PDA

View Full Version : 97 e36 318i - performance inquiry

Clanche
11-26-2005, 10:58 PM
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and I just got my hands on a 1997 e36 318i. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with modifying one before without going for a swap.

I did a search and I found that all the threads lead to people saying "just do a swap". I've had bad experiences with swaps and i'd rather not go that route... so please dont tell me to do a swap. The car has only 80,000kms and I really want to see what I can do with the 4 cylinder engine.

Anyways.. i'm looking for suggestions on the basics at first... intakes, cat-backs, ecus, etc.. Also I'd like to lower it maybe 1-2 inches.. for the look mostly and to have a bit less bodyroll... any brand suggestions or anyone with some experience for good first steps with the e36s

thanks! :)

FiveFreshFish
11-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Search here and you'll probably find your answers.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Clanche
11-26-2005, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Search here and you'll probably find your answers.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14

thanks will do!

anyone in this forum with e36 tips?

FiveFreshFish
11-26-2005, 11:12 PM
The BMW community here isn't that big. But there are a few tips here:
http://forums.beyond.ca/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=109

Loose
11-27-2005, 01:05 PM
Don't bother with the engine. Just work on suspension.

arian_ma
11-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Tein or Eibach for suspension I'm guessing everyone is going to say one of those.
But...don't forget, the ride quality will be next to none.

Clanche
11-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Loose
Don't bother with the engine. Just work on suspension.

is there really no hope for the 1.9L? is it because of poor aftermarket support? it seems like a really strong built motor, you would think it could support some forced induction

three.eighteen.
11-28-2005, 01:24 AM
there is the downing atlanta supercharger, there are other superchargers, some that claim more power but none as popular as the DASC...will get you faster than a 325 but slower than an m3

AllGoNoShow
11-28-2005, 01:35 AM
TCD might have a turbo kit out for your are.
ESS might have a supercharger kit out of ryour car too.

DTMpower has alot of E36's there. qmf on here has had a couple of E36's, he is doign V12 5L right now on one of them but he may have other information for you.

Loose
11-28-2005, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Clanche

is there really no hope for the 1.9L? is it because of poor aftermarket support? it seems like a really strong built motor, you would think it could support some forced induction

I guess I just don't see it being worth spending $5-10k on forced induction to make it as fast as a 325is, or spending $2k on intake/header/exhaust/chip to make it a tiny bit faster. I'd totally redo the supsension: coilovers, swaybars, bushings, strut braces, wheels/tires.

I think that'd make the car more fun than doing the motor. Just my opinion though.

SteveMo600
11-28-2005, 03:17 PM
I would really look into getting a 325. It's a much better platform to do anything. I had a 318i a little while ago and looked into putting a bit of money into it, but parts were so tough to find because very few people want to put money into the 1.9.

Either sell the 318 and get a 325 or else upgrade the suspension like many have said as well.

Clanche
12-11-2005, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by SteveMo600
I would really look into getting a 325. It's a much better platform to do anything. I had a 318i a little while ago and looked into putting a bit of money into it, but parts were so tough to find because very few people want to put money into the 1.9.

Either sell the 318 and get a 325 or else upgrade the suspension like many have said as well.

I've been reading bimmerforums.com and 318ti.org for 2 weeks now.. been soaking up everything there is to ready about the 318..

I understand people saying just do the swap but there are 2 reasons why i dont want to: first the car/engine only have 80,000kms on it.. second the e36 M42/M44 have little over 400lbs less than its 6 cylinder brothers.. everyone seems to agree that the 4 cylinder feels alot more nymble and is alot better cornering car because of the weight difference..

that being said.. i've started to pick out parts based on reviews and what would seem to work best for me... after all this is done i will probably go for the DASC.. maybe you guys can give me your feedback and let me know what you think

first will be suspension

Shocks - Bilstein Sports
Springs - H&R Sport Springs (1.5"F / 1.0"B)
Front and Rear Strut Brace (not sure what brand yet)
Front and Rear Sway Bars (not sure either, any recommendations?)

then drivetrain
short shifter (not sure what brand to get)
Cluth and Lighten Flywheel - M3 Cluth + UUC 8.5lbs flywheel
(^ this should make a big difference compared to the stock dual mass flywheel)

quick performance mods until supercharger
Cold air intake - Cosmos Racing (3.5")
Cat-Back (might wait on that since stock is already 2.25")
ECU Chip - Dinan (i think they are the only ones that make one for M44 engine, not sure if i should bother if i get the DASC since i will probably need another)

maybe I can get some feedback from the Tunerworks guys.. especially since i'm planning on buying and installing some of this stuff there :D

Loose
12-11-2005, 12:40 PM
Looks good to me. All of that stuff will make the car way more fun. I would to a bunch of the bushings and strut mounts when you do the suspension. I personally wouldn't bother with the intake and chip, unless it was used, if you are going for the charger later down the road.

AllGoNoShow
12-11-2005, 12:53 PM
That sounds like a good basde. You could also be considering a legendboy turbo kit locally, done in a weekend, awsome kits, you will love the power *check out other turbo e36s*

I agree with the chip and intake thing, if it isn't used and u plan on supercharger within a couple of months, don't do it. You could resell them later as well if you decided to buy new but you would be better off saving that money for the supercharger.

Keep us updated!

m10-power
12-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Don't waste your time on that engine, the weight difference is certainly not 400lbs, the only real difference is the engine and the rear end, trailing arms and halfshafts, perhaps if you consider they are usually less equiped, perhaps without a sunroof. A 318is is lighter yet, closer to 250lbs less, your sedan is probably only 150lbs less then an equally equiped 325i.

For the suspension just go see Rob at Tunerworks.

For similar money you could install an M3 drivetrain, and have much better power, reliably. Plus resale value, and a huge choice of performance options down the road.

Tuner1
12-11-2005, 02:20 PM

maybe I can get some feedback from the Tunerworks guys.. especially since i'm planning on buying and installing some of this stuff there :D

You sure can :D The plan you laid out looks solid and the components will work well together. There are a few bushings and other little tricks that you should do at the same time to complete the set up. We should also talk about brakes!

Shoot me an e-mail anytime if you want to get more details :)

Rob

Clanche
12-11-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by m10-power
Don't waste your time on that engine, the weight difference is certainly not 400lbs, the only real difference is the engine and the rear end, trailing arms and halfshafts, perhaps if you consider they are usually less equiped, perhaps without a sunroof. A 318is is lighter yet, closer to 250lbs less, your sedan is probably only 150lbs less then an equally equiped 325i.

actually the e36 sedan and coupe are the same weight (the sedan if actually 20lbs lighter).. this is because of the big B pillar in the sedan.. the coupes have added weight to stiffen up the frame

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343201

so i'm pretty sure the 400lbs is still accurate

Originally posted by m10-power
For similar money you could install an M3 drivetrain, and have much better power, reliably. Plus resale value, and a huge choice of performance options down the road.

when you say drivetrain you mean like an S50 engine with an M3 tranny?

my main problem is down-time since this is my daily driver.. also what am I looking at in terms of cost + labber?

FiveFreshFish
12-11-2005, 03:52 PM

+ M3 diff.

m10-power
12-11-2005, 06:14 PM

actually the e36 sedan and coupe are the same weight (the sedan if actually 20lbs lighter).. this is because of the big B pillar in the sedan.. the coupes have added weight to stiffen up the frame

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343201

so i'm pretty sure the 400lbs is still accurate

my main problem is down-time since this is my daily driver.. also what am I looking at in terms of cost + labber?

I'm pretty sure it isn't accurate(400lb weight difference). An early 318is (M42) is the lightest by about what I qouted, but it depends on how the cars are equiped. The weights I quoted were from the internet as well, supposed published weights for the different cars...:dunno: The internet never lies...:rofl:

If your comparing a fully loaded late model M3 to an early 318i base model then perhaps that weight would be close, but it's not because it's a 4 cylinder alone. I am talking in actual swapped components weight, based on actually seeing them and removing them. I have an M42 and an M50 in my garage and have done the 4 cylinder to M3 rear end swap out(several times). ;)

I can tell you the LS1 V8 is on par weight wise with the M42 as well as physical location in the car :D

dresden_k
12-11-2005, 07:02 PM
I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this already, sorry if they have, but Dinan makes BMW parts. You could check them.

sgouki
01-09-2006, 02:27 AM
uuc evo 3 short shifter
x-brace
SS brake lines
just a few suggestions
Euro ellipsoids are attractive too and very functional

DASC is definetly the way to go. From what i read you get your 215 bhp and still maintain the exact fuel economy under normal driving because of the superchargers by pass system.

I'm going to get one myself but for now I have a tonne of parts to install.