PDA

View Full Version : Keg's Life Span

Dave P
12-01-2005, 01:15 PM
Well The Xmas Party season is starting.

And since this is the first year on my own, I think a kegger open house party is in order.

How long do kegs last if they are kept chilled?

If i were to crack it friday afternoon, would it last until sunday?

And with regards to chilling it, its about -15 out, could i leave it outside to chill? would it freeze? or should I just put it in a huge bucket and back it with snow/ice?

Go Keggers Go

Thanks for any tips.

Dave P

Kirbs17
12-01-2005, 01:17 PM
If its a full size keg, get one of those large green or silver garbage cans, put the keg in, fill it with ice. keep a tarp under it, and your good to go. and yes, the keg will last until sunday

GoChris
12-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Dave P
would it last until sunday?

the question is will YOU last until sunday? ;)

gp36912
12-01-2005, 02:12 PM
lol ^^^^^ ditto im really not sure if a keg would freeze but i know hard alc wont :P

DUBBED
12-01-2005, 02:15 PM
The only problem with leaving it outside is that the pump will freeze. And you definately don't want that.

retro-steve
12-01-2005, 02:27 PM
if you have over 10 people who are hard drinkers the keg certainly won't last until saturday afternoon

rip
12-01-2005, 02:32 PM
If you open it Friday it isn't going to taste very good come sunday.

nambis
12-01-2005, 02:49 PM
i think he means will is be drinkable on sunday.... not will it be gone.

if you open it friday it will be gross within 24 hours

sputnik
12-01-2005, 03:01 PM
A keg tapped for longer than 12 hours gets pretty skunky.

You are better off getting 2 half kegs instead of hoping one will last the weekend.

dericer
12-01-2005, 03:06 PM
an untapped keg is good for roughly 3-4 months from the time it was kegged. It should have an expiry date on it somewheres.

If it's tapped it's good for a couple days to even a couple weeks if you have a good tap.

Most <$20.00 taps leak, and let O2 into the Keg = skunky beer.

A good entry level tap is the American Sankey style (D System Type) most common is North America. Which is about $50 for starters.

The Best is just new on the market. I believe it's called the "Turbo Tap" It supposed to be able to dispence upto 20 times faster beer from an ordinary Keg. I've heard it's more like 4 times though but is great for huge keggers. It starts at $100.00

davidI
12-01-2005, 04:08 PM
^ like he said...get a good pump and you'll be fine. Unfortunately, usually teh ones you can rent suck and so will your beer after 10+ hours.

RORYG
12-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Sounds like dericer knows what hes talking about.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Darkane
12-02-2005, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by retro-steve
if you have over 10 people who are hard drinkers the keg certainly won't last until saturday afternoon

Exactly. Ive done a keg with 2 buddies in 3 days. Man was that hard. Try that! :nut:

gp36912
12-07-2005, 01:37 PM
a keg in 3 days with 2 buddies... u'd get a hangover for a week,:(

buh_buh
12-07-2005, 02:00 PM
I've done a keg in 1 night with 5 other guys. We also finished a texas mickey of crown in the same weekend.:nut:

And it like everyone said, it'll last til sunday, it just wouldn't taste very good. ;)

'93 SR-V
12-07-2005, 02:07 PM
A keg on a hand pump (the one the liquor store will rent you) will be good for about 24 hrs, and that's kind of pushing it... 12 is a better # if you want carbonation. The problem with those taps is that they pump air into the keg, and this will cause the beer to go flat quickly. I bought a co2 pump off of a place called kegworks.com it was a while back, but I think it was about $100? Anyway, it keeps kegs good for weeks. I don't know if you really want to spend the money on something like that, but it's an option... also you could rent one, look in the yellowpages.

Supa Dexta
12-17-2005, 06:40 PM
The date you see stamped on the side of kegs is when it was made not the expiration date. Hand pumps or "bronco" pumps will only be good for a day or so like mentioned, On gas your good for a while (staright air is ok for a short bit, co2 ok for a couple weeks, (then it over carbonates the beer), in bars in a cooler kegs are good for 2-3 months, but most never live to see that age, although some bars do.. not mentioning any names...you'll taste it if it is the case... We rent out portable coolers and gas.. We also service most of the bars in town and try to keep them running good.... so as for your keg depends on how picky you are, I'm sure theres lots of guys wouldn't think twice about finishing it off...

:)