PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an orbital... where & which one to get?

joejoe3
11-30-2005, 11:34 AM
Hi guys

For the crazy detailing guys out there, what kind of orbital do u recommand? I am looking for a good one at decent price in town.

Please recommand some good ones and where in town I could find it...

Thanks!

joejoe3
12-01-2005, 12:31 AM
Come on guys, please help
it's a xmas gift for a friend who loves detailing!

calgarygts
12-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Porter Cable 7424 or Porter Cable 7336 (the only difference is that the 7336 comes with a bigger counterweight which will reduce vibration - I recommend this one). You will also need to buy some pads for it - look on eshine.ca and get a pad kit. If you look around you may be able to find a decent price for it. If you need it quick they have them at canadian tire but they're expensive - I think I also heard they have them at home depot but don't take my word for it.
Don't get a shitty one because it's less money. This is something you don't want to skimp on - do you really want a piece of crap tool to work on your paint? Polishes are also needed for this too - it kind of gets expensive in a hurry so depending on how much money you have you may want to rethink this.
If your friend loves detailing get them some decent microfiber towels and a really good wax or something like that. Maybe a claybar and lube??

calgarygts
12-01-2005, 08:54 AM
By the way, nice numbers on the rsx.

joejoe3
12-01-2005, 09:52 AM
Thanks man (*and the comment)

I take your word on the orbital haha, seeing how shiny your car in your signature is…
Yea my buddy has everything and only missing an orbital that’s all, so I want to get him a good one to complete his set. How much does the Porter Cable 7336 go for locally?

Pee_Sack
12-01-2005, 09:57 AM
^^ werd listen to him, he knows his shit when it comes to car detailing

allways see him posting in threads during the summer about detailing, and has helped me out a lot.

calgarygts
12-01-2005, 03:55 PM
I laugh at your name every time i see it. pee sack. hilarious.

I don't know how cheap you can get it here - I went out and bought mine at crappy tire before looking around and got bent over on the price. It somewhere in the neighborhood of 240ish bucks I'm pretty sure, but if you go to coastaltool.com they're 119USD plus shipping. You can check around detailing sites for better but that's a decent price. You should have it within two weeks maximum from them (ask for USPS shipping, not UPS shipping).

Hope you find one.

joejoe3
12-01-2005, 06:50 PM
What other places sell orbitals in calgary anyways? Other than crappy tire?

BerserkerCatSplat
12-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Sears sells a Craftsman one, I bought one for my father and he loves it. I got it on sale for pretty cheap, too.

joejoe3
12-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Hmm, i'll go check it out...

BTW, maybe a dumb question, but is an Orbit Sander same as a Orbit Poilsher?

Basically u swap out the pads and use it for different purposes?

calgarygts
12-02-2005, 10:13 AM
the random orbital polisher actually came out as a sander first, and wasn't discovered as a detailing tool for a few years. You can do both with a random orbital, it's mostly used for finishing sanding. You just have to switch the backing plate/pad. If you're going to get your buddy any pads don't buy the ones around here - look on eshine.ca, they have pad kits and flexible backing plates there.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - don't cheap out with this tool. Get the porter cable.

joejoe3
12-02-2005, 11:25 AM
Yea i think i'll get the PC from Crappy tire... runs in the low $200's
Thanks for all the help you guys.

calgarygts
12-02-2005, 11:29 AM
I should metion one thing, don't use the pad that comes with the polisher, it's crap. I cut mine apart and use the pieces to polish the plastic on the car (lights).

teggypimp95
12-02-2005, 11:50 AM
I use to be the head car detailer for the bmw gallery so if u need advice on products or techqunics and shit just give a shout.

Pee_Sack
12-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by calgarygts
I laugh at your name every time i see it. pee sack. hilarious.

a little bit off topic, but the reason I choose the name is because it is my last name in real life.

Mind you it is spelt different and pronounced different, but most people miss pronouce, either to try and be funny or they are illiterate. It just something I have addopted over the years as a nickname with my friends.

joejoe3
12-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Wow got a lot more respond than I expected. Thanks all.

Btw, my headlights are pretty beat up by rocks chips over the years. can it be sand down?

teggypimp95
12-02-2005, 12:32 PM
not if there plastic, it will just scratch the hell out of it, go to canadian tire or where ever and get mcquires (spelling) plastic cleaner and plaster polisher, clean them really well with thoes and u will notice a huge differnce, gets rid of any disscoloring or sun damage.

joejoe3
12-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Does it fill the dents and make it smooth?

calgarygts
12-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Actually you can use wet paper to wetsand your headlights and take a lot of the pitting and swirling out of them. You need to use fairly high grits - I wouldn't go below 800grit, and work your way back up in the smallest increments you can find (800, 1000, 1200, 1500, etc.) right up to around 2500 grit, or even 3000 if you can find some. From there you can use a rubbing compound such as meguire's plastx with the orbital and it should look as good as new. If you can't get all the sanding marks out you may need to use a bit more abrasive polish before plastx.
I recommend taking the light off the car to avoid touching the paint while doing this. Also put aside a day to do this, it will take a while. If you have any questions about it just ask.

joejoe3
12-05-2005, 09:48 AM
I don't have much pits... maybe a few here and there, but mostly scratches from rock chips from last winter.

SorrGwa
12-22-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by joejoe3
Hi guys

For the crazy detailing guys out there, what kind of orbital do u recommand? I am looking for a good one at decent price in town.

Please recommand some good ones and where in town I could find it...

Thanks!

i have a professional mikita polisher. expensive, but worth every penny, no more back breaking waxing...