PDA

View Full Version : good dishes for christmas potluck

mdeleon
11-23-2005, 09:52 PM
hey i was wondering what would be a good dish to cook/bake for a christmas potluck? something besides cookies or something, something filling but reletivley easy to make since i don't wanna spend hours making it.

if you know any sites with recipes, or if you have any of your own, please share, thanks.

EDIT: by hours i mean i don't wanna spend half the day.

JordanEG6
11-23-2005, 10:20 PM
hey marco,

cook 'adobo dog' :D

szw
11-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Bring 30 egg mcmuffins

dj_rice
11-23-2005, 11:23 PM
If its an asian Christmas potluck then ginger beef!!!

mdeleon
11-24-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
hey marco,

cook 'adobo dog' :D

Originally posted by dj_rice
that's the thing, it's not an asian party...i don't think they'd appreciate the taste for dog as we do :D

and as for ginger beef, it's not just asians that enjoy it...plus i don't know how to make it...i wanna make something instead of just buying something already made.

abyss
11-24-2005, 01:11 PM
Are you looking for a meal item or dessert? Ambrosia is an easy and tasty dessert. As far as Meal items, make some sort of casserole. My favorite is vegetable casserole, fill a corningware dish with mixed veggies, throw a can of mushroom soup and about a cup or cup and a half of grated cheese on top and bake in the oven for an hour, incredibly easy and surprisingly tasty.

mdeleon
11-24-2005, 01:17 PM
thanks abyys, i'll look up into it....what settings should i set the oven at?

RSeXy
11-24-2005, 01:25 PM
I like a dish similar to Abyss' but with broccoli

Use a casserole dish, throw in some broccoli, cut into florets, add cream cheese, a little milk, bread crumbs and liberaly sprinklewith grated cheese.

one of my favorite and simple dishes. :drool:

but if you are lazy like me, for parties i usually get Max_Boost Food Inc. to hook it up...or just buy something from Costco. hehe

abyss
11-24-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by mdeleon
thanks abyys, i'll look up into it....what settings should i set the oven at?

350 F

:thumbsup:

88CRX
11-24-2005, 01:57 PM
bucket of kfc chicken :thumbsup:

skandalz
11-24-2005, 02:12 PM
ok this is an awesome appetizer my gf makes. things you'll need:

chicken breast (depending on how much you wanna make)
green onions
bacon strips
block of light cream cheese
tooth picks

first is the filling: chop up your green onions and mix them in with the cream cheese., use one of those mixing machines, it works best

take a piece of chicken breast and cover it with saranwrap then pound the chicken breast flat with one of those wooden, cooking mallets. you're gonna wanna try to get it as flat as possible but not tear the chicken. remove the saranwrap and put a desired amount of the filling down the middle of the chicken breast. roll it up like a crépe. wrap bacon strips around the chicken breast and use the tooth picks to hold them in place.

then fry it in a non stick pan, i don't think you have to use oil because the natural oils of the bacon fat should do. fry till the bacon is relatively cook (not that juicy fatty stage). then place in a baking sheet and cook in the oven at 250-300 degrees for about 20 mins. once it's cooked, cut them up into bite size pieces. it should take about an hour or so from start to finish.

not the healthiest thing in the world but so tasty

abyss
11-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by RSeXy
I like a dish similar to Abyss' but with broccoli

Use a casserole dish, throw in some broccoli, cut into florets, add cream cheese, a little milk, bread crumbs and liberaly sprinklewith grated cheese.

one of my favorite and simple dishes. :drool:

but if you are lazy like me, for parties i usually get Max_Boost Food Inc. to hook it up...or just buy something from Costco. hehe

That's hilarious, I make that same dish with mashed potatoes instead of broccoli, baked in the oven with cream cheese, bread crumbs and cheese, sooooo good!

sputnik
11-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Hashbrown Casserole

- one bag of McCain hashbrowns (red bag)
- 500 ml sour cream
- one can of Campbells Cream of Mushroom and Onion soup
- 1 tbsp seasoning salt
- big pile of grated marble (or cheddar) cheese

Directions

- Mix sour cream, seasoning salt and soup together in a large mixing bowl.

- Slowly add in the frozen hashbrowns and cheese (if you try it all at ones it wont mix well). At the end the mixure should be an even consistancy and all of the hashbrown pieces should be in contact with the soup/sour cream mixture.

- Add the mixture to a casserole dish and top with more grated cheese.

- Bake in an oven at 350F for about an hour. The top should be getting nice and brown and should be hot throughout.

mdeleon
11-24-2005, 03:07 PM
wow they all sound good, i think imma try and make as many of them as i can since the party isn't till dec. and then pick which one i make best and also which ever tastes best....thanks guys keep em coming haha.

lastprodigy
11-24-2005, 04:51 PM
KD with chopped up hotdogs

skandalz
11-24-2005, 05:14 PM
lastprodigy's banner ^.... with chopped up hot dogs :D

szw
11-24-2005, 06:23 PM
I am still winning.

Davetronz
11-24-2005, 09:25 PM
I really like that vegetable caserole mentioned by Abyss and RSeXy, its delicious... And I am gonna make that hashbrown caserole mentioned by sputnik!

FiveFreshFish
11-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Chicken wings.

GTS Jeff
11-25-2005, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Actually, I'd suggest ginger beef for a white potluck. Most Asians that are true to their culture aren't down with ginger beef because it represents a huge bastardization of what Chinese food is supposed to be. Same goes for sweet and sour, moo goo gai pan and all that other greasy shit you get from Chinese restaurants filled with whiteys.

I guess I like ginger beef every now and then, but that's just cuz I'm also a bastardization to Asian culture. :(

lastprodigy
11-25-2005, 01:52 AM
Does it have to be a main dish?

Davetronz
11-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

but that's just cuz I'm also a bastardization to Asian culture. :(

Just Asian culture?!

GTS Jeff
11-25-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Davetronz

Just Asian culture?! Why do you have to call me out on everything Dave? WHYY!!?

mdeleon
11-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
Does it have to be a main dish?
no it doesn't have to be a main dish, it's a potluck so who knows whos dish everyone will pigg out on

Davetronz
11-25-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Why do you have to call me out on everything Dave? WHYY!!?
Someone has to... Otherwise Beyond would be a dull boy...

Bill Cosby
11-26-2005, 12:52 PM
cut chicken into strips, and fri with diced garlic, when done put a can of tomato paste in the pan and ad 2 cups of water, max around and let sit on stove at 2-3 heat, itll get pretty thick, add salt pepper chilis cayenne, and continue adding water if it becomes too thick, the longer you let the chicken marinate the better, i normally do it for 2-4 hours on low heat, serve on top of pasta noodles of your choose, if you wanna be festive, use farfalle or penne, or rigatoni,.. maybe try to serve it with crackers too depending how small you cut up your chicken.. thats my try.. hopefully you like it!

lastprodigy
11-26-2005, 08:14 PM
scalloped potatoes