PDA

View Full Version : Raw beef

szw
11-21-2005, 12:04 PM
what different restaurants around town serve different types of raw beef?

gonefishing
11-21-2005, 12:40 PM
most japanese (sushi) restauraunts serve an appetizer dish called "beef tataki" which is pretty much blue rare beef served with a tangy sauce called "ponjue sauce".

FlySi
11-21-2005, 01:24 PM
are you looking for human or cat/dog consumption?

szw
11-21-2005, 01:34 PM
human

89coupe
11-21-2005, 01:49 PM
My favorite raw beef dish is Beef Carpaccio.

A good Itallian restaurant should have this on their appetizer menu.

t-im
11-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by gonefishing
most japanese (sushi) restauraunts serve an appetizer dish called "beef tataki" which is pretty much blue rare beef served with a tangy sauce called "ponjue sauce".

Originally posted by 89coupe
My favorite raw beef dish is Beef Carpaccio.

A good Itallian restaurant should have this on their appetizer menu.

:drool: :drool: yum..

Some steakhouses will have this too.

GQBalla
11-21-2005, 06:10 PM
i like to eat beef on the side at pho places!

put some lime and mint leafs on them and than top with hot sauce and sweet sauce!!!

so good!!!

Nissanaddict
11-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Homemade steak tartar. tasty as hell. I'll have to try that beef carpaccio.

GQBalla
11-22-2005, 01:20 AM
anybody else do beef on the side at pho places??

Raz2
11-22-2005, 01:24 AM
Ewwww :thumbsdow

dragonone
11-22-2005, 06:54 AM
beef tataki is seared (i think it means grilled slightly on one side)
gyu sashimi is completly raw beef

but i'm interested in that italian dish
jap/viet raw beef is getting boring

89coupe
11-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Here is a recipe for Beef Carpaccio, its pretty easy to make.

http://www.italianfoodforever.com/iff/printrecipe.asp?id=3

gkAeris
11-22-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

:clap: wouldn't eat pho any other way!
:drool:

nambis
11-22-2005, 11:49 AM
horse tartar :nut: :drool: :nut: :drool:

RSeXy
11-22-2005, 01:14 PM
i think pho kim will give you raw beef on the side? my dad gets it when he goes there.

i always have to have my beef cooked through...can't take any pink/red....

i've even got Sam from eating medium-rare to medium-well! haha!

and if its me bbq'ing bring your gnawing teeth b/c i cook the shiet out of it! lol

GQBalla
11-22-2005, 01:34 PM
many pho places do beef on the side
i have never been to a pho plac that said they couldn't do it
usually they juss put some meat on a little plate and put onions and green onions on top and give it to you!!

eb0i
11-22-2005, 01:45 PM

I do! I do! It's so yummy!

stevieo
11-22-2005, 02:31 PM
i like to eat beef on the side at pho places!

put some lime and mint leafs on them and than top with hot sauce and sweet sauce!!!

so good!!!

only way to do it, meat is so much softer, more tender its great haha.

i ate raw beef at work before, we took some raw beef slices, put it in a container, squeeze a little bit of lime into it, then eat it. (dipped into soy sauce with spices/hot sauce) its soooooooo good.

calgarygts
11-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Beef tartar isn't bad, and it will increase your synapses firing which in turn lowers your reaction time. Ben Johnson used to eat it all the time.

digi355
11-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Are you guys serious? i thought eating raw beef = sick / dead?? Some kid died this summer from a drop of blood??

szw
11-22-2005, 10:47 PM
I think the important thing is for the beef to be fresh and from a high quality cut. You obviously don't want to be eating raw ground beef.

Nissanaddict
11-22-2005, 10:56 PM
yeah, I'd never eat steak tartar that I didn't grind myself, or witness getting ground.

GQBalla
11-23-2005, 12:59 AM
no idea what steak tartar is....im guessin raw ground beef??

szw
11-23-2005, 01:12 AM
no

Ben
11-23-2005, 03:10 PM
no idea what steak tartar is....im guessin raw ground beef??

Usully a Filet Mignon medium Ground, mixed with spices.

treg50
11-23-2005, 03:14 PM
I hear raw pork wrapped in seaweed is good.

GQBalla
11-23-2005, 06:45 PM
i thought eatin raw pork was bad for you??

Barlow
11-24-2005, 02:47 AM
i seriously think he's joking, although pork is getting much safer, you can no eat it medium rare-medium, which 5 years ago eoulda got frowned upon.

three.eighteen.
11-25-2005, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by RSeXy

i've even got Sam from eating medium-rare to medium-well! haha!

:banghead:

GTS Jeff
11-25-2005, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by digi355
Are you guys serious? i thought eating raw beef = sick / dead?? Some kid died this summer from a drop of blood?? The problem is fecal contamination. Imagine a thin layer of poo covering all the processed beef you buy...cooking will neutralize any poop bacteria (e. coli h7:0157 IIRC). You can get away with eating steak that isn't cooked all the way through as long as you cook the outer layers (to burn off the poop,) but you see the problem with ground beef is that since it's ground, that layer of external poop gets mashed into the insides...so ground beef MUST be cooked through to kill the poopie germs.

I've never had steak tartar before, but I assume they deal with the poop layer in some manner before serving up the beef.

GQBalla
11-25-2005, 03:07 AM
ewwwww.......

ole dsm
11-27-2005, 07:00 PM
i make my own steak tartar, i live on the edge!!!!!!!!!!!!
i use ground beef and pork mixed together, with worchester sauce,salt pepper, red hamburger relish, raw eggs, onions and lemon juice(fresh)

on a fresh bun !!!!!!!!!!!

yyyyuuuuuummmmmmmmmmm
i ate that for years and i still eat it every now and then

GTS Jeff
11-27-2005, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by ole dsm
i make my own steak tartar, i live on the edge!!!!!!!!!!!!
i use ground beef and pork mixed together, with worchester sauce,salt pepper, red hamburger relish, raw eggs, onions and lemon juice(fresh)

on a fresh bun !!!!!!!!!!!

yyyyuuuuuummmmmmmmmmm
i ate that for years and i still eat it every now and then The symptoms of tapeworm aren't always obvious...

jaysas_63
11-27-2005, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
...... thin layer of poo covering all the processed beef you buy.....

.......so ground beef MUST be cooked through to kill the poopie germs......

........I've never had steak tartar before, but I assume they deal with the poop layer in some manner before serving up the beef. .....

:rofl: :rofl: are those the technical terms jeff??...:thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
11-28-2005, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by jaysas_63

:rofl: :rofl: are those the technical terms jeff??...:thumbsup: I try to dumb down my posts for Beyond. :D

But seriously, take MICRB 265 and you talk about this exact topic in the lab. There's actually a ground beef lab. Turns out Safeway ground beef had the least poo on in.

B17a
11-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Jesus H. Christ Jeff! I wish I hadn't read this post!:barf:

While we're on the topic of poo and groceries, I remember on Oprah or some other show years ago, they did a little experiment with shopping carts, in particular the top part where you would stick a little kid. Well, you do the scientific connecting of the dots (think little kid with soiled diaper sitting in the same spot you would put your produce)......:barf: :barf:

Davetronz
11-28-2005, 12:29 PM
Imagine a thin layer of poo covering all the processed beef you buy...cooking will neutralize any poop bacteria.... cook the outer layers (to burn off the poop,)... that layer of external poop gets mashed into the insides...so ground beef MUST be cooked through to kill the poopie germs.

...but I assume they deal with the poop layer in some manner before serving up the beef.

HAHAHAHAHAHHA the person I share my office with must think I am retarded... Just sittin here laughin my ass off...
HAHAHAHAHAHHA POOP

nambis
11-28-2005, 02:24 PM
to make beef tartar, you just need beef that was butchered properly (so that the intestines were not punctured, because that's where E. coli bacteria lives).

Most mass-produced beef will have E. coli because they buther too fast and don't care about intestines. But, really good butchers will have safe meat that you can eat raw.

i have a polish friend, and they have a lot of traditional recipes that include raw beef (and even raw ground beef), but they don't eat it anymore because it's difficult to find uncontaminated beef.

FatboyTheHungry
11-28-2005, 02:33 PM
The problem is fecal contamination. Imagine a thin layer of poo covering all the processed beef you buy...cooking will neutralize any poop bacteria (e. coli h7:0157 IIRC). You can get away with eating steak that isn't cooked all the way through as long as you cook the outer layers (to burn off the poop,) but you see the problem with ground beef is that since it's ground, that layer of external poop gets mashed into the insides...so ground beef MUST be cooked through to kill the poopie germs.

Reminds me of an incident with Jack-In-The-Box in media in the mid 90's where people were getting e.coli poisoning because the "manure content" was too high in the beef...

"Hey, the manure content in my burger is too high!"

GQBalla
11-29-2005, 01:35 AM
ewwwwwwwwww

lol poop!

well juss had a THICK ASS STEAK!!?!! tonite!
it was pretty good!

lol
good thing i never trhought about the poop content on my t bone!

GTS Jeff
11-29-2005, 01:39 AM
ewwwwwwwwww

lol poop!

well juss had a THICK ASS STEAK!!?!! tonite!
it was pretty good!

lol
good thing i never trhought about the poop content on my t bone! As long as the outside of the steak was cooked, you're fine. The poo would have been burnt up.

three.eighteen.
11-29-2005, 02:29 AM
so does beef taste the way it does because of burnt poopies on the outside?

Rav4Guy
11-29-2005, 02:33 AM
and that's why its that color too. burnt poopie color?

Nissanaddict
11-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by nambis
to make beef tartar, you just need beef that was butchered properly (so that the intestines were not punctured, because that's where E. coli bacteria lives).

Most mass-produced beef will have E. coli because they buther too fast and don't care about intestines. But, really good butchers will have safe meat that you can eat raw.

i have a polish friend, and they have a lot of traditional recipes that include raw beef (and even raw ground beef), but they don't eat it anymore because it's difficult to find uncontaminated beef.

It's true. I am Polish myself (but born in Canada....DUAL PASSPORTS!!) and I haven't had tartar in years...although I have eaten so much raw meat in my day that my system is very immune to such things. But it is getting harder to find uncontaminated beef for sure. Stuck with Polish schnitzel...wait, that's not bad at all. :drool: for schnitzel. For anyone going through Kimberly try the schitzel at Mozart...it's owned by a Polish guy I've known for a LONG time. [/shameless plug]

GTS Jeff
11-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict
For anyone going through Kimberly try the schitzel at Mozart...it's owned by a Polish guy I've known for a LONG time. [/shameless plug] Funny enough, I did have the schnitzel at Mozart House in Kimberley. I thought it was ok.