PDA

View Full Version : Fixing an Electrical Cord

max_boost
12-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Any electricians on beyond?

Long story short, Finally got that AC Adapter I needed...pet rabbit came upstairs and chewed it in half...

Is there anyway to salvage the cord?

If not, does anyone know where I can possibly get just the cord as the Power Adapter is fine.

Keep in mind that the AC Adapter is for my laptop.

Thanks.

handsomebassman
12-03-2005, 03:02 PM
Well to see if the cord is salvagable, plug it in and put both ends on your tongue.

lol, but for real when i had to repair a faulty power cord off of my power drill, i bought the new cord from home depot. It wasnt too pricey.

Nufy
12-03-2005, 09:17 PM
If its the standard computer type plug, Ive got about a dozen of em on my desk at work.

Want a few ??

Snap a pic of the end and I'll compare for you.

Or what type of computer is it ?

max_boost
12-04-2005, 12:40 AM
Its an old school Toshiba Satellite Laptop...one of the ones that SAIT issued a few years back.

But if you have a wire for it that would be great!

The AC Adapter that I'm using is the Kensington 120W. I just need the wire.

BigDannyCool
12-04-2005, 08:41 AM
all you gotta do is strip down each side and expose the wires, then connect them back together and tape it together with electrical tape, that's what it's for.

danno
12-04-2005, 02:38 PM
^^^^^^^
don't do that!!
your best bet is to use the side that is connected to your computer plug end, and buy a plug end from home depot and put it on.
thats only if you have a long enough piece of cable still

Zero102
12-04-2005, 06:41 PM
Do not just strip it, splice it, and tape it. That is about the worst thing you can do, and it is nothing short of a hack job.
Try to replace the cord. Pics of how it attaches would help.

Tyler883
12-04-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by BigDannyCool
all you gotta do is strip down each side and expose the wires, then connect them back together and tape it together with electrical tape, that's what it's for.

YIKES, I hate finding repair jobs where everything is wrapped in electrical tape. Ussually you'll find that it is hiding a shitty repair job.

Zero102
12-05-2005, 09:24 AM
Hahaha, I see it the other way around, when there is all of that tape, that's _WHY_ it's a shitty repair job ;)

rc2002
12-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Strip both ends back, solder, and heat shrink. That should work.

Tyler883
12-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
Hahaha, I see it the other way around, when there is all of that tape, that's _WHY_ it's a shitty repair job ;)

:D electrical tape has 1001 uses, but I wish it was never used to replace heat shrink or ty wraps.

Zero102
12-06-2005, 03:33 PM
:D
Let me re-phrase
Electrical tape has 1001 uses, none of them are for anything even remotely electrical.

Sorry, my bad sense of humor is kicking in.

Techincally speaking, the best thing to do is replace the cord. Without being able to do that, strip the wiring, make the connection mechanically and electrically secure, then solder (i.e. twist the wires together first), then properly insulate. That is the correct procedure for repairing a cord.
So, heat-shrink is acceptable for this purpose, but sometimes a bit on the rigid side.
That said, I use it in my car all the time. But, with 120V I would be careful.

Tyler883
12-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
:D
Let me re-phrase
Electrical tape has 1001 uses, none of them are for anything even remotely electrical.

Sorry, my bad sense of humor is kicking in.

No need to apologize, I totally apreciate your sense of humor and point of view

:thumbsup: