PDA

View Full Version : CMA People! I need advice

2.2vtec
11-22-2005, 07:39 PM
After completing my b.mgmt in finance at the u of l, i'm thinking I will need more in order to find a good job. I would like to pursue my CMA but need 6 prereq's. to write the exam. Should i just do an accounting certificate with the u of l that gives me all the prereq's AND a certificate or just do the prereq's? And it's been a while since i took the introductory accounting classes, is re taking them neccessary?

Mckenzie
11-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Just do what you need to pass the entrance exam I would say. Its all about efficiency. Employers would want to see you passed the exam and that you have a finance degree...not an accounting certificate. A girl I work with at Ernst & Young did her Bio Sci degree and just did the necessary pre-reqs through SAIT and she is now a CA going for her CFA! So just do what gets you by I would suggest.

t-im
11-22-2005, 08:11 PM
Can't you challenge it, or whatever? (i'm not too clear on that but I know someone who did that..or was in the process of)

2.2vtec
11-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie
Just do what you need to pass the entrance exam I would say. Its all about efficiency. Employers would want to see you passed the exam and that you have a finance degree...not an accounting certificate. A girl I work with at Ernst & Young did her Bio Sci degree and just did the necessary pre-reqs through SAIT and she is now a CA going for her CFA! So just do what gets you by I would suggest.

Did Ernst&Young pay for her CA?

Shaolin
11-23-2005, 02:51 AM
umm Danny.. from what you said.

Option 1 - you do the U of L certificate then you get the certificate and the pre-reqs for the CMA..

Option 2 - do the pre-reqs for CMA

Option 1 you get the cert with pre-reqs
Option 2 you get the pre-reqs

so what's the problem?

Mckenzie
11-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec

Did Ernst&Young pay for her CA?

Well all of the firms pay for the CASB program so yes....it totals about $8000 per year I think with a $3000 allowance in the summer that you take off to do the compressed modules.

2.2vtec
11-23-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin
umm Danny.. from what you said.

Option 1 - you do the U of L certificate then you get the certificate and the pre-reqs for the CMA..

Option 2 - do the pre-reqs for CMA

Option 1 you get the cert with pre-reqs
Option 2 you get the pre-reqs

so what's the problem?

Well I guess the problem is if it's worth the time and money for a certificate? And what if I find a finance job and just, stop at the prereq's with no certificate, will those accounting courses go unrecogized by companys??

Shaolin
11-23-2005, 08:00 PM
if that's the case I don't think it's worth it to go for a certificate.. all that'll do is give you the pre-reqs.. you already have a degree, and those certifiicates isn't going to do much for you..

those accounting courses will go unrecognized if you decide not to pursue a designation. if you're going to take the pre-reqs, you might as well take the plunge and do the designation.. or else you'd be spending money and get nothing in return (if you find a finance job and stop at the pre-reqs).

You're better off just sitting on your ass looking for a finance job instead of spending money on courses WHILE looking for a finance job if you're not going to do anything with those pre-req courses.

2.2vtec
11-24-2005, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin
if that's the case I don't think it's worth it to go for a certificate.. all that'll do is give you the pre-reqs.. you already have a degree, and those certifiicates isn't going to do much for you..

those accounting courses will go unrecognized if you decide not to pursue a designation. if you're going to take the pre-reqs, you might as well take the plunge and do the designation.. or else you'd be spending money and get nothing in return (if you find a finance job and stop at the pre-reqs).

You're better off just sitting on your ass looking for a finance job instead of spending money on courses WHILE looking for a finance job if you're not going to do anything with those pre-req courses.

I would just like to leave the doors open I guess because I'm kinda at a crossroads now...Man this is confusing..it just seems like JUST a finance is degree isnt much and people with an accounting major get all the jobs!

bigboom
11-24-2005, 11:49 AM
then do the CMA program for people that are non accounting majors. all they require is a bachelor degree of some sort and a couple accounting pre reqs.

2.2vtec
11-24-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by bigboom
then do the CMA program for people that are non accounting majors. all they require is a bachelor degree of some sort and a couple accounting pre reqs.

You need pre-reqs to do a cma, and like I said I need 6 just wondering if I should go ahead and do the other 4 for a certificate.

Mckenzie
11-24-2005, 07:44 PM
Just do the classes...a finance degree is gonna trump an accounting certificate any day. As well, there is so much demand for accounting jobs that they wont care whether or not you have a certificate. Many finance grads from UofC who cant get jobs just do the CASB prereqs for the CA program BTW. :thumbsup:

Shaolin
11-24-2005, 10:08 PM
nobody's going to give a shit about a accounting certificate when you got a Finance degree Danny.. go big or go home. Simple as that man.