PDA

View Full Version : driving sounds!?

kanip
11-23-2005, 01:55 AM
haha hey i just had a quick question for you guys, i'm having some trouble with my beater!!! shes in rough shape it seems. Over the course of driving home today I started hearing a clicking sound... which gradually got louder into something resembling a diesel engine on the highway... and then it got REALLY loud and sounds like someone tied a stick of bamboo to the driveshaft!

Anyway, the sound directly increases in relation to rpm... and you only hear it when you are giving it gas...

it quiets down when you coast in gear or not (although in gear you can still hear something slightly)

so its not an engine sound... I was thinking maybe transfer case? itsa 1989 ford ranger so yeah!!

anyway any input would be great! let me know what you think it might be and maybe I can get a good idea on how to fix it!

Chiggles
11-23-2005, 12:22 PM
You only hear it when you give it gas?? So does that mean you get the noise while the car is in park/neutral as well and you give the pedal a nudge, or do you mean you only get it while the car is in motion?

kanip
11-23-2005, 03:03 PM
it only happens when you're actually moving.
if you're in neutral or stopped and rev up the engine its not there.

its only once you take out the clutch and start moving forward while in gear... you can hear it slightly when you're not accelerating but other than that once you hit the gas to go its noisy as hell?

Chiggles
11-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Where is the noise coming from? Could be lifters, CVs, wheel bearing, maybe a ball joint.... need some place specific.

ninspeed
11-23-2005, 08:11 PM
if its in relation to rpm.. it will not be a transfercase... it will stop at the input shaft and drive gear/tourque converter of your tranny. sounds more like a lifter / bent push rod to me

EG_Civic
11-23-2005, 08:15 PM
most likely your cv joint.. which side do u hear it from?

kanip
11-24-2005, 01:56 AM
its tough to say really.. but in relation to all that... wouldnt a bearing/cv joint/lifter be more constant?

don't the lifters run even with the engine at idle? if you sit the car at a stop and rev the engine you dont hear it.

also.. if you are in motion and throw the vehicle in neutral you wont hear it... so it shouldnt be a bearing or anything? i've had that before in my other vehicle and that would be no matter what when your moving.

it only seems to be really bad when you need more torque... like say you're climbing a hill and the engine needs a bit more gas and power to make it up then its worse.. it seems to more directly involved to how much power you need to accelerate..

the rpm relation is vague... its not something coming from an engine or either side of the thing.. it seems like its in the center kind of in the driveshaft area but i could be wrong its hard to tell... does any of that help at all??