PDA

View Full Version : Going To Austrailia

canderson
11-29-2005, 01:22 AM
OK I NEED SOME HELP BAD HERE. IVE BEEN LOOKING AT FLIGHTS FOR THIS SUNDAY TO SYDNEY AND THEY ARE ALL ABOUT $1700 IS THAT REASONABLE?? HAS ANYONE EVER BEEN THERE BEFORE? WHATS A GOOD TRAVEL AGENCY? ALSO WHAT KIND OF WORK VISA AND STUFF DO I NEED I REALLY HAVE NO IDEA. ANYTHING WILL HELP THANKS ALOT!!!!!!!!

turbo'dGSR
11-29-2005, 01:37 AM
CAPS LOCK.

$1700 is normal for a flight to Australia, hopefully you get a return with that.
As for a visa, I think youve left it too late. But, with a working visa you can stay for a year, with the other visa forget what its called you can stay for 3 months. While down there you can always apply for a working visa though.
Have fun, Aussie rocks!

B20EF
11-29-2005, 02:03 AM
^^^Hahaha, yah you would need a few weeks minimum to get a a work visa, but a tourist visa should be a little quicker, I don't know about Sunday though. If you don't care the exact day you go, just go the airport and try to get an open seat on any flight to Aus. It'll be way cheaper cause they often sell them at cost just to fill the seat. Have fun.

tsi_neal
11-29-2005, 07:51 AM
when i went i think i paid 1800 with an open ended return that should give you an idea...
As for visa's you automatically get the 3 month tourist visa when you step off the plane, so if youre just visiting then you got nothing to worry about.

djayz
11-29-2005, 08:27 AM
yah thats about the right price when you try to book an overseas flight a few days in advance

go get yourself on standby on a bunch of flights and youll find yourself saving atleast 2-300 dollars
and tsi_neal is right about the 3 month tourist visa...after you get there apply for a working visa and hopefully you can get 15 months 3 months tourist then 12 months work

canderson
11-29-2005, 10:47 AM
thanks guys!!! ya thats awesome im only planning on going for 2 months anyway because one of my buddies is down there and im gonna go visit. BEAAAAAUTY im pumped thanks again boyss

civicrider
11-29-2005, 01:37 PM
yeah i payed $1600, for 2 months i wouldnt get a work visa

Vagabond142
11-29-2005, 02:45 PM
Two MAJOR things to remember to do in Australia:

-Before putting your shoes on, anywhere, whack em against a rock, a brick wall, something solid, then shake them with the opening down. You seriously do NOT want to be bitten by a spider in Australia. Check your shoes like that every time you go to put them on (it's like 5 seconds extra time to your day) and you'll be fine.

-Go to Perth :P Perth is where my dad lived for ages, and I can see why. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL place.

benyl
11-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by tsi_neal
As for visa's you automatically get the 3 month tourist visa when you step off the plane, so if youre just visiting then you got nothing to worry about.

No.

All travellers, except New Zealand citizens, must obtain a visa or travel authority before travelling to Australia.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/visiting_info.htm

You have to buy your visa first before you go. You can get it on the internet here:

http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/

Vagabond142
11-29-2005, 03:27 PM
:hijack: Guess it's good I have my NZ citizenship. Gooooo DUAL CITIZENSHIP WOOT WOOT!

:hijack: We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread

tsi_neal
11-29-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by benyl

No.

All travellers, except New Zealand citizens, must obtain a visa or travel authority before travelling to Australia.

You have to buy your visa first before you go. You can get it on the internet here:

http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/

And when was the last time you were in australia?

Assuming that canderson is a canadian he will get his passport stamed when he goes through customs and that is the three month tourist visa at no charge.

EDIT: At least that was the case 2 years ago

unfocus
11-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Man wish i could go back went ther eduring lets say umm jend of december to mid of january it was the best ... wowser. .wish i coudl stay long but too expensive.. neways you will love it...

i mgiht be going back next christmas...

im not sure about visa and what not but if i do decide to go back next year lets say i ahve to apply for anotehr one right.. just making sure

benyl
11-29-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by tsi_neal

And when was the last time you were in australia?

Assuming that canderson is a canadian he will get his passport stamed when he goes through customs and that is the three month tourist visa at no charge.

EDIT: At least that was the case 2 years ago

I was there 3 years ago. My brother left 2 weeks ago and needed one. I also have a friend who is a Canadian, who goes twice a year. You need to get a visa. No if, ands or buts. Call a travel agent if you don't believe me.

You probably didn't do this yourself. Your travel agent likely made the arrangment and went to that site for you.

mac_82
11-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by benyl

I was there 3 years ago. My brother left 2 weeks ago and needed one. I also have a friend who is a Canadian, who goes twice a year. You need to get a visa. No if, ands or buts. Call a travel agent if you don't believe me.

You probably didn't do this yourself. Your travel agent likely made the arrangment and went to that site for you.

Exactly right. I went a year ago and had to apply for the visa through the travel agent, very easy to do and took only a week I believe.

benyl
11-29-2005, 10:11 PM
You may not be given a label when your visa is granted. This is nothing to worry about, as immigration and customs officers can check your visa details electronically against your passport number.

codo
11-30-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by canderson
thanks guys!!! ya thats awesome im only planning on going for 2 months anyway because one of my buddies is down there and im gonna go visit. BEAAAAAUTY im pumped thanks again boyss

I wouldnt get a work visa if i were you....if your only there for 2 months, apparently you can only get one work visa to australia once in your life or something. Coulda heard wrong but my mom is a travel agent....