PDA

View Full Version : 3rd prize from Quinn

sexualbanana
07-03-2002, 02:55 PM
So I got this letter about a month ago, and it said I won 3rd place from their draw at WOW. I get a free Pro 300 alarm system. All I have to do is pay install. From what hear however is that there are often a ton of hidden costs, or at least I have to start paying extra for shit I need. But the back lists everything I get, and it sounds rather impressive.

Here it is (straight from the letter):
- Microprocessor Controlled Receiver Module
- 2 button remote control
- 120db multi-tone siren
- dual guard impact sensor
- limited lifetime parts warranty
- built-in light flash relay
- 2 inline fuses
- audible & visible arm/disarm confirmation (don't they all have this?)
- intrusion event memory
- one emergency shut off button
- valet/service mode (don't they all have this too?)
- panic feature
- 100-150 ft operating range
- door entry protection
- current sensing abillity
- anti car jacking mode
- programmable 30 sec automatic arming
- programmable back up arming
- programmable silent arm/disarm
- remote sensor delete
- remote siren delete
- remote silent arming
- RF lockout feature
- small security window decals (10hp!!)
- second and third channel outputs
- And many more!

It seems they've added quite a bit of filler to make it sound like a lot. What do u think?

rage2
07-03-2002, 02:57 PM
Since you live in the Ghetto, I'd say the decision is a no-brainer! :thumbsup:

kevie88
07-03-2002, 03:01 PM
How much for the install?

D'z Nutz
07-03-2002, 03:38 PM
Stay away! Stay far far awaaaaaaaaaaaay from Quinn!! My sister's friend won one of those too and gave it to her to use. After Quinn was finished with her car, she had to pay an extra $500+ on top of the "free" alarm. For that price, you can go else were and get a more reliable system (and for probably cheaper too). :madred: :madred: :madred: :madred:

Still it'd almost be worth it to go listen to the bullshit they come up with to sell you stuff. Just remember not to buy anything from them.

kevie88
07-03-2002, 03:41 PM
That's what I was thinking.. they offer a 'free' alarm and bend you over for the install. Tell them you just want the alarm.

bol
07-03-2002, 03:43 PM
At one of last years auto show's Quinn gave away free alarms to every one who entered the contest...

D'z Nutz
07-03-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by bol
At one of last years auto show's Quinn gave away free alarms to every one who entered the contest...

I had a feeling they did that... The guy that won that alarm my sister got, that was the second time he "won".

Weapon_R
07-03-2002, 03:48 PM
Actually the install is not that much - $99.00. The problem is, that they list every stupid feature that will never be used to make the list seem impressive, and in the end they have barely begun to install anything decent. The problem is that any real features that are most commonly requested are not included, and they bend u backwards to install those features. Quinn IS capable of installation an incredible system, but it won't be free and it won't be for the $99.00 installation fee.

Btw - everyone "wins" those. I win one every year.

James
07-03-2002, 03:48 PM
Yeah i think everyone i know who entered the draw "won" an alarm.:thumbsup: :rolleyes: :bullshit:

D'z Nutz
07-03-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
That's what I was thinking.. they offer a 'free' alarm and bend you over for the install. Tell them you just want the alarm.

Not only do they bend you over for the free alarm, but they all take turns on you after they're finished charging you for extra stupid shit.

In the end, you're going to need an extra alarm for your ass, cause it's been broken into so many times :D :D Oh well, you can use next year's alarm that you're going to win for that.

celica girl
07-03-2002, 03:54 PM
Yup I won 3rd prize as well... I guess I'm not special??? jk hehehe... the one good thing about Quinn is a friend of mine does installs there... and does a great job if you are lucky enough to have him work on your car....

Davan
07-03-2002, 03:58 PM
I won the same thing last year.

I got it installed for a hundred bucks, and paid around 250 more to get the power locks and trunk hooked up, and a hood pin, and a couple flashing LEDs.

That wound up being pretty pricey for a free alarm.

But I can say that the alarm is still working great, over a year later. And the car hasn't been stolen or broken in to. :)

Redlyne_mr2
07-03-2002, 04:32 PM
way to go , now prepare to get jacked

kevie88
07-03-2002, 04:55 PM
:rofl:

MiNG
07-03-2002, 05:05 PM
my friends win those every year at WOW. and the one stupid friend who actually got one installed ended up paying a lot, cuz the stupid thing didn't work properly...i can't remember how much he ended up paying, but it was a lot.

mwmhong
07-03-2002, 05:57 PM
I got 2nd prize from CIN!:clap:

It's just an old marketing trick, Club All Seasons does that crap too, except the prize is a Jeep. I'm pretty sure every 'cruise/vacation' booth at the car shows do the same thing. You give your info through the so-called 'draw' and they contact you.

Even if the parts are free, they'll make/recover margin on the labour.
I think Quinn keeps a stack of all the entries and contacts 'winners' over a given period of time to smooth out their income during the year. Call them up to confirm?:D

HRD2PLZ
07-03-2002, 08:49 PM
I've won from Quinn every year :clap: a few years ago (I was 16 and dumb) I got the alarm installed in my 4Runner. I had to pay extra for LED's, keyless entry, starter kill, an extra remote and a hood pin. I can understand the keyless entry and starter kill, but the rest is supposed to come with an alarm, isn't it? :dunno:

This past winter I got an Ungo MS-2005 remote start/alarm/keyless entry installed on my car. It came with 2 remotes, the hood pin and an led. And, I ended up paying about the same. :banghead: Free is never as good as it sounds...

Ferio_vti
07-03-2002, 09:03 PM
yah, everyone I know who entered 'won' one those alarms too. I heard if you just go down to Quinn, its just a standard package they carry along with other. It's no more than winning a "free" Happy meal and still having to pay the regular price on the menu.

Its just a scam.

legendboy
07-03-2002, 09:19 PM
just sell me the alarm .

cocoabrova
07-03-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
just sell me the alarm .

They won't give you the alarm unless you pay THEM to do the install..... it's all a bunch 'o' :bullshit: . This is the 3rd time I've been a 3rd place winner... You can have my certificate if you want...:thumbsdow

todaB18c5
07-04-2002, 12:45 AM
"anti car jacking mode"

dont get much better than that...

Pete92SL
07-04-2002, 01:25 AM
My friend got his Jetta done there with the "free" promotion. 2 days later his door handles and locks from the two front doors and lock on the trunk were cut out with a metal cutter. The alarm wire was cut and nothing was stolen except for what was cut out. He also had some evidence about that crime that led back to Quinn...

Pete

Dyinghere
07-04-2002, 01:38 AM
damn thanx for the heads up:P iwon one too, and i was gonna save it til i get my own car... no need now :madred: :madred: :madred:

mwmhong
07-04-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Pete92SL
My friend got his Jetta done there with the "free" promotion. 2 days later his door handles and locks from the two front doors and lock on the trunk were cut out with a metal cutter. The alarm wire was cut and nothing was stolen except for what was cut out. He also had some evidence about that crime that led back to Quinn...
Pete

Man, that is just flagarant:guns:

People say I'm paranoid, but that's the thing with some places, you have to be very careful with your information. You buy some stuff and they ask you for your info, number, address, etc. and store the info somewhere. Then some employee can get into that info and get back at the customer.

Pete92SL
07-04-2002, 10:55 PM
I'm not looking for an argument and nor did I say that they cut the locks out to disable the alarm. The door locks were cut out and stolen and the alarm never even went off. On further inspection a wire was cut on the alarm.

I never directly stated that they did it. I stated that he merely had some kind of proof that led back to Quinn in some way. This has not been proven, nor does it mean that they did it.

This statement was not directed to you or your installers. It mentioned the name of the company that you happen to work for. The fact that you took immediate defense of your installers says that maybe there was something in the past.

Look, anyways this is what I was told. Personally I trust the mouth that this came out of. Take it or leave it.

I'm sure that you and your installers are really great at what you do; however I thought I'd let these people know what I had heard about your company. I've also heard that the installs are good at Quinn, so it is not all bad.

Pete

PS- In short, the statement was about the company that you work for, not you or your department.

Pete92SL
07-04-2002, 11:40 PM
Sounds good. Were cool then?

Maybe I'll see you at race city tomorrow.

Pete

sexualbanana
07-05-2002, 12:50 AM
just the few bad apples that ruin it for everyone

buh_buh
07-05-2002, 11:00 PM
IRL: That's a really good time for a Celica GTS. How few mods do you have?