PDA

View Full Version : Small engineering feat in my backyard.

Raz2
11-23-2005, 08:11 AM
http://www3.telus.net/rasmus/ramp-front.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/rasmus/ramp-top.jpg

Do you guys think it'll hold?

Ramp-top is explanatory but ugly
Ramp-front is even more explanatory but prettier (ms paint and aspected 3d skillz!)

I figure as long as each "leg" (of the 12 legs total) can handle a force vector of 400nm at all times I should be good.

I want two big wooden things at the edges to hold alot of the strain and not dig into the ground, the plan is to be able to get under the car, and not destroy the grass in the progress... pretty nifty? this way if I _NEED_ to, I can put a tent-looking thing over it, and put some cardboard down on the ground and have a makeshift garage ;)

- Rasmus

Raz2
11-23-2005, 08:13 AM
oh, minor elaboration... this is a car "stand" i'm building... i'm also building the ramps to get up onto it. It'll be made of 1/4 inch steel and wood, the wood will be the two "skis" on the bottom to the furthest left and right, rest is steel.

- Rasmus

Euro_Trash
11-23-2005, 08:30 AM
nm? thats a measurement of length....
And just looking at the design, I think you are going to need some trusses in the middle of the platform as well, there is going to be a lot of force trying to make those legs buckle

Raz2
11-23-2005, 08:35 AM
no... nm is newton meters, and its a measurement of force.

I am trying to not use any trusses in the middle, the legs aren't drawn to correct thickness.

attached is another sketch (very preliminary and terribly done, looks more like a wobbly park bench) but it gives you an idea of the thickness of the legs.

- Rasmus

sputnik
11-23-2005, 08:47 AM
The center of your platform will break. You have nothing keeping the middle section from buckling at all.

If your main concern is keeping the lawn intact why would you cover it up with a makeshift structure? Kinda defeats the purpose no? Its probably just easier to kill the existing grass and re-sod later.

FiveFreshFish
11-23-2005, 08:49 AM
Newton (N) is a measure of force.

Newton-meter (N•m) is a measure of torque or bending moment.

Nano-meter (nm) is a measure of distance.

:)

Raz2
11-23-2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
The center of your platform will break. You have nothing keeping the middle section from buckling at all.

If your main concern is keeping the lawn intact why would you cover it up with a makeshift structure? Kinda defeats the purpose no? Its probably just easier to kill the existing grass and re-sod later.

why will the middle structure break? Have you ever seen a bridge before?

Oh, and if I kill the existing grass by placing a vehicle on it, not only will I loose the usage of a cool ramp to do exhaust work/driveline work on, but it sort of just.. isn't cool enough.

- Rasmus

Raz2
11-23-2005, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Tnx :) :thumbsup:

TrevorK
11-23-2005, 10:13 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/immortal_tk/cobra_ramp2.jpg

This is made from all wood.

I would suggest making each side independantly strong, then tie the two together.

Raz2
11-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Man, that does NOT look like Edmonton... is it?

Nice work thoe!

- Rasmus

treg50
11-23-2005, 03:24 PM
Just order up one of these Lonestar garages

http://www.lonestarstructures.com/garages.htm

Raz2
11-23-2005, 04:39 PM
treg50, gimme a few grand and I'll get right on that :)

- Rasmus

cycosis
11-23-2005, 05:34 PM

Thank you!

Primer_Drift
11-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Raz, I would make similar to the wooden one, but from steel of course. Having all the weight in the center of your design will most likely cause it to bend. Not to mention with all the supports underneath it will be difficult to work under, or to escape in case of emergency. To hell with the grass man... it grows back. However crushed people are not so resilient :P

Euro_Trash
11-23-2005, 07:39 PM

Exxxxactly

Thaco
11-23-2005, 07:43 PM
if you dont care about the grass and you want to climb under it, you'd probably give your self a lot more room by having supports in the center instead of off the side posts like in your design.

Seanith
11-23-2005, 08:24 PM
It definitely looks like it would collapse in the middle.

D. Dub
11-23-2005, 09:13 PM
I can't see anything good coming from this thread.

:D

chris
11-23-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift
Raz, I would make similar to the wooden one, but from steel of course. Having all the weight in the center of your design will most likely cause it to bend. Not to mention with all the supports underneath it will be difficult to work under, or to escape in case of emergency. To hell with the grass man... it grows back. However crushed people are not so resilient :P

exactly, why not buy 2 of those oil change ramps that they sell at canadiantire for like 30 bucks, sure some of your grass will be crushed but at least it's not your head

D. Dub
11-23-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by chris

exactly, why not buy 2 of those oil change ramps that they sell at canadiantire for like 30 bucks, sure some of your grass will be crushed but at least it's not your head

:thumbsup:

and what's wrong with using jackstands?!?!!?

chris
11-23-2005, 09:33 PM
nothing, just this would be easier, hahahha

D. Dub
11-23-2005, 09:41 PM
no no I meant jackstands or ramps INSTEAD of making some silly home-made thing that you'll die under

Raz2
11-23-2005, 09:50 PM
Not permanent enough, i want to have these ramps in place all the time, park the car on it, etc. plus, i want it further up in the air than the oil-change ramps, remember this is for driveline/exhaust work

Primer_Drift: this feel like a project you'd be willing to help me with? Atleast the design part :)

- Rasmus