PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Royal Purple Synthetic

ALBERTA_IS
11-20-2005, 08:37 PM
Hey guts, I was thinking about replacing all my fluids to royal purple. I have an 04 RX 330 and would like to see if it makes as big as a difference as everyone says. I wouldn't mind an extra pony two and there isn't too much out there for performance wise. Anyways I would like to here if anyone here has had experience with it. Thanks.

:D

AllGoNoShow
11-20-2005, 08:56 PM
I know quite a few people who have tird it and been happy. If you have the cash to afford those damn fluids then go for it if you ask me.

Another one people seem to liek is the Red Line fluid but I haven't heard much about that.

Good choice to use it now too because once the car gets older the synthetic will seep through gaskets and such and won't stay in, will have to fill up all the time. On the new cars the gaskets are still good so less chance of the synthetic leaking through.

lastprodigy
11-20-2005, 10:23 PM
Most Synthetic users I have know use Mobil 1, I dont exactly know what the advantages of roayl purple are.

FiveFreshFish
11-20-2005, 11:40 PM
Where can you buy Royal Purple?

SilverBoost
11-20-2005, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Where can you buy Royal Purple?

MOPAC carries it. I've used it. Hard to say if there's any extra benefit. I use Mobil1 more than RP though.

FiveFreshFish
11-21-2005, 12:30 AM
Hmm... guess I'll just stick with Mobil 1 then. Works well and I can find it just about anywhere.

Weapon_R
11-21-2005, 12:35 AM
Mobil 1 > *

If the best cars in the world use it, then its good enough for most of ours.

ALBERTA_IS
11-21-2005, 02:16 AM
I have been searching around the net and it sounds like royal purple is not just a synthetic oil. It has great friction loses and increases HP a couple percent and mileage is also increased. I think I am going to go to Mopac and see what it will cost to switch everything over and then go from there. First I guess I should check with Lexus to see if synthetic is ok in my RX. :)

Zero102
11-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Amsoil owns all, but Royal purple and Mobil 1 are both good competition. For the cost of royal purple, unless you are loyal to the brand for other reasons, don't bother, just run Mobil 1.
That said, there IS a local Amsoil distributor.....

rockym20
11-21-2005, 09:58 AM
I run a synthetic as well (Valvoline Syntech). I seriously doubt you will find much of a difference between the different synthetic oils except over the very long term (i.e. 300,000 - 400,000 km) or if you are running a highly modified engine. Is Royal Purple better than Valvoline? Probably. Would I be able to tell the difference between the 2? Probably not, at least not without a dyno.

heavyD
11-21-2005, 10:15 AM
Over the years on various car forums (DSM, Honda, SRT-4, etc) I've seen some negative comments regarding Royal Purple. If you want to go synthetic I would recommend Mobil 1 for 98% of people, the other 2% that absolutely has to have the best should use Amsoil.

dericer
11-21-2005, 10:27 AM
a buddy of mine uses Royal purple.

He blew an engine gasket (unrelated) and lost all of his oil.

He was in the middle of no where, and drove 50 miles with zero oil pressure to the nearest town, and the bloody truck was fine.

After that he swears by it.

*Dunno if the 50 miles is an exaggeration though ;) *

hizzity
11-21-2005, 12:12 PM
on horsepower tv this weekend they changed all the fuilds in a camaro and got a 8hp gain at the rear wheels. Don't use castrol synthetic my dad has used it in two of his cars and both of them spun a crank bearing shortly after.

ALBERTA_IS
11-21-2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks for all the info, I think my gains are going to be felt mostly because I am going from conventional oil to synthetic. Hopefully everything works out good, and if not I can always change the fluids back. Once I do the swap I will post exactly what I see for gains if any.

Weapon_R
11-21-2005, 11:44 PM
You will gain nothing from switching to Royal Purple, except for a little less weight in your pocket. Just something to remember before you do.

ALBERTA_IS
11-22-2005, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You will gain nothing from switching to Royal Purple, except for a little less weight in your pocket. Just something to remember before you do.

Why would you say nothing?? Several independant studies on Royal purple have shown added HP and increased mileage. I am not expecting to gain 100 HP and 10 MPG but I am sure I might get 1 or 2 HP and maybe a little better mileage. Plus I will have less fiction meaning less wear. Of course gains will be minimal but a gain is a gain.:clap:

SilverBoost
11-22-2005, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by ALBERTA_IS

Why would you say nothing?? Several independant studies on Royal purple have shown added HP and increased mileage. I am not expecting to gain 100 HP and 10 MPG but I am sure I might get 1 or 2 HP and maybe a little better mileage. Plus I will have less fiction meaning less wear. Of course gains will be minimal but a gain is a gain.:clap:

Yeah but those gains usually only come from the combination of changing ALL the fluids in the car. A simple oil change, well the butt dyno might tell you something, but that's it. It's all a matter of choice.

ALBERTA_IS
11-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by SilverBoost

Yeah but those gains usually only come from the combination of changing ALL the fluids in the car. A simple oil change, well the butt dyno might tell you something, but that's it. It's all a matter of choice.

My bad, I am going to change all the fluids. Tranny, Engine oil and the front and rear diff. I should have made that clear I guess......I might also throw in their coolant, its supposed to run quite a bit cooler than conventional coolant. remember I am just trying to make the RX run as efficient as possible, any gains incured are going to be a bonus. I guess I am expecting at least some noticeable gains in the way the tranny shifts and hopefully a couple extra KM to the tank but if I don't get that then oh well.