PDA

View Full Version : So my car met a pole a few days ago......

t-im
11-22-2005, 03:29 AM
Bah, nothing interesting..hit a pole a few days ago and had some questions -

I brought my car to 2 places for estimates and they gave me totally different prices.

One said like $300 or $400 to fix..

and another (Maranello) said about $1000 something..

But I was wondering if anyone could give me some ballparks before I go to any other places..and tell me if it's acutally really $1000+ worth of damage.

I know how good Maranello is, i've gotten stuff fixed up there..but just curious about the huge price differences and if it's necessary.

and..any recomended bodyshops?

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/yaud/forsale/bmw1.jpg
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/yaud/forsale/bmw2.jpg
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/yaud/forsale/bmw3.jpg

AllGoNoShow
11-22-2005, 03:32 AM
Read what the work orders say, maranellos probably replacing the whole panel where as the other place is just going to bend it back/repair it, not replace.

Where was the other place?

Tried National?
Calgary Honda also specializes in BMW's I learned.

big_k
11-22-2005, 03:33 AM
try and get some better brighter pics up aswell...

t-im
11-22-2005, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
Read what the work orders say, maranellos probably replacing the whole panel where as the other place is just going to bend it back/repair it, not replace.

Where was the other place?

Tried National?
Calgary Honda also specializes in BMW's I learned.

I believe they're going to replace the whole thing..which I guess would be most ideal..

but is it per say 'bad' to get it 'bent back' into shape? As in, will you be able to tell it was damaged?

Originally posted by big_k
try and get some better brighter pics up aswell...

Sorry about that...just snapped them in my garage 5 min ago :)

AllGoNoShow
11-22-2005, 03:46 AM
Bad? depends how they do it, if they do all metal pulling and bending then it would work well but if they pull it back to semi nromal shape then bondo, it will just crack eventually.

Replacing the panel is the best idea.

lastprodigy
11-22-2005, 04:00 AM
if you can afford that car then get a new panel too

PrezeS_PL
11-22-2005, 04:07 AM
hehehe nobody fix those parts these days, to cheap to spend $$$ on labor, one may use aftermarket fender from china other factory replacement

headlight for E36 from Asia $100 brand new
from dealer $$$$$$$$
two grill inserts were $20 each - i dont even wanto to know how much from dealer

VW fender from Asia $60 - would you spend a 5 hours to fix the old one ?

difference is the quality and fit, original manufacture parts are way better

and $1000 is way too much

Goblin
11-22-2005, 07:38 AM
:english:

maranello is too expensive imo. Try to get someone from bmw calgary or gallery to see if you can get it in as their car... so you get their rates :thumbsup:

benyl
11-22-2005, 07:58 AM
Try Exotic Cars.

Also, the other place might be replacing the fender with an aftermarket or reconditioned one. Marenellos is probably using OEM.

MrPid
11-22-2005, 08:10 AM
A good rule of thumb is that if the metal is creased then replace it without question.

OEM is the best, but aftermarket parts can be okay - fit and finish is the responsibility of the shop. The bad aftermarket parts get sorted out pretty quickly when they take too much labor to make look decent.

Any shop with a good rep. won't likely be using crap parts.

Good luck

infected
11-22-2005, 08:50 AM
Damage doesn't look too bad, I don't think you need to spend an extra $600 for a new fender when this could be repaired.

dj_honda
11-22-2005, 09:01 AM
maybe try to source out the fender yourself (and see if its cheaper) then take it to a bodyshop to get it sprayed and fitted.:dunno:

Kaos
11-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Maranello would most likely order an OEM fender, paint the fender while its off the car, install it etc...
Thats why its expensive but still great work.

Weapon_R
11-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Nothing is wrong with bending it back and fixing it.

DC2uned
11-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Tell your mom to take it to Maranello's or National Collison.
Somebody scratched and dented my moms X5 and Maranello's did an amazing job.

civicrider
11-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Kaos
Maranello would most likely order an OEM fender, paint the fender while its off the car, install it etc...
Thats why its expensive but still great work.

no theyd paint it on the car and blend it down the whole side of the car.

t-im is it just the passenger fender with damage? what model year of bmw?

guessboi
11-22-2005, 01:30 PM
^ bending it back and fixing it, is the way to go.
cuz if they replace it with OEM part, the screws position of the new piece may not fix perfectly.

civicrider
11-22-2005, 01:56 PM
no its not because bending it back will not make it perfect and they would have to use bondo and thats just crap, OEM parts fit awsome, its if you get the cheap crap it doesnt fit, i worked in a good shop that fixed alot of BMW's and something like that would get replaced

t-im
11-22-2005, 05:29 PM
Hey

thanks for all the posts guys.. :)

But alot of conflicting opinions..

Some say it's okay to just bend it back, bondo etc..but what i'm most worried about is that in a few years it'll crack or look like complete crap..

Not trying to totally cheap out here, but just a big difference in price so wondering if it's even worth it to consider bending it back etc.

Originally posted by civicrider

no theyd paint it on the car and blend it down the whole side of the car.

t-im is it just the passenger fender with damage? what model year of bmw?

It's a 2003, and it's just on the front passenger fender

MrPid
11-26-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by guessboi
^ bending it back and fixing it, is the way to go.
cuz if they replace it with OEM part, the screws position of the new piece may not fix perfectly.

:rolleyes: That's not really how it works dude. The fender position is completely adjustable so they can do little things like...make sure the door opens with the proper clearance, make sure the hood closes properly, etc..

t-im -> Remember you get what you pay for....If you look at it otherwise, there isn't much chance you'll come to regret replacing the fender....the other way - maybe...