PDA

View Full Version : Service writers.

kennycreeper
11-21-2005, 08:19 AM
I have a close friend who's worked as a tech. for several years, and has a large wealth of mechanical information. However, his body no longer allows him to perform his normal tasks without pain.

How valuable is this knowledge to a dealership, when a person applies to be a service writer? And what are the salaries like, in comparison? I've been trying to get him to apply at dealerships as a service writer, and take some time away from the bays and get behind a computer.

Also, how 'computer savvy' would he have to be?

EK 2.0
11-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Computer savviness would depend on what programs the dealership he would end up working for uses.

The mechanical knowledge is great to have up front trust me, especially when having to deal with a newbie tech as well.

Ven
11-21-2005, 10:54 AM
Most of the better service writters are former techs. At the dealers I've worked for a lot of the older guys, guys that got hurt, or guys that wised up became service writters.

Wages were like 15-20 an hour from what I recall. The computer systems they use are very simple and he'll be trained anyway.

It's a front end customer service position dealing with the 2nd biggest purchase a person will likely ever do, so he'd better be ready to deal with some very irrate and ignorant people on the stupidest and smallest things.