PDA

View Full Version : Parts availability for Imported Skylines question

bennyhanna
12-03-2005, 04:38 PM
So with more and more people importing cars(Skylines) from overseas, I was wondering.......If something goes wrong with the car, how easy/hard is it to get replacement parts?

I mean lets say your car gets its side window smashed, what parts are compatible with regular NA cars?

Or

Would you need to suck it up and look overseas for replacement parts?

What about basic parts IE
Suspension parts
Interior Hardware

I assume that engine parts(not ECU's) would be easier to access

bennyhanna
12-03-2005, 04:39 PM
And to add to that....

How does insurance on these cars work?

How does the insurer place a value on the vehicle?

FatboyTheHungry
12-03-2005, 04:51 PM
Parts are a pain in the A$$... so I hear anyway from my buddies that have them. Insurance is the same. as any other car. Normal aftermarket things like suspension etc are easier to find. OEM stuff like interior is difficult to find, and expensive.

calgarys_finest
12-03-2005, 07:09 PM
parts for skylines are relitivly hard to come by but cars like 180s where they are virtually the same as a 240 except engine size are easier, insures is basically the same except when you get cars like hiluxs and stuff that is very rare here because the insurance company has no basis to to compare which can make it more or less depending on the company.

mx73someday
12-04-2005, 04:23 AM
For parts compatibility in our market, there is nothing cosmetically/body compatible, some suspension/steering is compatible (also depends on the model of Skyline), and some engine/drivetrain is compatible in our market.

The forums on GTRCanada.com are a good resource. Skyline owners can start relying on the Skyline base in Canada, especially since some of them have been written off. There are some import companies that stock a full range of Skyline parts in Canada. Even some Nissan dealers will order Japanese-only Nissan parts. And finally you could check with local tuner shops or engine importers, Auto Dream has supplied me many used engine sensors and parts for Skylines affordably.

RB25DET
12-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by mx73someday
For parts compatibility in our market, there is nothing cosmetically/body compatible, some suspension/steering is compatible (also depends on the model of Skyline), and some engine/drivetrain is compatible in our market.

The forums on GTRCanada.com are a good resource. Skyline owners can start relying on the Skyline base in Canada, especially since some of them have been written off. There are some import companies that stock a full range of Skyline parts in Canada. Even some Nissan dealers will order Japanese-only Nissan parts. And finally you could check with local tuner shops or engine importers, Auto Dream has supplied me many used engine sensors and parts for Skylines affordably.

:werd: