PDA

View Full Version : Joe Thornton Traded!!!

A2VR6
11-30-2005, 08:52 PM
The Boston Bruins have traded Joe Thornton to the San Jose Sharks for Marco Sturm, Brad Stuart and Wayne Primeau. Details to follow...

http://www.tsn.ca/

look under breaking news...

WOW!:eek:

stevieo
11-30-2005, 08:55 PM
blockbuster indeed, i was watching the tor vs tb game and this is a shock

i think the bruins got robbed though.

darkbanana
11-30-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by stevieo
blockbuster indeed, i was watching the tor vs tb game and this is a shock

i think the bruins got robbed though.

yeah they got the wrong Primeau :rofl:

88CRX
11-30-2005, 09:06 PM
What the hell is Boston thinking. Thornton is there francise player. dumb dumb dumb.

I'm shocked :dunno:

Team_Mclaren
11-30-2005, 09:08 PM
holy shit wtf are they smoking, i want a piece!

AznDragon2004
11-30-2005, 09:09 PM
When i read the thread title i was hoping he was coming to the FLAMES :D

cman
11-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Crazy Joe is in the west and not playing for the Flames, that cant be good:( .
like has been said, wtf is Boston thinking.

A2VR6
11-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by AznDragon2004
When i read the thread title i was hoping he was coming to the FLAMES :D

I really dont think we could afford him lol!

l8braker
11-30-2005, 09:15 PM
makes you wonder what was going on:dunno:

sharks will be an even better team.:thumbsup:

Kirbs17
11-30-2005, 10:02 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: holy shit that changes a lot

Street_Soldier
11-30-2005, 10:16 PM
holy shit~!

seer_claw
11-30-2005, 10:37 PM
Look he had to go thru arbritration (sp?) for the Bruins to sign him. Does that really make him a franchise player? I personally don't think so, if he wanted to play for the Bruins it wouldn't have gone to arbritation. Anyways, it may be an advantage for the Bruins to solidfy up their 3rd and 4th lines as they really don't seem to be producing.

lastprodigy
11-30-2005, 10:40 PM
^^ He may not be a true franchise player like an Iginla or Naslund, but he sure was Boston's Franchise player. Pretty huge trade that doesnt make the most sense either.

A_3
11-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by seer_claw
Look he had to go thru arbritration (sp?) for the Bruins to sign him. Does that really make him a franchise player? I personally don't think so, if he wanted to play for the Bruins it wouldn't have gone to arbritation. Anyways, it may be an advantage for the Bruins to solidfy up their 3rd and 4th lines as they really don't seem to be producing.

9 Goals and 24 Assists, seems not too bad for me. I think the other guys combined are putting up similar numbers. Huge trade though, I can't figure out what Boston was thinking, that's like us trading away Iggy. The guys Boston got in return aren't bad, all high draft picks, but still, no Joe Thorton. It was probably some sort of strife between the organization and himself. As said above, he did have to go through arbitration, he may not have been so happy about that.

habsfan
11-30-2005, 11:11 PM
wow...they must have some strong fuckin crack in boston :eek:

Nite_Rydah
12-01-2005, 12:47 AM
Brad Stuart is my cousin, it's sad to see him move east but the NHL is a business. It sucks since western teams rarely play eastern teams and he'll make it here only once a year if that (what an odd coincidence the B's are playing at Rexall on Saturday). I'm sure Brad will continue to do well in Boston.

88CRX
12-01-2005, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Nite_Rydah
Brad Stuart is my cousin, it's sad to see him move east but the NHL is a business. It sucks since western teams rarely play eastern teams and he'll make it here only once a year if that (what an odd coincidence the B's are playing at Rexall on Saturday). I'm sure Brad will continue to do well in Boston.

yup, hes a great d-man, we watched him back in his Regina Pats days :thumbsup: met him a couple times.... super nice guy.

coolstoryhansel
12-01-2005, 01:03 AM
Boston got raped!

s dime
12-01-2005, 01:05 AM
A little off topic, but which NHL teams has joe thornton played for since he started playing pro hockey?

crazy trade btw. :nut:

stevieo
12-01-2005, 01:09 AM
none, drafted first overall in 97 by the bruins.

funny, numbers 1 and 2 overall picks in 97 are on the same team hehe.

Eken9
12-01-2005, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
What the hell is Boston thinking. Thornton is there francise player. dumb dumb dumb.

I'm shocked :dunno:
:werd:

Speechless, What is O'Connel thinking? Trading a top franchise player for Marco Sturm, Wayne Primeau and Brad Stuart, not one all-star among those three. With all 3 of their combined points they don't even surbass Thorton:confused:

eb0i
12-01-2005, 01:41 AM
I feel bad for Thornton. He sounded super disappointed on the phone interview (and who wouldn't be?).

the-law
12-01-2005, 01:45 AM
A great trade for San Jose.
Thornton rocks!

BigDannyCool
12-01-2005, 05:46 AM
bottom line, Boston wasn't winning, it was time for a change. The three players from the Sharks were all first rounders.

toyboy88
12-01-2005, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by BigDannyCool
bottom line, Boston wasn't winning, it was time for a change. The three players from the Sharks were all first rounders.

ya right now im thinking that the bruins will start doing "Better" from the 3 players they got too...???:dunno:

Kirbs17
12-01-2005, 10:17 AM
No, but It shows the rest of the team to start playing like NHL players, or their gone too. Thats one hell of a shake up

buh_buh
12-01-2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by BigDannyCool
bottom line, Boston wasn't winning, it was time for a change. The three players from the Sharks were all first rounders. first rounders don't really mean much... I don't think Calgary could've gotten Thornton for Daniel Tkaczuk, Rico Fata, and Brent Krahn if they were all still in the system. ;)

Boston got jacked hard. I'd probably give up Leopold, Donovan and Langkow for Thornton, which sounds like an even better deal than Sturm, Stuart, Primeau.

Orbie
12-01-2005, 12:15 PM
I understand the need to shake things up, but why not get some players to compliment your star player instead of getting a bunch of mediocre performers and getting rid of your star player. Someone mentioned before that Boston wanted to boost their third and fourth lines, now they don't even have a top line! You'd think you would improve your top lines first before boosting the third and fourth strings.

Oh well at least Marleau plays the same position, I'm sure those two guys on the same line wouldn't be healthy for the western conference.

Bill Cosby
12-01-2005, 01:36 PM
whoa.. this trade leaves a bad taste in my mouth, i never expected joe to be anywhere but boston

eb0i
12-01-2005, 01:39 PM
I wouldn't have minded the Bruins calling up Calgary (as discussed amongst a friend and myself) as we would willingly give them Langkow, Donovan and Leopold for Thornton. As this is the equivalent of what the Sharks gave to the Bruins.

Imagine Thornton and Iggy together :drool:

dericer
12-01-2005, 01:46 PM
East should never trade with the West and Vice Versa. It doesn't work.

I can only think of a handful of trades in the NHL's history that have worked.

It's sad to see 4 player's careers take a dive like this.

I'd bet the farm that Thornton won't be in San Jose for all three years of his contract.

Plus with Marleau either being converted to a winger, or moved to the 2nd, I think his potential might be stiffled aswell.

:thumbsdow

toyboy88
12-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by eb0i
I wouldn't have minded the Bruins calling up Calgary (as discussed amongst a friend and myself) as we would willingly give them Langkow, Donovan and Leopold for Thornton. As this is the equivalent of what the Sharks gave to the Bruins.

or trade Ference instead of Leopold first! :dunno:

Hakkola
12-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Funny, it's first period in Ottawa and Stuart and Sturm have already contributed. Boston 2 Ottawa 0. Maybe the trade won't be so bad for Boston, or San Jose in the long run.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see though.

Orbie
12-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Holy, maybe we all missed something. Look at Sturm go against Ottawa! first game out and it's 2-0 Boston. Sturm 1G/1A already, Stuart 1A

Kirbs17
12-01-2005, 07:13 PM
lol damn you orbie, u beat me. yea, definatly sounds like those 2 are enjoying the change of scenery. im sure Wayne will like being closer to Keith as well

BigDannyCool
12-01-2005, 08:13 PM
well they're beating the best team in the NHL.

rage2
12-01-2005, 09:18 PM
3-0 final boston. Wow.

Weapon_R
12-01-2005, 09:33 PM
One of the networks had a little clip today of the history of trades that were perceived as incredibly dumb, much like the Thornton trade...

I found it funny that we traded star player Joe Neuwendyk for a relative unknown who had never played an NHL game before...Jarome Iginla :D

SI-vic
12-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

I found it funny that we traded star player Joe Neuwendyk for a relative unknown who had never played an NHL game before...Jarome Iginla :D

:dunno:
pfffft.... what were the flames thinking

edit:
this reminds me
this trade BETTER be good for Thornton
if not then he's a wasted player in my hockey pool
:whipped:

00Celica
12-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by eb0i

I dont think Langkow, Donovan and leopold are an equivelent of primeau sturm and stuart. Primeau isnt a great scorer, but was a fan favorite, but not really a factor. however sturm is way more appealing than i struggling donovan or langkow IMO because sturm is a two way player who can also score(7 on the year) Also, leopold isnt equivelent to stuart. He is struggling badly on the offensive end (0G 3A) compared to stuarts (2G 11A). Stuart is also an all around better D man than leopold. I couldnt see Calgary making a move for thornton with the players they were willing to part with.

88CRX
12-02-2005, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by 00Celica

I dont think Langkow, Donovan and leopold are an equivelent of primeau sturm and stuart. Primeau isnt a great scorer, but was a fan favorite, but not really a factor. however sturm is way more appealing than i struggling donovan or langkow IMO because sturm is a two way player who can also score(7 on the year) Also, leopold isnt equivelent to stuart. He is struggling badly on the offensive end (0G 3A) compared to stuarts (2G 11A). Stuart is also an all around better D man than leopold. I couldnt see Calgary making a move for thornton with the players they were willing to part with.

Fan960 was saying today that Sutter was in contact with Boston and they did talk about Thornton possibly coming to Calgary. But as soon as Boston mentioned Robyn Regher, Sutter ended those talks.

Would you guys have been happy seeing Thornton come here for Regher, Reinprecht and Nilson :dunno:

Orbie
12-02-2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
One of the networks had a little clip today of the history of trades that were perceived as incredibly dumb, much like the Thornton trade...

I found that was more to do with the shrinking Canadian dollar and rising player salaries. Which ended up being a large reason why we couldn't keep a lot of our star players from the championship team and had to rebuild with young unknowns.

Vice versa look at the trade where we got rid of Doug Gilmour, the only player we got that anyone might remember is Berube, and only because he was tough not productive. Incredibly dumb trade...and sure enough time proved it to be just that.

Weapon_R
12-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Fan960 was saying today that Sutter was in contact with Boston and they did talk about Thornton possibly coming to Calgary. But as soon as Boston mentioned Robyn Regher, Sutter ended those talks.

Would you guys have been happy seeing Thornton come here for Regher, Reinprecht and Nilson :dunno:

No. We would have gained a good forward but lost a world class defenceman.

Skyline_Addict
12-02-2005, 01:01 AM
boston is a crap team in need of a huge change. if anyone was going to leave it was likely to be him. i think thornton is a great player, big physical guy who has skill.

tapout
12-02-2005, 03:51 AM
it was a good trade for both teams now we got mr joe in the west

rage2
12-02-2005, 07:35 PM
haha SJ 11 mins into 1st period has a 4-0 lead. Not bad after losing the last 10 games.