PDA

View Full Version : oil Chnage help???

Azn563
11-24-2005, 10:29 PM
somebody wanna help teach me how to cahnge oil yea moved so dont wanna drive all the way across the city to change oil but yea
willing to treat a free beer or soo

yea im noob

thanks

big_k
11-24-2005, 10:31 PM
where do u live?

Azn563
11-24-2005, 10:33 PM
on centre st across from cresnt hieghts..

big_k
11-24-2005, 10:36 PM
hmmmm, kinda far, i would like to help but jobless right now, can't justify that much gas, sorry mang

lastprodigy
11-24-2005, 10:38 PM
Im sure Raz2 will help you out!

What kinda car?:thumbsup:

b_t
11-24-2005, 10:38 PM
dude it is easy.

jack up the car. for the love of God, use stands.

find the oil filter. should pretty obvious on its own, big cylinder, usually white if you get it changed for you.

find the oil pan. if you can't find this, give up right now.

find the oil pan drain bolt. it should be the only bolt on the bottom of the pan.

get a bucket that fits under them and holds a few liters comfortably (as in, it will not fill absolutely to the brim, you don't want it to spill everywhere)

put the bucket in place, remove oil pan drain bolt. let oil drain. make sure your socket fits perfectly well, if you strip this bolt, it really sucks.

replace oil pan drain bolt. make it snug, go 1/2-1 turn.

move bucket to under filter. remove filter. make sure the gasket is still stuck to the filter and not to the filter assy on the car. if not, carefully remove with a flathead screwdriver.

replace filter with your fresh one. remember to use some oil to lubricate the gasket, I usually just dip a finger into the stuff I just removed and use that. the filter should only be SNUG. get it SNUG, then turn it maybe 1/2-1 turn more. If it is TIGHT, you are going to have a devil of a time getting it off.

add your oil, whatever it may be, and however much it may be.

make sure none of your new oil has leaked out onto the ground.

start your car, and make sure none of your new oil is leaking onto the ground. you are looking at the filter, most importantly, since if you didn't listen and check for a gasket left over, you are going to dump your entire pan of oil in only a minute.

At least thats how I do it.

FiveFreshFish
11-24-2005, 11:23 PM
Couple more things you may want to consider.

- Use a new oil drain plug gasket. This piece actually compresses when you tighten it, so it's not good to re-use the old one because it won't compress much more and it could leak.

- An oil filter wrench can help to get the old filter off.

- After starting the car, let it run for maybe 10 seconds and then shut it off. Check the oil dipstick.

- Dispose of the oil in an environmentally appropriate way.

Celica TVS3
11-24-2005, 11:32 PM
What do you drive? You can probably find an online DIY tutorial with pictures if you drive something common.

I also like to fill up my filter with oil before i screw it back in, but I don't know if it does anything but except give me peice of mind.

Sharpie
11-24-2005, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by b_t
dude it is easy.
replace filter with your fresh one. remember to use some oil to lubricate the gasket, I usually just dip a finger into the stuff I just removed and use that. the filter should only be SNUG. get it SNUG, then turn it maybe 1/2-1 turn more. If it is TIGHT, you are going to have a devil of a time getting it off.
Good write up only one thing, you should make sure your oil filter is on TIGHT so it doesn't come loose.

Azn563
11-25-2005, 12:32 AM
alright i'll try it
thanks for everything appreciate it

Zephyr
11-25-2005, 12:51 AM
if u were driving your car around to get oil and filter, make sure you let your car cool down a bit, hot oil isn't fun.

GTS Jeff
11-25-2005, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by b_t
the filter should only be SNUG. get it SNUG, then turn it maybe 1/2-1 turn more. If it is TIGHT, you are going to have a devil of a time getting it off.

This is the single most important piece of advice here, so I'll quote it again.

The last time I did an oil change, I spent like 3 days trying to get the filter off. It wass already in an awkward spot and it was so tight that no amount of hand turning did anything, the oil filter wrench just slipped, and even using a screwdriver just messed up the filter. The only thing that finally worked was using a big ass crowbar to pry at the screwdriver that was punched through the filter. That day sucked.

s3v3n
11-25-2005, 06:59 AM
haha wassup man, i live like 2 minutes from ya so if you seriously need a hand or just need to borrow some jackstands (plz dont squish yourself) shoot me a pm or something

heavyD
11-25-2005, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

This is the single most important piece of advice here, so I'll quote it again.

The last time I did an oil change, I spent like 3 days trying to get the filter off. It wass already in an awkward spot and it was so tight that no amount of hand turning did anything, the oil filter wrench just slipped, and even using a screwdriver just messed up the filter. The only thing that finally worked was using a big ass crowbar to pry at the screwdriver that was punched through the filter. That day sucked.

+1.

My brother started doing his own oil changes on his A4 Quattro and one afternoon he called me telling me that he couldn't get the oil filter off. Took me over an hour to get it out and scrapped the shit out of my knuckles due to minimal room & a big ass filter. German cars.:cry:

Usually 3/4 turn after the gasket comes into contact is all you need. The gasket will swell and cause a tight, leak free seal after a few hours of driving. Just check under your car for the first day or two after changing the oil just to ensure that you have no leaks.

dj_honda
11-25-2005, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by b_t
put the bucket in place, remove oil pan drain bolt. let oil drain. make sure your socket fits perfectly well, if you strip this bolt, it really sucks.

replace oil pan drain bolt. make it snug, go 1/2-1 turn.

I usually take the oil cap off as well to make sure all of the oil gets out and none stays in due to any sort of vacuum or whatever. I don't know if it helps, I just do it.

Raz2
11-25-2005, 09:32 AM
if you try and do the oil change and fail miserably, let me know, i'll come by and do it for you

619 7549

- Rasmus

Zero102
11-25-2005, 10:59 AM
I live very close by.
If you still need a hand, PM me and I'll drop by on the weekend.
Not hard, and easy to teach how :)

b_t
11-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Sharpie

Good write up only one thing, you should make sure your oil filter is on TIGHT so it doesn't come loose.

thats why you turn it 1/2-1 turn past snug ;) like HeavyD said, the filter basically tightens itself, which is why they are always so fuckin hard to take off if the guy who did it before you tightened it as hard as he could.

90Tegra
11-26-2005, 10:52 AM
if u can't remove ur oil filter use a belt. Ya a belt u wear its the oldest trick in the book and the best.

also once u take ur filter off make SURE u see if the filter gasket is still attached to the filter if not remove it from the place where ur filter goes on.

Azn563
11-26-2005, 01:16 PM
thanks for all replies