PDA

View Full Version : Best case for keeping dust out??

clem24
11-21-2005, 12:26 PM
Hey guys,

Here's something to ponder: What case do you guys recommend that is a.) quiet and b.) is good at keeping dust out? My sister's computer overheated b/c of the amount of dust inside the case!! I had to take an air compressor and blow the sheeeeet out of it for 5 minutes (ran fine afterwards - thank goodness AMD revamped their thermal protection on the Bartons). She's just using some crappy generic case now.

I've got the Antec Sonata, but it's in a less dusty environment, so can't speak for how it will perform. Anyone with similar experiences and your solution?

Pee_Sack
11-21-2005, 12:32 PM
I have been working as a computer tech for about a year now, and I can tell you that no matter what case you have this is going to happen. Dust collects anywhere no matter what. The best thing to do is get some compressed air and blow the system out every month or so.

aznhavok
11-22-2005, 02:13 AM
I second that. I pretty much tried all kinds of air filters for computers...., wait guess wat yes also car air filters none work. coz car filters has more tigther molecule composition meaning u need alot of air pressure to suck through it. I just got my self of cleaning my rig every 3 months oh yah that includes fresh install of everything

Charon
11-22-2005, 04:22 PM
Ive found a filter reduces the ammout of dust significantly over a computer without a filter. Dust still collects but not nearly as fast and as much. Just remember to clean the filter every now and then.

GTS Jeff
11-22-2005, 04:40 PM
The best thing to do is to make sure the case has positive air pressure (more intake than exhaust) and then put filters on the intake fans. This way, the only air going in is filtered, and the positive pressure prevents dust from sneaking in through chinks in the case. Chinks.

GQBalla
11-22-2005, 05:58 PM
lol
well if i didn't know better i woullda thought GTS Jeff was being racist but

Chink:A narrow opening, such as a crack or fissure.

well i have a in my case i think i have a little negative case pressure right now because i have 2 intakes 2 exhaust

intakes together move about 60 cfm

1 exhaust moves about 35 cfm and im not to sure about the exhaust in the psu but i dunno

or its a little positive not to sure

for me i have a filter over the intakes and its pretty good not to bad i juss spray in air every now and than and clean the filter

once i add my 92 mm fan for my cpu duct ill be addin another filter too which should also lower my temps a bit.

but GTS Jeff is right if you want less dust you want positive case pressure, filters over your intakes. you will have less dust but never no dust.

clem24
11-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Haha, thanks for the tips guys. There's one panaflo (medium I think) exhaust and one on the PSU.. Nothing blowing in. There's probably tons of chinks in the case. Lol. What kind of materials you guys using as air filters? Do filters increase noise? Hmm... Very interesting.

GQBalla
11-24-2005, 02:14 PM
filters only really increase noise if they are like within 1 inch of the fan and or your using a super high cfm fan like those vantec tornado fans