PDA

View Full Version : Cf Hoods

SI-vic
02-24-2003, 01:10 AM
This may sound like a weird question but.....
I was thinking about buying a CF hood but I've heard that if you get into an accident from the front, the hood can cut through the car, window, and slice off your head.
is this true at all???
Any other disadvantages to CF hoods?

Thanks.

James
02-24-2003, 01:14 AM
hey you only live once, get the Carbon Fiber Hood! :D......ive heard that they can be dangerous if there not properly/securely installed, but im sure the chance of the hood chopping off your head would be pretty damn rare! :dunno:..who knows.

boi-alien
02-24-2003, 01:20 AM
hood pins!!!

with that said, i've read about some hoods that aren't fully CF so they crumble under impact instead of remaining rigid. can anyone confirm this?

kenny
02-24-2003, 01:25 AM
I've seen some front end collisions on cars with CF hoods and the hood stays pretty intact but doesn't slice thru the car but rather just slides up the windshield. It would be pretty scary to see though in an accident. I'm not sure about the chances of it actually slicing thru the windshield, seems far fetched to me but who knows!

eur0
02-24-2003, 01:45 AM
the width of the hood is wide enough so it slides up the a pillars or sometimes it can "crumble" on impact, if this didnt happen there probably would have been a lot of heads rolling around by now.

three.eighteen.
02-24-2003, 01:56 AM
yeh...if it was that much of a safety concern cops would be pulling guys with CF hoods over along with the clear corners and LEDs

Phats
02-24-2003, 02:35 AM
I have heard some complaints of people whose cf hood has warped in winter, not sure if it is just shoddy hood or if it is for all cf hoods, you might want to check into that

SI-vic
02-24-2003, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Phats
I have heard some complaints of people whose cf hood has warped in winter, not sure if it is just shoddy hood or if it is for all cf hoods, you might want to check into that

Thanks for the info so far guys.
Hmmm warping in the winter? I heard it warps in the summer....
anyone want to comment

Illusionsir
02-24-2003, 05:53 AM
im not bashing anyone here, but does anyone think CF is getting a little over played?? i see them more now then i do stock hoods at dealerships...

2000impreza
02-24-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Illusionsir
im not bashing anyone here, but does anyone think CF is getting a little over played?? i see them more now then i do stock hoods at dealerships...

yeah i agree. i seen a stock focus with a carbon hood the other day...

Originally posted by SI-vic

Thanks for the info so far guys.
Hmmm warping in the winter? I heard it warps in the summer....
anyone want to comment

yes it will warp in the winter. nothing you can do about it.

importadrenelin
02-25-2003, 01:48 AM
Personal experience.
1) hood did not warp at all through winter
2)Get a good carbon fiber hood made by a good company you won't have to worry about all the stuff you are currently concerned about.
Email me at [email protected] I can get you setup.

DUBBED
02-25-2003, 06:55 PM
id be more worried about you fiberglass bumper than a cf hood... this guy rolled over a couple times on this one!!
http://www.fiberimages.com/images/survivor1lrg.jpe

Seanith
02-25-2003, 07:35 PM
haha looks like the hood is still intact! ;)
I would probably just take off the cf hood in the winter if i had one..

Tuner1
02-25-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Illusionsir

I suppose it depends on WHY you want a CF hood. I would install one on my car to save weight, and that never gets played out. Even if you buy one to change the look of your car you will still be a part of the minority. There are what, maybe 2000 '94> Integras in Calgary, and 'maybe' 25 of them have CF hoods?!?!?! That is just over 1% :nut:

We have many, many of customers all over Canada who run Fiber Images hoods all year long with zero issues. Sure, you might see a tiny bit of contaction or expansion with temp changes, but nothing to worry about.

Rob

Illusionsir
02-25-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by E36S50B32

I suppose it depends on WHY you want a CF hood. I would install one on my car to save weight, and that never gets played out.
Rob

i would be willing to bet my hood weighs less than a civic CF hood... and mines all fiberglass... you can hold my hood with your index finger no problem...

04blackMAX
02-25-2003, 10:37 PM
carbon fiber is gheyyyy, on a 127hp civic...whats the point again

Illusionsir
02-25-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by vsmSIR

THANK YOU JORDAN!!

04blackMAX
02-25-2003, 10:47 PM
i honestly dont see the point to any carbon fiber, unless your going for weight reduction..And to go for weight reduction on a car with as much torque as my grandmas golf cart is crazy. I have a civic, couldnt pay me to have a CF hood. or any carbon fiber for that matter

Tuner1
02-25-2003, 11:04 PM

I don't want to start a huge debate, but maybe you guys are missing the point! Only 127hp you say...well 127hp in a motorbike is one fast mo-fo! If you can shave weight off your 127hp Civic and get it down to ~2000lbs it will be a quick ride. It is simple math....power to weight :D Doesn't matter if it is a Civic, NSX, F40 or Gremlin! Obviously a CF hood won't get your Civic to ~2000lbs but it all helps.

Rob

Paul
02-25-2003, 11:21 PM
what the GAK are you talking about? shaving a few pounds on a hood will NOT make a 2000 lbs civic any faster!!!! if that's what your looking for try removing your rear seat, it's a hell of alot lighter and a hell of alot cheaper! And yes I do own a CF hood and have not noticed any significant changes in the time slips. CF hood's main purpose is for lightening the load of extremely tuned race cars, and for looks for the rest of us!

04blackMAX
02-25-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by E36S50B32

I don't want to start a huge debate, but maybe you guys are missing the point! Only 127hp you say...well 127hp in a motorbike is one fast mo-fo! If you can shave weight off your 127hp Civic and get it down to ~2000lbs it will be a quick ride. It is simple math....power to weight :D Doesn't matter if it is a Civic, NSX, F40 or Gremlin! Obviously a CF hood won't get your Civic to ~2000lbs but it all helps.

Rob

and the people who put a CF hoof on there civic, acura, and then put on 18 inch wheels, and a stereo????.....carbon fiber is the in thing, it serves no purpose but style on the average street tuner.

Tuner1
02-25-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Paul
what the GAK are you talking about? shaving a few pounds on a hood will NOT make a 2000 lbs civic any faster!!!!

Correct, please see my post above which states the same.

Shaving weight from a 127hp ('96>) Civic to get it down to ~2000lbs will make it significantly faster than stock. End of story.

I certainly hope that nobody out there thinks that by trading a stock ~25lb hood for a ~10lb CF hood their car will turn into an F40 killer :rolleyes:

Rob

Tuner1
02-25-2003, 11:34 PM

and the people who put a CF hoof on there civic, acura, and then put on 18 inch wheels, and a stereo????.....carbon fiber is the in thing, it serves no purpose but style on the average street tuner.

Well, only God or someone else can help people who don't understand the basics of building a fast car. I can't comment on the "average street tuner", but as I originally posted, I would install a CF hood for a purpose that is meaningful to me...weight saving.

Regards,

Rob

Paul
02-25-2003, 11:45 PM
Here's my advice....if your looking for a way to lighten your car by only 7lbs. try taking your spare tire out of your car and chuck it into the Bow River. Eazy and cheap. If you want to give your car a more race look then a CF hood is a good option. If your looking to increase that 127hp engine, you have better places to spend $700.

syeve
02-26-2003, 12:53 AM
I think a carbon fiber hood looks really good on some cars...ie type-r...I saw one on a white RSX and now I want one. I would have more respect for someone buying a CF hood than someone deciding to spend 1500 on a body kit that does dick all...just my opinion though.

04blackMAX
02-26-2003, 02:02 AM
why whats a CF hood do that a body kit doenst do..least a body kit changes the styling of a car, a CF hood from far looks like you havnt painted your hood!!

2000impreza
02-26-2003, 07:57 AM
carbon hood is for the look more then anything. you will shave 10-15lbs at most... which is about as useful as installing a K&N drop in airfilter. i'll admit it... i bought a carbon hood cause i'm a ricer :rofl: .

Paul
02-26-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
carbon hood is for the look more then anything. you will shave 10-15lbs at most... which is about as useful as installing a K&N drop in airfilter. i'll admit it... i bought a carbon cause i'm a ricer :rofl: .

dido

Tuner1
02-26-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
carbon hood is for the look more then anything. you will shave 10-15lbs at most... which is about as useful as installing a K&N drop in airfilter. i'll admit it... i bought a carbon hood cause i'm a ricer :rofl: .

Once again missing the point. Short of removing your engine, there is nothing you can do to your car to remove 300+lbs! If you want to build a light car you will need to remove 10lbs in thirty (30) places. Simple. A CF hood is a good place to start if a light car is your goal. Removing your back seat reduces the useability of your car, a CF hood does not.

Have a great day,
Rob

dkdelrey
07-13-2005, 05:03 PM
hmm... GUYS???? whats a CF HOOD? or whatchamacallit??? CARBONFIBERHOOD???? whatthehellisthat?!?!?!???!?!?!?!?

LOL ! ! ! ! im puttin one in my CAR... so??????? it'll add up 200 HP on my caR!!! wanna RACE?!?!??!!?!??!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

illeagle
07-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by dkdelrey
hmm... GUYS???? whats a CF HOOD? or whatchamacallit??? CARBONFIBERHOOD???? whatthehellisthat?!?!?!???!?!?!?!?

LOL ! ! ! ! im puttin one in my CAR... so??????? it'll add up 200 HP on my caR!!! wanna RACE?!?!??!!?!??!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

how about you post whore stupid shit in a thread that isen't 2 years old????:dunno: