PDA

View Full Version : H4 dual filament bulb - HID possibility?

rc2002
11-30-2005, 12:23 PM
A friend of mine has dual filament H4 bulbs as OEM equipment. He wants to upgrade to HID without losing his high-beams.

What are his options? Anyone know of companies that make dual filament H4 HID kits?

Thanks.

rc2002
11-30-2005, 12:25 PM
And is it true that the dual beam HID bulbs have moving parts inside the bulb in order to change the beam pattern? Are they more prone to failure?

legendboy
11-30-2005, 12:36 PM
not in the bulb, inside the projector housing/part of the projector that moves.

civicsi
11-30-2005, 01:03 PM
h4 kits that still have the high beam feature has moving parts in the base of the bulb. it will move the bulb forward or backwards, therefore giving you high and low beam.
kits ive seen are built very poor and are more prone to failure.

Chester
11-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
And is it true that the dual beam HID bulbs have moving parts inside the bulb in order to change the beam pattern? Are they more prone to failure?

The shield in the projector moves to allow more light out when the highbeams are switched on.

FiveFreshFish
11-30-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

Do a bi-xenon HID conversion using OE parts. As mentioned above, a solenoid moves the shield for high beam function. The bulb, projector and reflector don't move.

Zero102
11-30-2005, 01:18 PM
Do not retrofit HID bulbs into a halogen housing....
Please. Just don't do it. Conversions like this are TERRIBLE for glare, and everybody driving at you will hate you for doing it.

That said, properly-done HID retrofits are a wonderful thing. If you install projector assemblies that are built as a kit, and are e-code or dot legal, and are aimed properly, then you can see a massive increase in lighting, and consequently greatly increased safety when driving at night. This is the only way to go IMO.

The kits that place a D2S or D2R bulb in place of your old H4 bulb are poorly done, and are terrible for glare.

dantiu
11-30-2005, 04:12 PM
There are lots of brands...So do you guys know which brand is the best?

rc2002
12-01-2005, 04:45 PM
Thanks for all the quick responses guys! :thumbsup:

Looks like a bixenon retrofit is going to be a pretty big undertaking. And dual filament doesn't seem to be a great idea...

Glad I don't have H4's. :)

FatboyTheHungry
12-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Helios is soon releasing an H4 H/L kit where the bulb actually moves up and down. I am told it should be shipping in a month or so. They also currently offer a H/L kit where the low beam is HID, but the high beam is halogen. You can get the kit at Speedtech for about 550. I currently have the 2-bulb style in my Civic, but I'm planning to upgrade to the single moving bulb as soon as it comes in.