PDA

View Full Version : 1990-1993 celica info

Lo)2enz0
02-23-2003, 02:28 PM
hey,

i was wondering if any of you know of any sites that have good information on the 1990-1993 celica gt-s. well i am just seeing if its a better choice than a 90 or 91 240sx. well thanks in advance.

laurier

STI-Guy
02-23-2003, 03:02 PM
Search, please.

GTS Jeff
02-23-2003, 05:49 PM
it IS a better choice IF u get turbo awd...

Lo)2enz0
02-23-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by STI-Guy
Search, please.

i did, and came up with some ok information. But I am just asking because you never know what sites other people have.

Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R

ya i was looking into that but i have only seen a few around calgary. Plus I only have $9000 to work with and the turbo4wd probably is running at $12000.

well thanks.

laurier

Toms-Celica
02-23-2003, 08:56 PM
www.newcelica.org
www.celica.net
www.albertacelicas.org

T5_X
02-23-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R

But oh so rare :(

The celicas are nice cars, very high build quality, but there is'nt much aftermarket. Would be a much better year round car. The 240 is so much fun to drive though.

Speed_Dreams
02-23-2003, 09:05 PM
It all depends on your tastes.....they are 2 different classes of cars and can't really be compared to eachother....one with a High reving FWD drive train and the other with a truck engine and RWD if you were planning on doing a SR20 DET engine swap the 240 would be a kick ass car

the celica is a Toyota....toyotas kick ass....very reliable...but there isn't much after market for it. the 240 definatly has better aftermarket support and well you can turn it into a kick ass drift car. it all depends on your taste tho.....high revs and FWD or a truck motor in a RWD car

Redlyne_mr2
02-23-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31

But oh so rare :(

The celicas are nice cars, very high build quality, but there is'nt much aftermarket. Would be a much better year round car. The 240 is so much fun to drive though.
No aftermarket are you kidding me, the 3sgte in the alltrac celicas is one of the most popular and sought after turbo 4cylinders in the world

T5_X
02-23-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

No aftermarket are you kidding me, the 3sgte in the alltrac celicas is one of the most popular and sought after turbo 4cylinders in the world

For the GT and GT-S models? The 3s-gte swap is supposed to cost at least 5 grand US. I guess the most common place to get one would be an sw20, but then why not just stick with the sw20 instead of spending so much effort and money into putting it in a front drive celica. It'd be especially expensive if you were to get a 3rd gen alltrac engine (260 HP) as they are quite rare and were never brought to north america. Oh yah, and you have to start with the gt-s models for the swap. But yah, if you do get a 3s-gte in there, or start with an alltrac there's tons of room for engine mods.
For sticking with the stock engines for either car, I think there's more out there for the KA24DE than for the 5s-fe. I don't know how much the 5s-fe can handle, but I've read that the ka24de will handle 250 HP easliy on stock internals.

hey redlyne, what do you know of 3s-gte swaps into aw11s?

Redlyne_mr2
02-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31

hey redlyne, what do you know of 3s-gte swaps into aw11s?
If were talking the non turbo celicas ie: gt and gts then yes those cars are slow as balls and there isnt much aftermarket. What 3sgte tuners have been doing with the 5sfe is adding the 3sgte head and reinforcing the 2.2l 5sfe block. The larger displacement of the 5sfe allows for more power of course, the only problem is that the celica trannies arent very strong. Ranger_x31 Ive seen the 3sgte in a first gen mr2 before, it required him cuttign out the truck..what you might be better off doing is turboing the 4age in the aw11, a buddy of mine in red deer is doing that. He's already got a 75 shot nitrous express wet kit installed and it hauls already with that turbo he's going to have a lot of fun

Lo)2enz0
02-24-2003, 06:26 PM
ya, I do plan on keeping the stock motor thats in the car that i get and just drive it hard during the summer than next winter drop in something else. Right now I am leaning towards the 240sx mainly because its not that hard to find parts for the car (eg. suspension, exhust parts for the ka24de). I accually rarely see any parts for the 5th gen celica but I am still new to toyota and know very little about than. But with the 240sx i know exactly what I want to do (eg, struts, sway, coil overs, exhaust and a sileighty conversion) well thats just my plans for 2003. well with the celica its basically a back up car, like if I can get it before a 240sx pops up i will go check it out and decide.

laurier

three.eighteen.
02-24-2003, 06:40 PM
the 3sgte drops into celicas relatively easily (well duh), and from what i can remember from my research a 3sgte is far cheaper than a sr20

Toms-Celica
02-24-2003, 08:36 PM
Please visit and sign up at AlbertaCelicas.org, we got a hand full of all-trac owners that know their stuff.

James
02-25-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

If were talking the non turbo celicas ie: gt and gts then yes those cars are slow as balls and there isnt much aftermarket. What 3sgte tuners have been doing with the 5sfe is adding the 3sgte head and reinforcing the 2.2l 5sfe block. The larger displacement of the 5sfe allows for more power of course, the only problem is that the celica trannies arent very strong. Ranger_x31 Ive seen the 3sgte in a first gen mr2 before, it required him cuttign out the truck..what you might be better off doing is turboing the 4age in the aw11, a buddy of mine in red deer is doing that. He's already got a 75 shot nitrous express wet kit installed and it hauls already with that turbo he's going to have a lot of fun

75 Shot on a 4age!!!:eek: Shit Son!....And i was thinkin a 55 shot would be to much! :tongue:

Redlyne_mr2
02-25-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by James

75 Shot on a 4age!!!:eek: Shit Son!....And i was thinkin a 55 shot would be to much! :tongue:
Its depends on wether youre using a wet or dry setup. My buddy is using a wet nitrous express system which is why he hasnt incured any problems, I believe he is actually running rich. Another friend with an aw11 however bought a ZEX kit and used the fuel line to deliver the nitrous and the nitrous line to deliver the fuel. He ran the car like that hard for 2 months and even incured a small oil fire needless to say the engine grenaded itself beyond repair

CLiVE
02-25-2003, 11:55 AM
Very hard to find an AWD turbo model. I've been looking for a good one for years. I did see two red 1988 AWD turbos for sale in the trader a few weeks ago. One in edmonton, and one here.
I also saw a 1990 Celica for $2,950...not sure what was wrong with it...hehe.

I must say, I have a 1988 celica and it is the most reliable car I have ever had. I've had it about 6 years now, and have never had any problems with it. Have only done preventative maintenance on it, brakes, and a timing belt...that is all. Not bad for a 1988 vehicle, with 150,000k on it... I really like driving my celica actually. Very fun car...