PDA

View Full Version : Lane changing question

BigTruckDriver
12-01-2005, 06:18 PM
I've asked around about this issue, but I'd like to hear some more opinions on it.

When you are going to change lanes, should you shoulder check before you turn on your signal? or vise versa? or does the order really matter at all?

I looked at the alberta driving guide, and it wasn't really of much use with this, it just says "you should shoulder check and signal when you want to change lanes".

It really depends on what you treat a turning signal as. Does the turning signal indicate to other drivers that you want to do something, and will do so when it can be done safely?... OR, does it indicate to the other driver that are going to do something, because you have already deemed it to be safe?

Tha VZA
12-01-2005, 06:24 PM
IMO

pay attention to what's going on behind you with your mirrors

signal...wait a sec shoulder check...then go....

even if you think no one is there someone say two cars behind could come up on you between signalling time and lane changing time

ciao

Xtrema
12-01-2005, 06:24 PM
My common sense says:

Singal, shoulder check, lane change, signal off.

It's always nice to let someone know what you're doing in advance before you do it. shoulder check only serve as final check.

And really, unless it's heavy taffic, a good driver will always know where cars are around them.

gpomp
12-01-2005, 06:28 PM
i check twice. before and after signalling.

Nissanaddict
12-01-2005, 06:28 PM
in drivers ed they taught to check twice, before and after the signal. (I drive in a lotta rush hour traffic, and usually, it makes no difference, in mornings, I'm typically tired, and it has saved my ass a few times. It's a good habit to get into, since even if you're tired, you'll do it, and it may save you, your car, and someone else and their car.

Foz
12-01-2005, 06:36 PM
it's good practise to shoulder check, signal, shoulder check again and move.

Keep in mind, don't focus too long on the shoulder checks as the vehicle in front of you may come to a stop (i.e. they're tailgating someone, emergency stop etc)

A_3
12-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by gpomp

Same. I check to see if there's a gap in traffic, signal, check again to make sure I didn't miss something in my blind spot, etc.. and then I change lanes.

Kobe
12-01-2005, 06:46 PM

You will lose points on your exam if you don't do this...

Bill Cosby
12-01-2005, 07:02 PM
signal first so the drivers behind you know you want to get in, and then shoulder check to see if you are able to get in..

or shoulder check and then if you can get in signal, but its always good to signal before just so the other drivers are aware of what you are trying to do

Foz
12-01-2005, 07:13 PM
These are all good advice and recommended tips.

However, in real life situation it's something along these lines.

Start turning into your lane, while yapping on the cell phone with your right hand and holding a hot cup of coffee with the left hand, you worry about spilling the hot coffee on you so you skip the turning signal.

Now being in the no patience rush rush situation where ever you're driving to (miss/mr speedy), you never noticed there was someone there in the blind spot. You finally notice and jerk back to your own lane, spilling coffee on you and you're cursing and swearing and complaining to whoever you're talking to.

Meanwhile at the next set of lights, you're wiping off the coffee and flipping the bird to the person you tried to cut off..

bad drivers.

HAHAHAH.. ain't me.. but I'm sure it happens too often.

:guns: :nut:

Sky
12-01-2005, 07:42 PM
if there is no room or unable to make a lane change don't signal, I lost points on that one. Apparently you would distract other drivers if you signal and don't lane change soon enough.

shoulder check, signal, shoulder check, move in, TURN OFF SIGNAL ONLY if you COMPLETED your lane change! <---correct me if I'm wrong.. waaay too many ppl who only flash their signal once or twice before they even start to lane change..

kiwi
12-02-2005, 12:06 AM
I usually shouder check before and after signalling... especially in areas that I know cause extreme blind spots... like, imediately after you turn off onto southbound 14th St. from eastbound Glenmore...

infected
12-02-2005, 12:26 AM
I personally like to use my mirrors and shoulder check once before signalling and repeat it again. Saved my ass when some kid in a neon two cars behind me pulled out all the sudden and floored it past me as I was about to change into his lane. :whipped:

FiveFreshFish
12-02-2005, 12:40 AM
I don't shoulder check. My sideview mirrors are set way out so I can see what would be in blind spots the way most other people set their mirrors. They are called sideview mirrors for a good reason, not outside rearview mirrors. ;)

I take a "deliberate glance" in the side mirror; more like turn my head a bit to look at it. In my peripheral vision, I can still see what's ahead. The other side of my peripheral vision covers anything not seen in the mirror. Then I signal and move.

This method takes a bit to get used to. I've used it since the early 90s and it sure makes lane changes much easier. Harder to do if you wear glasses.

Moonracer
12-02-2005, 12:49 AM
First of all you should know what is around you at all times. When changing lanes, hit your signal first to give other drivers a chance to observe your signal while you are then checking your mirrors. If all is good after that then a quick shoulder check and away you go if it's clear. If it's really busy and you notice a car in the next lane over from the one you are moving to, that looks like they might move into the same lane you want, then you may want to do another quick shoulder check. In case they do move over at the same time as you. But be quick on the shoulder checks, don't get cought staring over in the next lane as the person if front of you has to hit the brakes and you plow into them...:eek:

nismodrifter
12-02-2005, 12:50 AM
OEM Euro Aspherical Mirror pwnz!! :thumbsup:
I still shoulder check anyways though...

Moonracer
12-02-2005, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
OEM Euro Aspherical Mirror owns :thumbsup:

Noooooooooooooooo haha

retro-steve
12-02-2005, 12:57 AM
here's how it works in calgary: if you turn your signal on this is a direct invitation to the driver beside you to speed up so that you can't get infront of him/her. should you try to change lanes after signalling for more than a 1/4 second you are now cutting this person off as they are clearly speeding up to not let you in and you are in for a honking/fingering.

the official alberta lane change is to shoulder check for a good opening and then turn your signal on as you're going into the lane while still shoulder checking. this way you know the way is clear and the person has no time to speed up to block you off.

now in a merging situation all bets are off as people will speed up to not let you in and know for sure you are going to get into their lane at some point. here you have to hope you have a more powerful car than them to get ahead of them or hope there is no one behind them to come in there.

GTS Jeff
12-02-2005, 01:07 AM
I think it's smarter to shoulder check first, then signal, because signalling shows INTENT to lane change.

I get worried when I see someone turn on their signals while I'm in their blind spot...it makes me think, "WTF are you stupid? Can't you see me? And if you can, why bother signalling if you know that you can't go anyway??? Fuck you bitch!"

Moonracer
12-02-2005, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
I think it's smarter to shoulder check first, then signal, because signalling shows INTENT to lane change.

I get worried when I see someone turn on their signals while I'm in their blind spot...it makes me think, &quot;WTF are you stupid? Can't you see me? And if you can, why bother signalling if you know that you can't go anyway??? Fuck you bitch!&quot;

yeah that's just common sense. Like I said, know what's around you at all times. However if it is really crowded and you gotta get over pretty quick then you must get your signal going so someone can make a gap for you. Some of you guys would be surprised at how many times someone will make a gap for you to get in just by turning on your signal for a couple of seconds before you start moving over. Yeah sure there are some assholes that will close the gap but most of the time, if you are being courteous, people will notice that and help you to get in rather than block you. Also some people just don't notice your signal, they're not trying to block you nesessarily.

SilverBoost
12-02-2005, 08:33 AM
I usually shoulder check all my mirrors first, which I'm constantly doing anyhow while driving, but I'll do a quick shoulder check, then signal and then change lanes.

A big problem is that people driving get tunnel vision because they only ever look dead straight ahead until they NEED to look elsewhere, liek ina lane change. Then it's like a big surprise that there's traffiac l around them and they panic because they were suppose to be in the other lane abuot 10 minutes earlier. I am constantly checking all around me and know whos behind me, to the sides, in front etc...

95% of driving is common sense. Which is why there are so many bad ones out there.

I love some of the comments here though on people speeding up... because it's true. I've been given the horn for merging into a space that is abuot 4-5 car lengths, meanwhile I am already speedmatched so there's no issue. I lived in toronto for 5 years... people here dont' know how easy it is sometimes.... if you don't drive a little aggressive in T.O. then you're done. And people expect you to cut in if there's room enough for the exact length of your car then people take it. It's crazy. I've had people here come to complete stops on merge lanes. Stupid.

Then there's Montreal, where using your signal gives you right of way, if you actually decide to use it. They mostly drive by mind reading. Montreal, and well all of Quebec actually is pretty interesting driving. Not for the amature.

Winnipeg is also a hoot. People love to speed there, but I actually like driving in winnipeg because traffic flows pretty decent. You won't see people driving 40 in a 60 there like you do here.

sputnik
12-02-2005, 08:46 AM

same here

khtm
12-02-2005, 09:59 AM
^ + 1

FatboyTheHungry
12-02-2005, 10:49 AM
I mirror and shoulder check before and after I signal.

/////AMG
12-02-2005, 10:55 AM
I signal then shoulder check.

I got in trouble for signalling and shoulder checking in the UK. They said it snot necessary, even if it's empty don’t bother doing it (especially signalling). People here don’t give a fuck abut changing lanes, they start changing flick on their signal, so it flashes once, and then switch it off.
But I still signal, check, then move in to my lane.

hampstor
12-02-2005, 09:59 PM
i remember from drivers ed ...

mirror
shoulder check
signal
should check again
then move

I always shoulder check before turning the signal on...

Moonracer
12-03-2005, 06:22 PM
^^dunno what drivers ed you were learning from but they teach, mirror-signal-shoulder check. But really what it comes down to is doing all three at least.

gp36912
12-03-2005, 09:46 PM
i usual dont even need to check :P, but i still do take a quick look just in case someones going a little fast and manages to sneak up on me then i signal check again, and turn into