PDA

View Full Version : Cal-alta Auto Glass

CLiVE
11-30-2005, 05:27 PM
Need some opinions on Cal-Alta auto glass

Has anyone had their windshield replaced by Cal-alta auto glass, and if so would you recommend them?

I have a 1" hole in my windshield of my MINI from a ball bearing. :banghead: :banghead:
Cal-alta gave me the best quote. $600 less that what the dealer was asking.

CRXguy
11-30-2005, 05:37 PM
I need to know as well. I've yet to replace the original windshield, and now it has too many cracks! :thumbsdow :guns:

Nix87
11-30-2005, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
I need to know as well. I've yet to replace the original windshield, and now it has too many cracks! :thumbsdow :guns:

:werd: any other shop reccommendations..

KoukiS14
11-30-2005, 05:41 PM
The only experience i had with cal alta were a few chip repairs. They were done in a timely manner. No complaints.

CLiVE
11-30-2005, 05:50 PM
Just for interest they quoted me $235 installed for a full windshield replacement for my MINI. Aftermarket PPG windshield.

Dealer price was over $800.
Other places were in the $300 - $350 range.

Nix87
11-30-2005, 06:00 PM
I'll have to call the cheapest ive found so far is $550 for my car :(

Boostn
11-30-2005, 06:58 PM
I've had nothing but great service from Cal-Alta. I recently had a windshield replaced (PPG) and several chips repaired with excellent results. They even took the time to save my moulding which was still in good shape and reuseable. Most other places claimed that mouldings must be replaced regardless of condition and quoted ridiculous $$$. The entire staff is friendly and helpful. Tim and the guys will hook you up for sure! :thumbsup: I'd have no problems recommending them.

arian_ma
11-30-2005, 08:16 PM
I don't know if this is right, but OEM windshield is always a lot more expensive.
When I was car hunting, whenever I saw a cracked windshield I'd always thought yea w/e 200$ repair.
But then my mechanic told me that those aftermarket windshields were horrible, cracked easier, and were not as safe.
I don't know this for sure though if anyone can verify.

CLiVE
11-30-2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
I don't know if this is right, but OEM windshield is always a lot more expensive.
When I was car hunting, whenever I saw a cracked windshield I'd always thought yea w/e 200$ repair.
But then my mechanic told me that those aftermarket windshields were horrible, cracked easier, and were not as safe.

I've actually heard the opposite. That PPG windshields are better than OEM in many cases. Can anyone confirm?

FatboyTheHungry
11-30-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

OEM is always more expensive, but as far as quality, it really depends on the aftermarket windshield manufacturer. Some really are crap-tastic, but I have had great experience with PPG windhshields in the past. They look like, and seem to be as durable as oem. I have just had another windshield replaced on my Civic at Glass Masters on 32nd Ave and 19th St. They did my windshield for about 190, including tax. Looks and fits just like the original.

frozenrice
11-30-2005, 10:35 PM
Moore's Autoglass.
Mobile too so they come to where you are.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89929&highlight=moores

Nix87
11-30-2005, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
Moore's Autoglass.
Mobile too so they come to where you are.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89929&highlight=moores

that convenient but would it be a good idea to have installed when its cold??

Zoom_Zoom
11-30-2005, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Nix87

that convenient but would it be a good idea to have installed when its cold??

Why not? I had one installed on my accord last winter and I had no problems with it.

Nix87
11-30-2005, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Zoom_Zoom

Why not? I had one installed on my accord last winter and I had no problems with it.

just issues with sealing or whatever but its obviously not an issue.. all i need to know thanks.

HRD2PLZ
12-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by CLiVE

I've actually heard the opposite. That PPG windshields are better than OEM in many cases. Can anyone confirm?

I believe a few of the manufacturers actually use PPG for their OEM windshields :)

CLiVE
12-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Had my windshield replaced on Saturday by Cal-Alta.
Excellent work, and friendly knowledgeable staff. 2 days and no problems. I'll keep you updated.

I would highly recommend them. :thumbsup:

Total came to $275 all in. Slightly more than the $235 quote b/c the upper molding had to be replaced. By far the best quote I found.

CRXguy
12-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Which location did you go to, or does it matter at all?

CLiVE
01-20-2006, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by CRXguy
Which location did you go to, or does it matter at all?

Went to the North location.

It has been in a few months now.
Had a problem with the upper molding squeaking, but went back and they fixed it up for me. No problems now.

Nissanaddict
01-20-2006, 09:49 AM
I've heard they're good. I've also heard a good review of Apple Auto Glass on Bannister road.

3G
01-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Try Dynasty Autoglass on 38 ave and edmonton trail they were the cheapest when i was looking for a windshield for my 91 prelude. they wanted 199 installed others were 250ish