PDA

View Full Version : Problem with winter car

schurchill39
11-29-2005, 11:38 PM
My winter car is a 1985 Pontiac 6000. The other day I noticed a little bit of anti freeze down where the passenger puts their feet. It was just a little bit so I disregarded it thinking I might of over filled my coolant resevoir the day before. But after all of my running around today there is now a puddle there. It seems to be comming from behind the dash and dripping out.

I was told it was more then likely my heater core. Can any one confirm this for me before I go and buy the part. If I have to replace the heater core how would I go about doing it?

Also what would you guys recommend for cleaning this shit up off the carpet.

I work every night (after school) for the next few days so I wouldnt be able to fix the problem until thursday-friday. Is driving my car in its current condition dangerous?

Any help is appreciated!

dieselpower91
11-29-2005, 11:47 PM
if it is leaking on the inside it would be your heater core.

It isn't dangerous to drive like that just check the coolant level everyonce and a while.

I would say just find a good car wash with a carpet shampoo machine and clean it that way. (after you use a shop vac to suck up the coolant on the floor)

AllGoNoShow
11-29-2005, 11:49 PM
It will smell bad, clean it up as Logan said.

I'm not sure on the procedure for heater core, but most of them are a bitch to do. Being a winter beater I'm asusming you will want to fix it and not by pass it so its got to be done. Don't worry I have to do it for the BMW as well. mines not too bad tho so I am going to hold off until it worsens.

Zero102
11-30-2005, 09:06 AM
Depending on how the heater core is mounted, it could be one of the hoses leading to the heater core.
Most likely problem is the heater core though.

As far as the installation, the haynes manual is your friend, but expect to be pulling the whole dash.