PDA

View Full Version : mobil 1 supersyn vs tri syn

acuraguy
02-23-2003, 06:16 PM
hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has heard of any comparisons between the old formula mobil 1 and the new. i had some in my car and i found that after being in it during the night at -30 the oil hardly flowed at all, whereas the trisyn would usually flow quite well at even -30. i konw both say they will flow up till -45, but the supersyn was like caramel. just wondering what your thoughts are, as this is a primary reason i use synthetic in the winter. and yes, its 5w30 in an integra.

SilverStreak
02-23-2003, 07:58 PM
I noticed that too. I am running the SuperSyn now but had a spare bottle of TriSynthetic. The SuperSyn didn't flow as well as the TriSynthetic. It is just too bad we can't find the old TriSynthetic anywhere.

Glenn 328is
02-24-2003, 12:18 AM
I think SuperSyn is Mobil's new formulation.

SilverStreak
02-24-2003, 01:59 AM
After some reading. http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php

SuperSyn seems to be better than TriSyn. The SuperSyn has better wear agents in term of moly and is more stable, where it wouldn't thin or thicken as much as TriSyn, over the change interval.

acuraguy
02-24-2003, 10:30 PM
hey thanks for the replies, and silver streak that link is great. a bit of a downer that the new formula doesnt flow as well, that was one of the big advantages of going to synthetic. i wonder if the new formula is better for the seals since it has more esters in it. seems like those improve the condition of them.

FiveFreshFish
02-24-2003, 10:36 PM
I couldn't find Mobil 0W30 or 0W40 in Calgary but I found Castrol 0W30 at Wal-Mart of all places!

Glenn 328is
02-25-2003, 11:54 AM
I have 3 L in my closet of the Tri-Synthetic if you want to buy them....:zzz:

The way it flows out of the bottle isn't a valid way of seeing how well the lubricant protects the metalsurface while in service.

Tip of the day: Use Mobil 1 SuperSyn at every oil change. No questions.

I saw a guy the other day at CT buying the $.99 POS dino oil. What is he thinking?:thumbsdow