PDA

View Full Version : Insurance while driving friend's car

sml
11-25-2005, 02:39 PM
Anyone know whose insurance company is repsonsible if someone was driving his friend's car and got into an accident? The insurance company of the person who was driving or the insurance company of the person who owns the car?

teggypimp95
11-25-2005, 02:48 PM
The person who owns the car. Happined to my sister a few weeks ago. Went on her friends insurance not my sisters.

sml
11-25-2005, 02:54 PM
any way out of that? To get the person who's driving insurance company to cover it?

lastprodigy
11-25-2005, 03:01 PM
The one who the car is insured under ... so the owner (well in most cases)

Zero102
11-25-2005, 03:08 PM
Strange, because in my insurance policy, there is a section written into it stating that I am covered when driving somebody else's car...
Is that simply supplementary, or does that mean that I can drive an otherwise un-insured car and be okay?...

teggypimp95
11-25-2005, 03:13 PM
if you want it to fall under your insurance, i believe you have to let your insurance company know and the other partys insurance company know before you drive it. At least thats what i did when i had to drive my buds truck to bc once. You could talk to each insurance company and see if you can get it switched over. Worth a shot.

sweetchariot
11-25-2005, 03:18 PM
It depends on the type of coverage.

If say I was driving your car, and then I caused an accident, but I dont have collision coverage, my ins co will only pay for the 3rd party damage, so if you have collision, then its better you put it through your company.

Samething applies in a vice-versa situation. If you drove my car and you collision and I dont, better to go through your policy.

Many have clauses for just this. But yes. If you were say driving my car and caused an accident, and can go through your policy. Just contact your company.

grrouch
11-25-2005, 03:23 PM
If your in the car with the person driving your car, and they crash it, it comes out of your policy. I still belive its the same if your nto with them either because your technically letting them drive your car. go ask your insurance company

HRD2PLZ
11-25-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
Strange, because in my insurance policy, there is a section written into it stating that I am covered when driving somebody else's car...
Is that simply supplementary, or does that mean that I can drive an otherwise un-insured car and be okay?...

I am sure my policy has that in it as well. And thats in addition to the blanket coverage that covers me on the other vehicles in the house.