PDA

View Full Version : Cuba or Dominican Republic

koopkoop2
11-20-2005, 02:20 PM
Has anyone ever been to the Dominican Republic and Cuba? I'm trying to decide between the two for a ~2 week vacation over Christmas.

I've already read the two threads here about the DR and it seems like the kind of place where you spend all your time at the resort because the surounding area is too sketchy. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if Cuba has alot to offer outside of the resort, as well, than I would prefer to go there instead. Is Cuba similar or can you actually venture outside and get to see the country?

It would be nice to hear some comments from anyone who's been to Cuba too.

Weapon_R
11-20-2005, 02:23 PM
My sister and her husband went over the summer to the dominican. They liked it but as you mentioned, it is far too sketchy to leave the resort area.

The resort has tons of things to do, but by the end of the week my brother in law was very bored.

I'd opt for Cuba. Just as established and you get to take in the different way of life there.

phreezee
11-20-2005, 06:54 PM
Went to Cuba 2 years ago and I rented a scooter a couple of times and rode a couple miles to a near by outdoor market and a mall. Always felt safe, you could stop and ask directions without fear.

The big difference is since the US trade embargo, tourism is Cuba's #1 industry. Cuba LOVES Canadians because they are their livelihood. Also, being communist, the criminal justice system is tougher and not too many people would risk spending the very long time in jail for petty crime.

Everything I hear about DR, I don't think I'd ever go there.... I'd rather go to Mexico for cheaper and face the same perrils.

kaput
11-20-2005, 10:05 PM

Kirbs17
11-20-2005, 10:08 PM
I went to Cuba in December of 2005. We were there for 8 nights, 9 days. We Stayed at the Paradisus Varadero. The service was amazing. The people where overly friendly. The resort offered a 24 hour/day bar service (crucial for people my age). The resort was about an hours bus trip away from Havana, and about 20 minutes by cab to Varadero. It was an amazing trip overall. They offered a tonne of activities, a lot of beach volleyball and beach soccer. And nothing beats smoking a fine Cohiba well sipping on some 7 Year Havana Club rum right next to the beach. (Both are insanely cheap at the resort gift shop) Hope this helps. Paradisus (http://www.signaturevacations.com/svec/ApplicationSentry?Comp=300&ProductId=441)

theken
11-20-2005, 11:48 PM
yeha i went to cuba in september, man it was just me and my girlfriend but we still had an awesome time, i would have wanted to go with a bunch of friends but it was still fun, you have to go on some little half day trips like the catamaran boat tour, we got to go swim with dolphins and eat lobster and all that, that was an awesome time. we also did a 4x4 jeep tour, they were suzuki sidekicks not jeeps but they still worked and you actually get to drive not the guide. we stayed at the playa alameda which was beautiful, our room was like 20 feet from the pool and like 100 from the ocean.

i have never drank som much and smoked so many cigars, also if u smoke cigs they are like 60 cents a pack i loved it. i would suggest cuba to anyone

86max
11-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Does anyone know if it's true that you're not supposed to tip in Cuba? Someone told me that because it's communist you are discouraged from leaving tips for people that serve you, but it's alright to give them trinkets etc?? I forget the reasoning behind it but that's the general point that I got.
:dunno:
I leave in 2 weeks so it'll be good to know that!

thx in advance

Kobe
11-21-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by 86max
Does anyone know if it's true that you're not supposed to tip in Cuba? Someone told me that because it's communist you are discouraged from leaving tips for people that serve you, but it's alright to give them trinkets etc?? I forget the reasoning behind it but that's the general point that I got.
:dunno:
I leave in 2 weeks so it'll be good to know that!

thx in advance

Not true at all...
They love tips.. :D
Bring tons of $1 US bills down, atleast 50....
The service is 10000X better with tips...

I'v been to both, was in Varadero in Cuba, stayed at the tryp penninsula...
We have a few friends that just went down this morning... Its a pretty nice hotel, but the service wasn't all that great, had to wait 5min for a drink sometimes, becuase they never had enough glasses...

When you go shopping and cuba and in the DR, both places love canada.. They all have cousins in canada.. So its "CHEAPY CHEAPY" and "BEST PRICES IN TOWN" in both places they will say $60USD for a little braclet, and you can get it down to $5...

If you go down, stay at a 4+ star all inclusive hotel, its about $250? more, and makes a ton of a difference...

I'm sure you will be in the hotel most of the time anyways, maybe go on a trip for a day or two...

But overall I liked the dominican more...

86max
11-21-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

Not true at all...
They love tips.. :D
Bring tons of $1 US bills down, atleast 50....
The service is 10000X better with tips...

Cool, thanks man!

Kobe
11-21-2005, 02:07 PM

Cool, thanks man!
They will take anything they get, I think they make $180USD avg a month...

Every dollar helps...

Kirbs17
11-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Some of the employees at Paradisus made $100 USD/month, well others that interacted with guests more made $200 USD/month. The people outside of the resort, such as bus drivers and cabbies, are almost too aggresive to get a tip

86max
11-21-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

They will take anything they get, I think they make $180USD avg a month...

Every dollar helps...

Yeah, I know I would've felt real bad not tipping. I'll most likely be on the resort for most of the trip, and it's an all-inclusive so tips will be the only thing I really need to spend on!:D

Maybe I'll do a Beyond cigar run:devil:

eljefe
11-21-2005, 03:42 PM
I think both are great places to go and someone mentioned the Paradisus in Cuba, it is awesome as is the one in Dominican. Cuba is a very friendly safe clean place to visit . Especially in the tourist areas. Dominican it depends where you go but I am especially partial to the Punta Cana area, Puerto Plata is a little tired and less safe and has reoccuring issues with maleria, as well the beaches are far nicer and less rain in Punta Cana. I was saddled with the dilemma with which to go to as well after my resort in the Mayan was destroyed by Wilma. I have opted for Dominican Republic mostly for the time of year. I am going in December. Cuba unfortunately being a short distance from Florida is succeptable like Florida to cooler weather fronts coming through in Dec/Jan . Not terrible mind you but I have been there in December and had daytime highs of 19 or 20. I love the sun and heat so I went Dominican. Good luck where ever you pick , both are awesome places. Make sure in Cuba you go minumum 4 starts pref 5 stars, the standards a little lower and food tends to be not as good in Cuba. Either way the drinks are cold and the beach is sandy!

Kirbs17
11-21-2005, 05:08 PM

Yeah, I know I would've felt real bad not tipping. I'll most likely be on the resort for most of the trip, and it's an all-inclusive so tips will be the only thing I really need to spend on!:D

Maybe I'll do a Beyond cigar run:devil:

Hell, If you could pick me up one of the small boxes of Cohiba Siglo VI Tubos Cigars (they come in a box of three, i think for about 48 american) I'll give you $100 for it

Kirbs17
11-21-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by eljefe
. I am going in December. Cuba unfortunately being a short distance from Florida is succeptable like Florida to cooler weather fronts coming through in Dec/Jan . Not terrible mind you but I have been there in December and had daytime highs of 19 or 20.

That wasnt the case at all when I was there. The coldest it got was 25, and on christmas day it was 38 above. It didnt rain once, the wind never got up, and it was hot as hell all 9 days.

86max
11-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Kirbs17

Hell, If you could pick me up one of the small boxes of Cohiba Siglo VI Tubos Cigars (they come in a box of three, i think for about 48 american) I'll give you $100 for it

I'll see what I can do :)

fast95pony
11-21-2005, 06:18 PM
I was in Veradero,Cuba for New Years last year.Had a great time..
Never been to D.R. though..

I found the Cubans to be friendly and polite.The food wasn't very fancy ,but it was tasty , and I never got sick.

rockym20
11-21-2005, 11:46 PM
A friend of the family took a bunch of old cloths with him to Cuba (old T-shirts, jeans and the like). He got to know this one guy who was doing construction near the resort (concrete work) when he would go for walks. He gave this guy all his old cloths, because even though he had a job, he was still dirt poor. The Cuban guy was so happy, he couldn't believe it. The Cuban guy even started to cry. It was like winning the lottery for him.

Anyways, if I had a choice between the 2, I'd take Cuba in a second. Havana is one of the oldest cities in the western hemisphere and has an amazing history and interesting architecture.

koopkoop2
11-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by theken
yeha i went to cuba in september, man it was just me and my girlfriend but we still had an awesome time, i would have wanted to go with a bunch of friends but it was still fun, you have to go on some little half day trips like the catamaran boat tour, we got to go swim with dolphins and eat lobster and all that, that was an awesome time. we also did a 4x4 jeep tour, they were suzuki sidekicks not jeeps but they still worked and you actually get to drive not the guide. we stayed at the playa alameda which was beautiful, our room was like 20 feet from the pool and like 100 from the ocean.

i have never drank som much and smoked so many cigars, also if u smoke cigs they are like 60 cents a pack i loved it. i would suggest cuba to anyone

:clap: Do you remember the name of that 4x4 place? I definately want to do that!

koopkoop2
11-22-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm reading that there's two parallel currencies in Cuba.

Cuban Peso and Cuban Convertible Peso. Are there any advantages to carrying either one? Which one should I carry the majority of my funds in?

fast95pony
11-23-2005, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by koopkoop2
I'm reading that there's two parallel currencies in Cuba.

Cuban Peso and Cuban Convertible Peso. Are there any advantages to carrying either one? Which one should I carry the majority of my funds in?

Yeah , that's correct . The Convertible IIRC was given to tourists to use. The locals cannot spend them ,only exchange them at banks.

As a tourist , you will only be able to use the Convertible .

If you can , take some old cothes if you have room ,and if you can ,leave some toiletries (toothpaste etc. ) .The locals love that .
I left what I could , and the maid was really grateful.
All the tourists who visit Cuba regularly take stuff with them.

The employees at the resorts are very friendly and work really hard and very long days,and you won't have to put up with people begging all the time.

I reccommend a guided trip to Havana.It's a very cool city,but watch for kids pestering you for stuff.

And of course , check out the '50's cars
and the occaisonal Russian car or truck. :thumbsup:

Kirbs17
11-23-2005, 01:50 AM
I saw two boras when I was there, 2 pimped out black heavily tinted mecerdes benz, and a 1990's style ford f-150

tawheed
11-24-2005, 11:54 AM
just got back from cuba two days ago... went for a full week.. amazing place, i'd recommend it to anyone.. not crazy for partying but super chilled and tons of things to do...

-tawheed

koopkoop2
11-24-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by tawheed
just got back from cuba two days ago... went for a full week.. amazing place, i'd recommend it to anyone.. not crazy for partying but super chilled and tons of things to do...

-tawheed

Cool, where did you stay?

tawheed
11-24-2005, 04:54 PM
We were going to stay at the Playa Varadero but we decided on the Palma Real.. Couple of buddies and myself... Awesome country, super rich culture and history... Great cigars too =]

-tawheed