PDA

View Full Version : My new computer

Lex350
11-21-2005, 10:49 PM
So I've ordered a new computer for my home business. My current computer just isn't cutting it. I've been spending too many late nights rendering till 2:00am and then back at my day job by 8:00 the next day. Its been taking a toll on me. I can now run a render on one machine and work on the next one on the other. Here are the specs...........computer nerds please comment:

Processor : Intel Pentium D Processor 820 2.80 GHz w/ 2x1MB Cache, EM64T

Motherboards : Asus P5LD2 Deluxe w/ DualDDR2, Dolby 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, SATA II, IEEE 1394, PCI-E x16

Memory : Kingston 1GB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM (times 2)

Case : Antec Sonata II w/ 450W SmartPower 2.0

Power Supplies : Antec 450W SmartPower 2.0 Power Supply Included with Case

Hard Drives 1 : Seagate 160GB Barracuda 7200.7 Serial ATA w/ NCQ, 8MB Cache

Optical Drive 1 : LG Super Multi DVD Writer 16x16 DVD +/-RW Dual-Layer, Black

Video Cards : BFG Geforce 7800 GT OC 256MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, VIVO

Monitors : Viewsonic VA902B 19in LCD, 8ms, Black (times 2)

I pick it up next Friday..

I know some of you will chime in about the AMD processor but it was more money and I'm sure this set-up will be plenty fast.

Pee_Sack
11-21-2005, 11:01 PM
whats your old system?

seems like a decent system, and i bet you got a pretty good price on it also.

The only thing I don't like is the processor, but you gotta cut money somewhere eh.

Video card :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mobo :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
RAM :thumbsup: :thumbsup: (although I have 2 gigs of ram and have never used it all)
Monitors: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I Love dual display, if i had money I owuld buy another lcd

Lex350
11-21-2005, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Pee_Sack
whats your old system?

seems like a decent system, and i bet you got a pretty good price on it also.

The only thing I don't like is the processor, but you gotta cut money somewhere eh.

Video card :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mobo :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
RAM :thumbsup: :thumbsup: (although I have 2 gigs of ram and have never used it all)
Monitors: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I Love dual display, if i had money I owuld buy another lcd

I have renders that use over 1 gig of memory from time to time.

teknical
11-21-2005, 11:41 PM
I myself would have went with a different make of ram, either OCZ or Micron Original.

But very good setup none the less.

dragonone
11-22-2005, 06:48 AM
would renders take much cpu and ram like encoding jobs?
because i saw an equation once as to how fast they do this based on how much ram you have and what the cpu speed is
so i think cpu ; ram ; video card would b very important in ur case

that's and awesome gaming card you picked btw

Lex350
11-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by dragonone
would renders take much cpu and ram like encoding jobs?
because i saw an equation once as to how fast they do this based on how much ram you have and what the cpu speed is
so i think cpu ; ram ; video card would b very important in ur case

that's and awesome gaming card you picked btw

the processor and memeory are most important to reduce the time it takes to calculate the lighting. A nice graphics card is good for rotating trhe object during set up with all the textures loaded.

dufferson
11-22-2005, 09:14 AM
same graphics card as me :D i would personally switch the ram to corsair with a little better timing. wicked rig though.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-22-2005, 10:26 AM
I'm just suprised you didn't go for a good Wildcat card, like a VP or a 4-series card, if rendering is your main concern. :dunno:

You could also have got a Realizm, but it'd probably be worth more than your system combined.

Lex350
11-22-2005, 10:40 AM
The graphics card really sin;t the most important things because I do still renders not animation. I do really little animation. I prefer to do quicktime 360 views because they are much faster to create and therefor cheaper for a client to purchase.

Ram and processor....that's where I need the resources.

seer_claw
11-22-2005, 10:44 AM
The intel processor will actually be better for rendering as you can enable HT. By the way nice system. :thumbsup:

Lex350
11-22-2005, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by seer_claw
The intel processor will actually be better for rendering as you can enable HT. By the way nice system. :thumbsup:

that was kind of my thinking with th HT...plus I sometimes an modifying imagees in photoshop at the same time I'm rendering so it's nice to de able to dedicate a thread to it.

GQBalla
11-22-2005, 01:39 PM
don underestimate kingston ram!

they can handle all different sets of timings!

my valueram surprised me too when i changed the timings a little and that boosted my overclock up from 2.38 ghz to 2.58!!!

the 2.38 ghz was the default timing on my ram than i the 2.59 ghz is from my timing sett up

hampstor
11-22-2005, 02:03 PM
I don't think the Pentium D 820 supports Hyper Threading... it's a dual core but not HT.

khtm
11-22-2005, 02:09 PM
I wonder if your new setup will help you 'chop people's personal pics better?

You jerk!

(j/k) Looks good man...those twin LCDs are gonna be $$$

Lex350
11-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by khtm
I wonder if your new setup will help you 'chop people's personal pics better?

You jerk!
(j/k) Looks good man...those twin LCDs are gonna be $$$ :)

Hey if you wouldn't supply such good material to chop then I'd have nothing to do

I was told that the processor(s)was indead HT