I personally haven't done it before but I've seen people do it. So long as the bike is not leased, you can take it. Otherwise, you would have to let the leasing company know before you leave the country.

benyl
11-22-2005, 12:36 PM
You can walk over the boader if you want.

People do it at Niagra falls all the time.

Carfanman
11-24-2005, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the answers.

Now I'm getting a different error:

Error

The departure and/or arrival city you requested does not return a schedule for online ticketing. This situation may be due to no scheduled service on the date you selected.

Please select a different date of travel and try your request again.

For additional fare and schedule information within the U.S., contact our Telephone Information Center at 1-800-231-2222.

This seems straitforward enough, but at the top of the page it says : Locations by State. I clicked on that, clicked on new jersey and it said that they had a station in trenton. So thats not the issue. Then I clicked on trenton, and the times were good also. Samething with newyork and buffalo. So now I'm confused.
Can someone else try it and see if it works for them?

lastprodigy
11-25-2005, 02:25 AM
Just call them, itll make it a hell of lot easier!

DC2
11-25-2005, 06:28 AM
i went to vancouver 2 years ago and i took a greyhound. the trip there was just so so. i thought it would be "cool" to sit closer to the back. But it turned out that i like to see where im going so on the way back me and my cousin reserved the seats closest to the front. it was perfect coming back we drove through the night, no one sat in the front so my cousin went to sit across from me and we had 2 seats to ourselves!

it would make sense but than again it would make sense if they didnt seeing how much easier it might be "smuggle" things across.

EDIT: jsut get there an hour or so earlier so you are frist in line to choose a seat.

GTS Jeff
11-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by girlRACER
I took a greyhound to red deer to visit my bf recently. It was a comfortable ride and the chairs are easy to sleep in although for me, the ride was very short (1:45 hr). There are some dinky television sets spread across the bus and they're hard to see but you can purchase headsets from the driver to tune into them. I would suggest bringing a laptop to watch DVDs or something.

A bit off topic, but might I suggest to everyone travelling between Calgary/Edmonton/Red Deer to try the Red Arrow.

I've obviously needed to take the bus many times, and I've taken both the Greyhound and the Red Arrow and for the small price difference you get a way nicer ride with Red Arrow. Some advantages of it:

-it's much faster (we pass Greyhound buses on the highway, it's kinda funny haha)
-VERY nice, large, comfortable, leather seats
-free drinks and cookies at the back, along with magazine and newspapers
-the clientale you share the bus with are usually businessmen and students vs. hobos and vagabond families.

ninspeed
11-25-2005, 12:58 PM
you can take a greyhound over the border... in windsor, there is no pedestrian passes over the river... there is the bridge, and the tunnel... the only way accoss is in a taxi with the border pass on it.. or greyhound... you still have to go through customs though

Rockski
11-25-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

A bit off topic, but might I suggest to everyone travelling between Calgary/Edmonton/Red Deer to try the Red Arrow.

I've obviously needed to take the bus many times, and I've taken both the Greyhound and the Red Arrow and for the small price difference you get a way nicer ride with Red Arrow. Some advantages of it:

-it's much faster (we pass Greyhound buses on the highway, it's kinda funny haha)
-VERY nice, large, comfortable, leather seats
-free drinks and cookies at the back, along with magazine and newspapers
-the clientale you share the bus with are usually businessmen and students vs. hobos and vagabond families.

first: how much (ish) is the price difference

second: riding the greyhound is awesome, i used to do it all the time and there were many adventures that you couldnt have on a bus full of "businessmen"

GTS Jeff
11-25-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Rockski

first: how much (ish) is the price difference

second: riding the greyhound is awesome, i used to do it all the time and there were many adventures that you couldnt have on a bus full of "businessmen" The price difference is $15.

And my idea of "awesome" isn't riding shotgun with Mr. lysol breath or having mystery-white-stain on my seat or getting off the bus smelling like urine, or for that matter, having the entire freakin bus break down and having to wait on the side of the highway for another hour in sweltering heat then finally writing a letter to Greyhound just to have them say too bad sucka.

Fuck those hobo-totin, piss-smelling, air-conditioning broken motherfucks!

Rockski
11-25-2005, 11:07 PM
hahahah awesome jeff, although it hasnt happened to me yet, so im not jadded. i still think they greyhound is fun to travel on if youve got no car and you dont mind chattin it up with strangers, some of em are pretty weird, granted, but others have some crazy stories

tirebob
11-26-2005, 01:47 PM
My parents are agents for Greyhound. One of the perks is that the direct family could ride anywhere greyhound goes in canada for free. I used to log major hours on the bus. When I was 16, I rode from Vancouver to Quebec on the bus... Definitely long and drawn out, but met tons of cool people on the way and partied a lot! Great way to travel if you have time on your hands and a good attitude, but if you are impatient and don't like spending a lot of time with stragers, flying is easier...

CRXguy
11-26-2005, 04:09 PM
Yeah, for the local people here, use Red Arrow instead of Greyhound. The busses are newer, but the main selling point are the cookies and pop. :rofl:

GTS Jeff
11-26-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Rockski
hahahah awesome jeff, although it hasnt happened to me yet, so im not jadded. I get depressed even being in a Greyhound bus depot haha. One time I took the Greyhound from Toronto to Cleveland and hooollly shit that was the longest ride of my life. I sat next to a fat black lady that insisted the bus driver was racist cuz the air conditioning didn't work. :nut:

Carfanman
11-28-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
I sat next to a fat black lady that insisted the bus driver was racist cuz the air conditioning didn't work. :nut:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

FiveFreshFish
11-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
Yeah, for the local people here, use Red Arrow instead of Greyhound. The busses are newer, but the main selling point are the cookies and pop. :rofl:

Do they still have the wider seats? I remember they used to have single seats behind the driver, then two seats on the other side separated by a narrow aisle.

Pee_Sack
11-28-2005, 06:59 PM
and greyhound has buddy fare

me and my g/f went to edmonton for $100 less than taking red arrow, if you buy your tickets 3 days in advance you get the second one half price.

I don't mind greyhound, granted I have never riden on Redarrow I cannot really complain. Either way I would bring my portable dvd player and watch a couple movies.

I like meeting interesting people on greyhound.

CRXguy
11-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Do they still have the wider seats? I remember they used to have single seats behind the driver, then two seats on the other side separated by a narrow aisle.

IIRC, it's 2 seats per side. I haven't been in one for a long time now though. I'm pretty skinny so the seats were comfortable for me. :D

GTS Jeff
11-29-2005, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Do they still have the wider seats? I remember they used to have single seats behind the driver, then two seats on the other side separated by a narrow aisle. Yep, it's good shit. The fact that Red Arrow saves over an hour on the trip is worth it. Time is money.