PDA

View Full Version : Dogs travelling in air cabin

szw
11-27-2005, 10:30 PM
I have to bring two small dogs from Calgary to Toronto. They are not allowed in the cargo, only in the cabin under the seat (in a carrier).

Anyone done this? Experiences? Did you sedate your dog?

My dogs are usually kinda loud, and I'm not sure if they will get used to the plane and settle down or not. I don't want to make it a nightmare flight for everyone else on the plane.

A quick google search says it is not recommended because the carrier could bounce around roughly and they may not balance themselves properly, however my dogs will be in the cabin not the cargo hold.

Gonna talk to a vet but still would like some input.

codo
11-27-2005, 10:37 PM
half a gravel depends the size of the dog

Lanks
12-02-2005, 12:43 PM
why not send them in the baggage hold? most people do...

FatboyTheHungry
12-02-2005, 01:15 PM
I have seen people take their well behaved dogs in little carriers under the seat. A sedative from the vet might help if your dogs are energetic...

nambis
12-02-2005, 01:40 PM
i took my cat once to Montreal and back, she was fine cause she was so scared.

D. Dub
12-02-2005, 01:58 PM
for the sake of the other people on the plane...PLS get a sedative from your vet!!!!

rockym20
12-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Don't get a sedative. Make your dog as crazy as you can so that those passengers how have kids who drive you nuts on the flight (they always seem to be seated directly behind me...) will get a bit of their own medicine back!

A whiny or excited dog I can handle, as they don't know any better. Its those little sh1thead kids and their lazy-assed parents that really piss me off.

szw
12-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Lanks
why not send them in the baggage hold? most people do...

Its not allowed during a certain timeperiod (dec xx to jan xx).

nambis
12-03-2005, 01:05 PM
most vets advise against sedatives, because the animal is usually dehydrated and otherwise stressed during travel anyhow.... sedatives just make everything worse

DannyO
12-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Feed them some coffee beans, that'll help :D

Melinda
12-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Augh yappy dogs on a plane...worse than screaming kids in terms of annoyance. That and people are bloody insensitive to bring their animals in contact with other people who aren't willing to be in contact with them, such as people who are allergic to animals. My mom is brutally allergic to dogs and cats (my bro is too but not nearly as bad) and if someone were to bring one of them on there and end up seated anywhere within 10 or so rows of her, she'll get sick and feel like ass for a few days, how the crap is that even fair? And I'm 100% positive my mom isn't the only one, dogs and cats are top allergies for people out there. I'm sure someone around you on that plane will be allergic to your dog and how the hell is that even fair? They paid just as much money to be on that plane as you did and you're going to make them feel gross when they're off to enjoy a nice christmas with friends and family. Totally unfair.

Davetronz
12-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Ok, If I were you I would look into a product called "Bach Rescue Remedy"... It is made by a company called "Bach Flower Remedies"... You can buy it at many herbal and health stores in Calgary. The one I buy from is across from Heritage Station (next to the Mac's in Chinook area)...

The stuff is a bunch of flowers in a brandy type base. You take a few drops of it on the tongue or in water and it calms you right down but does not drug, sedate, or do anything harmful to your body. It is safe for animals as well. I use it on my cat for vets trips and I use it myself for anxiety and panic.

szw
12-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Davetronz
Ok, If I were you I would look into a product called "Bach Rescue Remedy"... It is made by a company called "Bach Flower Remedies"... You can buy it at many herbal and health stores in Calgary. The one I buy from is across from Heritage Station (next to the Mac's in Chinook area)...

The stuff is a bunch of flowers in a brandy type base. You take a few drops of it on the tongue or in water and it calms you right down but does not drug, sedate, or do anything harmful to your body. It is safe for animals as well. I use it on my cat for vets trips and I use it myself for anxiety and panic.

Sweet thanks I'll look into this! I didn't really want to give my dogs valium.

szw
12-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
They paid just as much money to be on that plane as you did and you're going to make them feel gross when they're off to enjoy a nice christmas with friends and family. Totally unfair.

Actually I am paying 200 more but thanks, I definately know what you are saying. I mean I hate sitting next to ethnic people, ugh, but I have no choice.

Melinda
12-05-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by szw

Actually I am paying 200 more but thanks, I definately know what you are saying. I mean I hate sitting next to ethnic people, ugh, but I have no choice.
Hmm yeah okay, nice attack on people in general but whatever. Since when did an ethnic person make you sick just by being near them? Bloody great argument though, hands down. Way to completely ignore what I was actually saying. :thumbsup:

69cougar
12-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Augh yappy dogs on a plane...worse than screaming kids in terms of annoyance. That and people are bloody insensitive to bring their animals in contact with other people who aren't willing to be in contact with them, such as people who are allergic to animals. My mom is brutally allergic to dogs and cats (my bro is too but not nearly as bad) and if someone were to bring one of them on there and end up seated anywhere within 10 or so rows of her, she'll get sick and feel like ass for a few days, how the crap is that even fair? And I'm 100% positive my mom isn't the only one, dogs and cats are top allergies for people out there. I'm sure someone around you on that plane will be allergic to your dog and how the hell is that even fair? They paid just as much money to be on that plane as you did and you're going to make them feel gross when they're off to enjoy a nice christmas with friends and family. Totally unfair.

Lifes not fair. Same can be said for kids, people with mental illness etc etc etc. And if the airline says it's ok who are we to argue??

Khyron
12-15-2005, 06:29 PM
If you're going to do it, then at least have some fun. Halfway through the flight, when everyone is half sleeping, open the cage, spread shaving cream all around their muzzles, shout out "RELEASE THE HOUNDS!" and toss a steak to the end of the aisle. Please tape.

Khyron

Mo Squared
12-15-2005, 07:06 PM

WOW good one man. You are definetly one of those people who everyone loves around christmas time. But I guess it is just personal preference right, you dont like sitting next to ethnic people. Why because we stink? Because we are loud? Well just to let you know, we hate sitting next to white trash assholes who like to bring their dogs along with them on a plane so they can join the very exclusive "mile high with an animal club." So please just keep the racial comments off beyond.

And as for your ORIGINAL problem, I would try to herbal product that DavTronz was using, and if that doesn't work my friend used some gravol and it worked fine his dog was pretty big and usually really loud.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

szw
12-15-2005, 09:33 PM
Would this be a bad time to say "nigga, please!" ?

jdmakkord
12-16-2005, 09:31 AM
For all of you losers bashing szw, nigga's got more color to his skin than you!!!!!!:rofl:

5.9 R/T
12-27-2005, 04:14 AM

That’s the real problem. You think because your mom paid 50 bucks for ONE SEAT she now can dictate what happens in every seat within 10 rows? You realize fat people have to pay for their extra seat(s) right? Just because she is genetically inferior doesn't mean we should all have to bend over backwards so she doesn't get the sniffles. People who bring their pets on flights are not forcing them on people like your mom, they are simply trying to get their loved one to their destination as safe and as comfortable as possible, no different then your mom. Do you or your mom wear perfume? Because if you do there is a small percentage of people out there who have nasty reactions to them. I realize that you are just trying to protect your mom but it's ludicrous to think that you can dictate what one minority does in order to protect another minority. There are so many ways of solving the issue of your mom's ailments that don't require a ban on in-cabin pet travel that she could book flights every week and never have a problem. It's funny that you completely missed szw's point on minority's because your comments are just as 'racist' as his, but hey, it's ok to discriminate against caring pet owners as it doesn't seem as bad as discriminating against a race, right? :thumbsup:

69cougar
12-27-2005, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

That’s the real problem. You think because your mom paid 50 bucks for ONE SEAT she now can dictate what happens in every seat within 10 rows? You realize fat people have to pay for their extra seat(s) right? Just because she is genetically inferior doesn't mean we should all have to bend over backwards so she doesn't get the sniffles. People who bring their pets on flights are not forcing them on people like your mom, they are simply trying to get their loved one to their destination as safe and as comfortable as possible, no different then your mom. Do you or your mom wear perfume? Because if you do there is a small percentage of people out there who have nasty reactions to them. I realize that you are just trying to protect your mom but it's ludicrous to think that you can dictate what one minority does in order to protect another minority. There are so many ways of solving the issue of your mom's ailments that don't require a ban on in-cabin pet travel that she could book flights every week and never have a problem. It's funny that you completely missed szw's point on minority's because your comments are just as 'racist' as his, but hey, it's ok to discriminate against caring pet owners as it doesn't seem as bad as discriminating against a race, right? :thumbsup:

well said :clap: :clap:

Khyron
12-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

That’s the real problem. You think because your mom paid 50 bucks for ONE SEAT she now can dictate what happens in every seat within 10 rows? You realize fat people have to pay for their extra seat(s) right? ...<snip>

So you're not going to start bitching if I light up a smoke on a plane? Seems to me they banned smoking on planes and busses because of exactly what you seem to be harping against.

Allergies don't have anything to do with being geneticially inferior, it's caused an aggressive immune system. Some people can take drugs to prevent attacks but others can't. You joke about the perfume, but that's already law in many workplaces.

And if you think saying that you don't like sitting next to black people because they smell like cotton is the same as saying you don't like sitting next to a smelly dog, then you're the biggest racist of all, and you don't even know it.

Khyron

5.9 R/T
12-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

So you're not going to start bitching if I light up a smoke on a plane? Seems to me they banned smoking on planes and busses because of exactly what you seem to be harping against.

Allergies don't have anything to do with being geneticially inferior, it's caused an aggressive immune system. Some people can take drugs to prevent attacks but others can't. You joke about the perfume, but that's already law in many workplaces.

And if you think saying that you don't like sitting next to black people because they smell like cotton is the same as saying you don't like sitting next to a smelly dog, then you're the biggest racist of all, and you don't even know it.

Khyron

I don't really care what you do on a plane, as long as you obay the law (no smoking) then there is no issue. There is no law against pets not being allowed in cabin.

An aggressive immune system is that way because of what? Genetics. I'm not joking about the perfume thing, it was a serious comment and is very relivent to this discussion because of the similar effects it has and controversy that surrounds it.

I think you need to reread my post. My comments were based on this statement.
That and people are bloody insensitive to bring their animals in contact with other people who aren't willing to be in contact with them That is an attack on the pet owner(s) and not the pet itself. Discrimination is discrimination, no matter if it's against a race or a group of people who are involved in a similar activity. I'm not to sure what a 'smelly dog' has to do with allergies or their connection to african americans and cotton but I'm sure you meant that in the nicest way possible.

JAYMEZ
12-28-2005, 01:36 AM
If this starts turning into an Ethnic bashing , im going to close the thread. Can you guys please try and keep this to the topic that was first posted.

Has anyone actually had a dog in the cabin with them?

szw
12-28-2005, 01:43 AM
I got some pills from the vet. I am going to test them on myself. I will write a trip report! maybe...

Rollin'
01-09-2006, 02:04 PM
i flew with westjet over the holidays, put him in the hold and it only cost $40. He is about 50lbs and I gave him half a gravol. He was very scared but he made it.