PDA

View Full Version : -> -> Is it difficult to install a stereo in a RSX? <- <-

t604
11-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Hi

I am thinking of gettign a Sony MP3 car stereo for my Mom's RSX but don't want to pay for installation.

Is install easy on a RSX?

Thanks

Ty

kanip
11-30-2005, 05:57 PM
installing a deck into a car shouldnt be too hard... as long as you know what wires are what back there...

or even better head to your local stereo installation place and get a wiring harness and a dash kit.. that makes it all super simple. I'd hit up auto temp if ones close those guys are really good... but anywhere will have that sorta thing.. futureshop.. a and b... etc...

(i cant remember what the rsx's look like inside so I cant remember if its a DIN setup already... you may not need a dash kit but i've only ever seen that case in Hondas and Hyundais)

other than that... it should be pretty straight forward, remove the stock stereo, install the dash kit, wire the deck harness to the wiring harness you purchased, then plug that into where you unplugged your stock stereo... slide in the aftermarket deck and voila

with any luck you shouldnt run into any problems that some newer vehicles entail... from what i've heard you have to do a buncha fancy crap for sunfire deck installs cause the door chimes and stuff are in the factory deck... or something.. so it requires alot of extra work. but i dont think acura does anything that silly yet ;)

good luck.
(and IMO stay away from sony decks but yeah its your cash dude)

A2VR6
11-30-2005, 08:57 PM
Is it a premium/base or a type-s? A type-s will need a dash kit where was a premium/base wont.

t604
12-01-2005, 12:13 AM
It's an automatic Premium model. S-Type is manual only right?

Anyway The stereo comes with the kit etc of course.

The thing is I don't even know where I disconnect the stereo from. Like where do I unscrew it from or pull it out from?

I'm not affraid to do it, I just need some tips in the beginning.

Hey, why do Sony decks suck? It's only $130 CAD for a MP3 deck.

Thanks

:dunno:

DR.Gonzo
12-03-2005, 01:07 AM
I dont want to sound like a prick or anything, but do you hate your mom? cause it kinda seems like you might not like her to much right now. a deck install will cost $45.00 at alot of shops. I understand the want to do it yourself, thats how I got into this buisness and recommend it to anyone. BUT learning on someones new nice car is a risky game to play even with a simple deck install. If you are unable to figure out how to 1: get the OE head out of the dash and 2:distinguish what you have to do from there ( if you havent broken a few panels in the car costing more money ) you likely should take it to a professional. If they break something they have to fix it . Not trying to discourage you in your wanting to learn how to do all this stuff, but maybe learn on your car and go from there might be smarter this time.

Weapon_R
12-03-2005, 01:14 AM
Do it yourself. It's not rocket science and you do not need a professional to install any electronics in your car. Once you learn how to do a couple, you will realize that its very easy.

Anyways, try and find yourself an online guide. Usually, you will have to remove the surrounding panels around the deck and then unbolt the factory radio (as it is held in with 2 or 4 bolts).

Buy a wiring harness. You can find them anywhere, including Crappy tire (around 10 dollars). It'll make your install so much cleaner, and your life that much easier. NEVER hardwire a deck, it looks like shit and is ghetto.

The harness will contain a series of wires that correspond in color to the wires on your new aftermarket stereo. Just match the colors, connect and solder or crimp the wires. Cover each bare connection with electric tape. Plug in the aftermarket harness into your cars harness, and its good to go. Now secure your new deck into the dash (and bolt it good so it doesn't get jacked) and you are good to go. Don't forget to reconnect the antenna wire :banghead:

Most of the decks that sony make lack in features, advertise power ratings that are overrated, and are prone to burning out quicker than others. I'd stick to Pioneer or Alpine, or if you are on a budget, Kenwood or JVC. All of these guys make really good stereos.

Barking_Spidre
12-03-2005, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by t604

It's only $130 CAD for a MP3 deck.

Exactly.

seer_claw
12-03-2005, 02:04 AM
Here you go, its even got pictures. ;)

TI.net (http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=974)

Jonathan@TCS
12-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
NEVER hardwire a deck, it looks like shit and is ghetto.

What are you talking about? If done properly, hardwiring looks cleaner than a harness!

Most of the decks that sony make lack in features, advertise power ratings that are overrated, and are prone to burning out quicker than others. I'd stick to Pioneer or Alpine, or if you are on a budget, Kenwood or JVC. All of these guys make really good stereos.

Again, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Sony decks usually have lots of features for the price. For the average person, they are great. Personnally I don't think they sound as good as Pioneer or Alpine. As for Kenwood or JVC, don't waste your time or money.

FlySi
12-03-2005, 10:32 PM
dont take advice from a guy who sells "high performance tint". sony decks suck. theres a reeson they sell for 100 new. they suck dick and you get what u pay for

calgarys_finest
12-03-2005, 10:59 PM
if you go to places like futurshop and visions most of the decks get free installation

DR.Gonzo
12-03-2005, 11:13 PM
I have never liked sony...... at least their car audio. but at thier price point are they any worse than anything else? I dont think so personally, but I would also never own a sony piece..... well there was one head about 5 years ago that was awesome. But that deck isnt made anymore. Anyone remember the CD90? ( is that right? Im not sure ) About 1100.00 retail anyways

Jonathan@TCS
12-04-2005, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by FlySi
dont take advice from a guy who sells &quot;high performance tint&quot;. sony decks suck. theres a reeson they sell for 100 new. they suck dick and you get what u pay for

When are people going to understand, HIGH PERFORMANCE is what the manufacturer calls it. And as for Sony, I didn't say I would buy one. But yeah, the C90 was an awesome deck!

FiveFreshFish
12-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Cover each bare connection with electric tape.

Good advice on the harness, but use heat shrink instead of tape.