PDA

View Full Version : REQ: Bi-Xenon Headlight startup

AllGoNoShow
11-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Anyone have the video of the Benz (I believe) runnign the Bi-Xenon headlights i think they were, weren't HID's. They started up in 2 stages i believe.

Chester
11-20-2005, 04:07 PM
No. Bi-xenon is hid. Only difference with a Bi-Xenon setup is, there are high beams and low beams. They start up the same as any other xenon setup.

AllGoNoShow
11-20-2005, 04:11 PM
OK so then a video fo the Xenon setup.

It was something 2 stagged thats all I know, slightly turned on, the gas seemed to warm up then the normal lights turned on after around 2-3 seconds, then the high beams were seperate.

Seanith
11-20-2005, 06:11 PM
What you seem to be describing is lowbeam HID, with a halogen bulb for HI/running lights. Bixenon setups from what I have seen are just Hi/low utilized with one bulb. You turn on the lows, then with the high beam a solenoid moves the shield letting out more light.

AllGoNoShow
11-20-2005, 06:24 PM
no, no sheild moving. It was almost like a 2 stage filament but it wasnt from swithcing from low to hi, it was just running to low beams, like the gas heating up or something. Wasn't near as bright enough tobe highs.

7thgenvic
11-20-2005, 06:31 PM
i can take a vid of our X5 which has bi xenon if you want on warm up

AllGoNoShow
11-20-2005, 06:34 PM
:D::D::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

yes please :D

benyl
11-20-2005, 06:36 PM
That is just normal start up. Both the STi and the Bimmer do it.

luderollup
11-20-2005, 06:58 PM
i didnt think that BMW ran xenons during the day, as DRL's... only Audi and Mercedes.. it is most likely different for a bixenon as most DRL's, are just running off the hi-beam at a lower power

Chester
11-20-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by luderollup
i didnt think that BMW ran xenons during the day, as DRL's... only Audi and Mercedes.. it is most likely different for a bixenon as most DRL's, are just running off the hi-beam at a lower power

They don't run xenons during the day, well at least the M3's don't go on during the day.

AllGo, I think your just talking about the warm up stage of the lights. When I flick the lights on they are super blue then warm up to a bright white.

AllGoNoShow
11-20-2005, 08:20 PM
maybe that too :S

got a vid? :D

Chester
11-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Give me a minute.

AllGoNoShow
11-20-2005, 08:52 PM
kkk

Goblin
11-20-2005, 09:10 PM
All BMW's have the inner lights as DRLS

they also function as high beams on non-equipped HID.

HID units are depending on year, bi-xenon or not.

for example, this upcoming year im upgrading to factory hid for my car. 2000. it will not have bi-xenon as the LCM and car does not support it (light control module)

thats it in a nutshell.

some units, when warming up, just turn on fast.. or they slowly warm up to full intensity!

Chester
11-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Heres a video of some E55 Hella bi-xenons starting up in a eclipse.
I'm to busy to make a video;)
http://www.rcaz.com/movieclips/startup98.wmv

edit: fogs are hid to

AllGoNoShow
11-20-2005, 09:41 PM
Sweet, I still wish I coudl find that video I saw before. Maybe its in Beyond archives somewhere.

b_t
11-20-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Chester
Heres a video of some E55 Hella bi-xenons starting up in a eclipse.
I'm to busy to make a video;)
http://www.rcaz.com/movieclips/startup98.wmv

edit: fogs are hid to

ahaha I know that car! its a very nice car, a 2GNT like mine :D
nice headlights and foglights...

Drsuce
11-25-2005, 05:45 PM
was it benzo's sig?

his hid's looked pretty dam cool starting up in that sig

FiveFreshFish
11-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
Anyone have the video of the Benz (I believe) runnign the Bi-Xenon headlights i think they were, weren't HID's. They started up in 2 stages i believe.

On an '04 E46 the bi-xenon headlights turn on, then the beam lowers and goes back up to its normal level. This all happens in about 2 seconds.

ryder_23
11-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Yep, they have the self levlers level out n such. Thats why there is also a noticelble color change from different angles cause the sheild (cut off) is moving.

The new 3series have really really sensitive adaptive headlights, i've never seen them move with the car that well, its almost mesmorizing :rofl:

AllGoNoShow
11-25-2005, 09:19 PM
video???

HiSpec
11-25-2005, 09:37 PM
the leveler is usually mounted in the rear no?
and does the leveler move the projector? or the sheild?
i think the auto leveler only kicks in when you are at above certain degree of incline

and the color change is actually the color bands in the cutoff when you hit bumps and dips. not necessarily the auto leveler.

Goblin
11-26-2005, 02:58 AM
the leveler is usually mounted in the rear no?

Incorrect. How would it know its higher than the front? In all BMW's, the auto level feature is four sensors, just alongside the brake sensor. James, you know where this is eh.

and does the leveler move the projector? or the sheild?

The sensors guid the leveler, that moves the shield, that encompases the projector.

The projector is the glass dome that holds the bulb and gives the really nice D2S cutoff.

i think the auto leveler only kicks in when you are at above certain degree of incline

Leveling means just that, the lights are always level, to a certain degree. (You couldnt see if your lights are level and you are going up a 20 degree incline, now could you.)

and the color change is actually the color bands in the cutoff when you hit bumps and dips. not necessarily the auto leveler.

What?!?!? lol. Thats kind of right, but then again. I really dont have a way to fix this, its just a messed up comment.

HiSpec
11-28-2005, 01:19 AM
haha Goblin, lemme rephrase my color change color band again

ur shield is the key component in creating the colors at the cutoff.
the color and amount of color is determined by the bend of the shield, the curve of the shield, the design of the shield (how sharp and how steep the "cutoff" on the shield), the distance of the shield from the capsule, or from the projector depending what you are referencing to.

now the color band at the cutoff takes up about 2-3 degrees of your projected lights. so when people are seeing the flickering of the lights from blue to purple (and all the blue and purple combination in between) they are seeing the color band. and that happens when people are looking at cars that just floated over a bump or hit a hole, causing the viewer to seeing the top of the cutoff, which is where the color band lives.

some people who wants lots of colors bends the shield forward slightly (curve towards the projector)
or even want a much more distinct and sharper cutoff they put washer in between the capsule and shield itself.
i think out of all oem headlights, the S2000 have the most sharpest cutoff ever... its like day time under the cutoff, and total darkness above cutoff.

AllGoNoShow
11-28-2005, 01:31 AM
Ok so yah, its just HID's basically I was looking for :)

Here is the plan for me...

3000k HID for Fogs (Yellowish)
6000k HID for Lows (Slight Blue)
5300k HID for Highs (Bright White)

Anyone got any suggestions?

HiSpec
11-28-2005, 09:51 AM
go OEM, 4300/4500K would get u the most usable light and whitest.

5300K isn't bad too, white with a bluish tint.

u should retrofit the 3000K in yor fogs, with a razor sharp cutoff you'll be enjoy all driving weather.

Chester
11-28-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by HiSpec
haha Goblin, lemme rephrase my color change color band again

ur shield is the key component in creating the colors at the cutoff.
the color and amount of color is determined by the bend of the shield, the curve of the shield, the design of the shield (how sharp and how steep the "cutoff" on the shield), the distance of the shield from the capsule, or from the projector depending what you are referencing to.

now the color band at the cutoff takes up about 2-3 degrees of your projected lights. so when people are seeing the flickering of the lights from blue to purple (and all the blue and purple combination in between) they are seeing the color band. and that happens when people are looking at cars that just floated over a bump or hit a hole, causing the viewer to seeing the top of the cutoff, which is where the color band lives.

some people who wants lots of colors bends the shield forward slightly (curve towards the projector)
or even want a much more distinct and sharper cutoff they put washer in between the capsule and shield itself.
i think out of all oem headlights, the S2000 have the most sharpest cutoff ever... its like day time under the cutoff, and total darkness above cutoff.

:werd: TSX has a very sharp cutoff too

AllGoNoShow
11-28-2005, 11:37 AM
so maybe 5300k for lows and liek 4500k for highs? My lows and highs run together so if I can find a nice slight blue tinge not overly bright for lows then find a bright white for my highs, the 2 togerther shoudl gvie a nice look while lighting the road.

FiveFreshFish
11-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Personally, I would stick with halogens for dedicated high beams (i.e. not bi-xenons) and maybe run higher wattage bulbs in them. When you use high beams on the highway, they are switched on and off many times. This is hard on the ballast and bulb and may greatly shorten the equipment's life expectancy. They also don't light up as fast as halogens which means you don't get the full amount of light immediately, and flashing your high beams may not be feasible. HIDs are best for steady-state operation, not intermittent operation.

AllGoNoShow
11-28-2005, 11:58 AM
The only time I flash them is when Im trying to piss my buddy off or some dick is getting in my lane etc...

The trying to piss my buddy off I can stop ;)
And some dick in my lane normaly equates to horn and fist anywyas so I don't need to flash my high beams at them :)

I'm not overly worried about life expectancy as I seem to go through cars quickly, even with that in mind, the replacement parts aren't overly expensive and could get bulk load for relatively cheap too probably.

FiveFreshFish
11-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Ah, well in that case I'd go 4100K highs and lows, and 3000K fogs. :)

Chester
11-28-2005, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Ah, well in that case I'd go 4100K highs and lows, and 3000K fogs. :)

:werd:

If you have a proper retrofit then you will get the color you want from your lights in the cutoff.

AllGoNoShow
11-28-2005, 10:48 PM
Proper retrofit as in??

I plan on getting Angel Eye/Halo Eye projectors sometime before spring, just got confirmed of my job offer so I will be bringing in my coin now.

HiSpec
11-28-2005, 11:38 PM
does ur current 735 have projector headlights?
if it does, is it OEM HID projector?

because if you just put in rebased HID capsule in your current NON-HID prpjector, you will create glare, and your result will not be very satisfying. This will ten-fold in NON-HID reflector based headlights (especially those non-oem HID in VW, no offense).

To properly retrofit, means you take a HID projector and fit them into your current headlights.
You have 2 options basically.

1) if your current headlights are halogen projector, this should be relative easy fit. Just find out the dimension of your current halogen projector, and find which car have HID projector that are very similar or exactly dimension to your halogen projectors. Then just crack open the headlights, and swap the projetors.

2)if your current headlights are halogen reflector-based, this will need your creativity and some crafting skills. You will need to open up your headlights and take some measurements and see what HID projector will fit into your headlights. Then you'll need to hack, cut, saw, hammer, or whatever to fit them into your headlights. Of course, with careful and easy-does-it planning, your retrofit will look like something from OEM.
And also, you'll need to make some shroud yourself so the lights some escape outside the projector.

Now, about the highbeams. I strongly recommend halogen high beam. Unless you have Bi-Xenon, which the soleniod will do the work for you, and create the optimal beam pattern for high beam. If you are just going into HID for low, then halogen is your best bet for high beam. unless you are willing to retrofit another set of projectors into your high beam and adjust the shield for high beam usage.

however, DO THE 3000K FOGS!!! you'll make those IS300 and ES300 jealous!! haha

Seanith
11-28-2005, 11:51 PM

halogen is your best bet for high beam

:werd:
Unless using Bixenon

FiveFreshFish
11-29-2005, 12:20 AM
Did someone mention OEM HID projectors? :D

http://www.members.shaw.ca/trust.no.one/Misc/Projectors1.jpg

Mmmmm... colour!!!

http://www.members.shaw.ca/trust.no.one/Misc/HeadlightPatternClose.jpg

AllGoNoShow
11-29-2005, 12:21 AM
The fogs is a definate. I got just before new years to figure my shit out for the highs and lows but I love the look and the brightness of HID comapred to these damn Halogens. Was in a newer lexus SUV and GOD DAMN does it make a difference, her lows were like my highs :( I jsut about cried when I got back into the car.

Bi-Xexon is a single bulb tho so it would render one fo my headlights useless on each side, making it look funny if you ask me.

AllGoNoShow
11-29-2005, 12:22 AM
Omg five, where the hell did u get those?

What are they out of? You putting them in the 3? The 3 and 5 and 7 all have similar headlights, think it would work for me too? Hell I'll pay u to do it to a set of a Angeleyes ;)

FiveFreshFish
11-29-2005, 12:34 AM
Current plans are to replace the old-school ZKW projectors.

I bought 3 pairs to see which ones fit best and which gives the best beam pattern. So far, I'm leaning towards the medium-sized projectors but I haven't received my D2S bulbs yet. The other two pairs I'll sell on eBay when I'm done my retrofit. They're all single beam HID projectors, i.e. they're not bi-xenons.

Here's what they are by size:
Medium = Acura TSX (similar to S2000)
Small = European BMW E46
Large = European BMW E39/E53

Some guy tried an Acura TL bi-xenon but it was too big for the retrofit. The BMW bi-xenon isn't quite as sharp as the TL but it's a lot smaller.

Edit: Pic of S2000 HID projector retrofit. :eek:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/trust.no.one/Misc/acura_integra_with_s2000_projectors.jpg

AllGoNoShow
11-29-2005, 12:39 AM
What size are your actual headlghts and how are you mounting them to the BMW lenses etc..?

Interested in doing some for me? I'll pay for all parts and labour :D

FiveFreshFish
11-29-2005, 01:33 AM
I haven't taken the ZKWs apart yet, but I think the projectors are about 2.5" or 2.75" in diameter.

Mount will be a custom metal frame if I can't get the existing projector mount to work. One set of machine screws with double nuts will mount the projector to the plate, and another set will mount the plate to the internal housing. Slotted mount holes will allow rotation of the projector so it can be aligned horizontally.

The inner glass lens has to be discarded, so I'll fabricate a shroud or bezel to hide the gap between the projector and the housing using lexan.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/trust.no.one/Misc/ZKW_14.JPG

Let's see how my project goes first before I jump into anything else. ;)

AllGoNoShow
11-29-2005, 01:39 AM
Sweet sounds like you got it planned out.

When you plan on doing yours?

Goblin
11-29-2005, 03:19 PM
What a thread full of knowledge and insight. woohoo!

FiveFreshFish
11-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Sweet sounds like you got it planned out.

When you plan on doing yours?

Probably start next week when the D2S bulbs arrive. I'll be picking up the materials this week and hope to build a jig for the headlights (to replicate the original relative positions of the high and low beams). I'll try do a DIY with photos.

HiSpec
11-29-2005, 07:31 PM
hey AllGoNoShow,
is your 7's headlight fluted lenses are diamond lenses? Because fluted lenses does decrease the HID projector's efficiency.

and Five... nice stash :thumbsup:
sounds like you have been shopping at junk yards hehehe

FiveFreshFish
11-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Thanks, HiSpec. These all came from the states (eBay) and then the gov't took their chunk of GST at the border. :banghead:

AllGoNoShow
11-29-2005, 07:43 PM
Not sure if they are "fluted" or diamond, too fin cold to check, whats fluted too?

HiSpec
11-29-2005, 09:19 PM
hey man, the gov't always ALWAYS gets a piece of everything!!

fluted as in textured lenses.

AllGoNoShow
11-29-2005, 09:23 PM
mmm i think they are fluted.

Not sure, and just looking at my old pictures for some chick, I think my low beams are projectors? They have that same kind of beval like the ones Five bought. you can kind of see them in the first pic in my gallery, that big empty spot in the lights is where they are.

?????
11-29-2005, 09:34 PM
FiveFreshFish...you gonna do this with your TSX projectors or what? :drool:

http://www.haknslash.com/pictures/HID/fritenitesretro/aligned/P1010005.JPG

AllGoNoShow
11-29-2005, 09:43 PM
o god thats hot:drool:

FiveFreshFish
11-29-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by ?????

Holy crap that's a lot of colour! The only disadvantage with that is you lose a bit of sharpness when you mod the shield for colour.

Thanks for the photo link; I snooped in the directory and spent about a half hour browsing his HID pics! :D

http://www.haknslash.com/pictures/

Chester
11-29-2005, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by ?????

HakNslash does some amazing retro's. Is that the retro in his SRT-4? Weren't they TL projectors?

AllGoNoShow
11-29-2005, 10:49 PM
The supra was TL projectors. GOD DAMN thats bright.

Chester
11-29-2005, 10:50 PM
The supra was TL projectors. GOD DAMN thats bright.

I'm pretty sure he has TL projectors in his SRT-4, I remember watching a video he made.

AllGoNoShow
11-29-2005, 10:52 PM
Maybe the SRT does too, dunno, all I know is that supra is sick. I think I found a winter project I can do inside, retro fitting time :D

FiveFreshFish
11-29-2005, 10:52 PM
I thought I saw 3 different retrofits looking through a few directories.

- TL bi-xenon
- TSX
- S2000

There may have been more that I missed.

Chester
11-29-2005, 11:01 PM
found the TL retro in his car

http://www.haknslash.com/pictures/TL/TLSRTretro/P1010051.JPG
http://www.haknslash.com/pictures/TL/TLSRTretro/P1010054.JPG
http://www.haknslash.com/pictures/TL/TLSRTretro/P1010043.JPG

I think all of that is with one headlight

AllGoNoShow
11-29-2005, 11:04 PM
I thought I saw 3 different retrofits looking through a few directories.

- TL bi-xenon
- TSX
- S2000

There may have been more that I missed.

Your using the TL one or the TSX one?

I wonder how I should do it for mine.... still kind of stuck on the 2 HID kits, one for high one for low. Is there any stock cars with 2 HID's, highs and lows, that I should snatch the projectors out of? Or most of them signle bulbs *bixexon*

AllGoNoShow
11-29-2005, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Chester
found the TL retro in his car

http://www.haknslash.com/pictures/TL/TLSRTretro/P1010051.JPG
http://www.haknslash.com/pictures/TL/TLSRTretro/P1010054.JPG
http://www.haknslash.com/pictures/TL/TLSRTretro/P1010043.JPG

I think all of that is with one headlight

Holly shit that looks amazing, man Im excited.

HiSpec
11-29-2005, 11:19 PM
i honestly can't say i know any cars that have dedicated seperate hid projectors each for high and low... from OEM that is. However I do know someone who has done this modification to their headlights. Go check out Tony the Tiger (400+ whp 1MZ) at toyotanation.com/forum.

But if you really really really want hid for both highs and lows... you would have to go with Bi-Xenon, and use your current high beam as flasher and DRL. However, there will be lots of electrical rewiring and playing with relays.

and that picture with the cutoff. that is some really really REALLY crazy color band, what projector is that? must be some crazy bending on the shield.

different projectors have different characteristics. from different lenses style to different shield design, the cutoff cutting, and even the distance from the capsule affects the output.

go check out some of the projector at work there.

?????
11-29-2005, 11:24 PM
I'm pretty sure that picture i posted is from his TSX projectors with his ultimate color mod. But like he says every single projector will be different if you want color. He just got lucky with his.

I'm personally going to retro s2000's into my car.

FiveFreshFish
11-29-2005, 11:24 PM

Your using the TL one or the TSX one?

I wonder how I should do it for mine.... still kind of stuck on the 2 HID kits, one for high one for low. Is there any stock cars with 2 HID's, highs and lows, that I should snatch the projectors out of? Or most of them signle bulbs *bixexon*

I'm using the TSX projectors. The TL bi-xenons are too big to fit in my housings, but they're a good choice if you've got the room.

I don't believe there are any cars that have 4 factory HID projectors. Older cars usually have single-beam low HID projectors and halogen high beams. Newer cars like the latest E46 have bi-xenon in the outer headlights while the inner headlights are for DRL or flashing only.

I might have read about someone converting all 4 headlights each to bi-xenon. This gives you 4 low beam HIDs and then 4 high beam HIDs with a flick of a switch! :eek:

HiSpec
11-29-2005, 11:29 PM

I might have read about someone converting all 4 headlights each to bi-xenon. This gives you 4 low beam HIDs and then 4 high beam HIDs with a flick of a switch! :eek:

that is just fukin nuts man!! imagine how much road you'll light up, using both low and highs at the same time, but then you'll blind every person ahead of you with your highs.
you can host a search team for SWAT

AllGoNoShow
11-29-2005, 11:33 PM
Dude, that gives me the idea. Thats the plan. 4 low 4 high, Bi Xenon setup. Now I got to find projectors. Anyone know of anything that would work? Should I jsut double up TSX projectors? I think our headlights are around the same size so if they work for you they would work for me. Throw double BiXenon bulbs in them. I know it isn't that simple but I need to start somewhere.

Chester
11-29-2005, 11:34 PM

I'm using the TSX projectors. The TL bi-xenons are too big to fit in my housings, but they're a good choice if you've got the room.

I don't believe there are any cars that have 4 factory HID projectors. Older cars usually have single-beam low HID projectors and halogen high beams. Newer cars like the latest E46 have bi-xenon in the outer headlights while the inner headlights are for DRL or flashing only.

http://img5.picsplace.to/img5/3/Pics_2-18-05_086_2.jpg
http://img5.picsplace.to/img5/3/BMW_Meet_November_045_2.jpg

Edit: He also made them adaptive. (The lights turn as he steers)

?????
11-29-2005, 11:36 PM
thats awesome man 4 adaptive projectors. :eek:

Chester
11-29-2005, 11:36 PM
Another

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/EVeRcyCLinG/CFtrim.jpg

AllGoNoShow
11-29-2005, 11:37 PM
Oh My God

Im goign to splurge if Chester keeps posting pictures. Im fuckign pumped now.

I was thinking of those adaptive headlights but I think for my car they would be too hard to retrofit in. I would need to see an assembly with the adaptive part to see how big it was.

HiSpec
11-29-2005, 11:39 PM
hey how does the adaptive work? i know what it does, but what senor does it follow? does it have some kind of yaw senor that the headlights follow, that if the car's turn angle is higher then certain degree it would turn out so many degrees?

and does both headlight turn when the car is turning, or only the side that it is turn?

Chester
11-29-2005, 11:41 PM
Another thing you have to remember is he has HID fog lights to.
So 4 hid hi/lo and 2 hid fogs :eek:

Chester
11-29-2005, 11:42 PM
hey how does the adaptive work? i know what it does, but what senor does it follow? does it have some kind of yaw senor that the headlights follow, that if the car's turn angle is higher then certain degree it would turn out so many degrees?

and does both headlight turn when the car is turning, or only the side that it is turn?

I'll try and find out what he did, I remember him posting about it on another board I'm on.

?????
11-29-2005, 11:45 PM
http://www.bmwworld.com/technology/lighting.htm

http://www.automotivedesignline.com/howto/159900610

AllGoNoShow
11-29-2005, 11:46 PM
Yah, it will be an HID machine :D

I just got an offer on some A6 projectors, D2S bulbs, Phillips ballasts, so I'm awaiting pictures, going to hunt some pictures down, maybe get some sizes and figure out if they will work for me.

AllGoNoShow
11-29-2005, 11:47 PM
Actually now that I think of it, I won't need Adaptive, with 4 low or 4 high I will be bright enough around all the bends :P

AllGoNoShow
12-04-2005, 05:20 PM
While I'm still planning this out, anyone got any ideas for turnsignals?
If I'm going all out why not try to find something for them too. I think it may be a little far fetched tho.

AllGoNoShow
12-04-2005, 05:21 PM
If I'm going all out why not try to find something for them too. I think it may be a little far fetched tho.

AllGoNoShow
12-04-2005, 08:05 PM

Hey Five where in Calgary do you live? Any chance I could come checkout all the stuff you got and what you have planned?

I'm thinking I might have more room then you so I may be able to fit the TL projectors, and if they are Bi-Xexon then all I need would be one more complete set and I'd be good to go for 4 hi 4 lo and 2 fog :D:D

Goblin
12-04-2005, 10:25 PM
i honestly can't say i know any cars that have dedicated seperate hid projectors each for high and low... from OEM that is. However I do know someone who has done this modification to their headlights. Go check out Tony the Tiger (400+ whp 1MZ) at toyotanation.com/forum.

But if you really really really want hid for both highs and lows... you would have to go with Bi-Xenon, and use your current high beam as flasher and DRL. However, there will be lots of electrical rewiring and playing with relays.

and that picture with the cutoff. that is some really really REALLY crazy color band, what projector is that? must be some crazy bending on the shield.

different projectors have different characteristics. from different lenses style to different shield design, the cutoff cutting, and even the distance from the capsule affects the output.

go check out some of the projector at work there.

Well I do. My car, (2000 e46's) have the inner light drl + highbeam, and outer is headlight. A guy on e46fanatics.com has the inner a projector made from the regular e46 projectors (used for lights). our cars do not have bi-xenon.

in the states, = no drl. The highbeam is a dedicated projector HID. :D

Hey Five where in Calgary do you live? Any chance I could come checkout all the stuff you got and what you have planned?

I'm thinking I might have more room then you so I may be able to fit the TL projectors, and if they are Bi-Xexon then all I need would be one more complete set and I'd be good to go for 4 hi 4 lo and 2 fog :D:D

I hate when people forget to turn down there high beams on my little country roads.. So jame, when this is all done, we shall go for a trip. Turn on 4 HID's at 6k and kill them. They will get the idea ahhahah

Goblin
12-04-2005, 10:31 PM

www.jlevisw.com (http://jlevistreetwerks.com)

Im looking at getting a set myself, these will do the trick for you:

http://jlevistreetwerks.com/OSCOMMERCE/product_info.php?products_id=204&osCsid=05528b8d1ddbbcc406c19d1ca9521898

Jon Levi Street Works, for fanatics, by fanatics.

www.e46fanatics.com for customer reviews. Good product. I will be ordering shortly as well.

Damn chester, beat me to the 4 projector set up. Good pics, havent seen the close up from top down yet.

FiveFreshFish
12-06-2005, 01:05 AM

I'm in the NW. You can come by to check out the projectors if you'd like.

FYI, I don't have the TL projectors. The TL bi-xenon I mentioned was attempted by a guy in the US who found it was too big, so he retrofitted the TSX ones. I have the TSX, E46 ECE and E39/E53 projectors. I'm leaving the high beams alone so they can still function as DRLs, which won't be an issue for you. I'll probably go with the TSX projectors.

My bulbs still haven't arrived yet so I'll have to chase down the vendor to see where they're at. I can't really get started until the bulbs arrive.

I found this mounting plate and adjuster kit that I might pick up just to see if it'll make the install a bit easier and cleaner.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/hella%20images/SMS90MP.jpg

CrazeUK
09-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Ok guys, i cannot sayi have ever met people this interested in lights..but good on you. You seem to be masters..hey maybe you should consult with BMW.

Anyway, unfortunatly i am not here to add to your pool of knowledge but to get help from it.

I recently bought a 1999 323Ci of a friend (i think its an E46), its the new shape anyway.

Everything was going fine, untill a few things happened.

1. Their was a creaking noise from the rear passenger side of the car. which i have given up on and decided to live with.

2. Last week, my drivers side break light whent a little strange. It appeared to have gone out (blown bulb), however, randomly it came back on, then whent out again and back on. Now it seems to have gone ok (since problem number three started).

3. I was parked on a incline, of a high kerb. The drivers side was at the top of the incline. It was wet weather.
I returned to the car and turned my headlamps on. All of a sudden it flicked on and of and on again in quick successtion.
I thught that was strange so i turned the lights of and then turned them on again. The same thing happened.
I then thought great i blew a bulb. I then commenced my journey. When i got out of the car i checked the headlamps and the flickering one had gone a strange glow of purple.

Now everytime i turn the lamp on, it clickers and switches off.
I asked a friend who has an obession with is BMW's he did a bit of asking and someone said the ballast may have blown. Whats a ballast, and could this be the case or does someone know better.

I would REALLLY DEARLY appreciate the help.

(p.s. can someone PM me as well if they know the answer.)

Thanks in advance!

p.s. i forgot to ask, what is a HID conversion? and what doe sit do?

SunniSunShine
10-04-2007, 03:17 PM
you bumped an almost 2 yr old thread and your main questions were unrelated to the actual thread

http://www.brettonstuff.com/images/toothpaste.jpg