PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Buying

ramminghard
12-03-2005, 11:49 PM
I am looking at buying a digital camera off of ebay for someone for a christmas. It is a Canon camera. I am wondering what the best way to pay for a more expensive item is. Is there any problems with warranty or anything else if i get it from the US? Never purchased something large off of ebay before so just want to make sure that everything goes well. Any advice would be great. TIA

Stratus_Power
12-04-2005, 12:04 AM
best way to pay is via paypay, avoid money order/western union if i were you. Make sure the seller has good rating, and remeber to factor in the cost of Shipping and duty fee. Avoid UPS Gound at all cost.

Xaroxantu Zero
12-04-2005, 01:30 AM
I think you mean PayPal. LOL

natejj
12-04-2005, 01:40 AM
Paypal works fine for me.... have never had problems with it, although i am sure there are just as many horror stories about it out there.

tapout
12-04-2005, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by natejj
Paypal works fine for me.... have never had problems with it, although i am sure there are just as many horror stories about it out there. :werd: anything on the net is risky to buy

AllGoNoShow
12-04-2005, 01:17 PM
:werd: no problems for me or people i know around here but heard many horror stories.

Vypros
12-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Just got the nikon coolpix5000 for my dad. $500 camera purchased for less than $200 canadian dollars, preloaded with naked pics of previous owners wife, and was shipped from california on monday, arrived at my house friday afternoon :D

crazyning
12-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Vypros
Just got the nikon coolpix5000 for my dad. $500 camera purchased for less than $200 canadian dollars, preloaded with naked pics of previous owners wife, and was shipped from california on monday, arrived at my house friday afternoon :D

Most likely will be safe to buy a large ticket item off of eBay if the seller has a good rating, and accepts Paypal.

Of course, there's a tradeoff of getting something cheap, and would most likely be out of warranty.

Please share these pictures with us....

barbarian
12-04-2005, 03:02 PM
UPS Ground or Fedex Ground will result in an extra $30 in customs brokerage fees.

If it's delivered through Canada post (USPS from the states). UPS Ground and Fedex Ground charges $35 + 7% GST, typically. That may be PER BOX. It can be much worse:

http://www.epinions.com/content_20759744132/show_~allcom

or via google
http://www.google.com/search?&q=outrageous%20UPS%20customs%20fee&sourceid=firefox

In general, the Express services of Fedex, UPS, DHL, etc. may be better--you get faster delivery, and may not have the extra $30.

ramminghard
01-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Which is the best and safest way to pay for something out of these options?
WE ACCEPT MONEY ORDERS,CASH, BIDPAY,ALERTPAY.COM,CERTIFIED CHEQUES. ALSO E MAIL MONEY TRANSFERS WITHIN CANADA.THANKS!!

tictactoe2004
01-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by ramminghard
Which is the best and safest way to pay for something out of these options?
WE ACCEPT MONEY ORDERS,CASH, BIDPAY,ALERTPAY.COM,CERTIFIED CHEQUES. ALSO E MAIL MONEY TRANSFERS WITHIN CANADA.THANKS!!

There's probably a reason he doesnt take paypal. I don't think there is a "best and safest way" out of those listed.

toyboy88
01-09-2006, 10:34 PM
so if i were to buy a motorola usb cable from someone in canada then there should be no duty then correct? thanks in advance :D

Weapon_R
01-09-2006, 10:36 PM
Yes as long as it ships from Canada there will be no duty. Actually, for a simple cable, there shouldn't be any duty anyways (via USPS) if you get it from the U.S.A

C4S
01-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Good luck .. I got scam from ebay before .. one time, nothing ship to me .. few time .. bad condition item ..

Yeah .. I can get my money back from pay pal+visa .. but after 2 months .. and still lost some money on exchange rate ... :(

If you can find something locally, or order from big US camera company ( ie: BH ) do it ..

Don't buy anything electronic from seller with less then 500+ positive rating ... :dunno:

project240
01-09-2006, 10:48 PM
You just have to be a smart buyer on ebay. The person doesn't necessarily have to have 10,000 positive feedback for me to buy from him/her, but I always check out their feedback. Spend 5 minutes looking at their previous auctions... some people have hundreds of feedback, all from buying items.

I've bought a lot of things off ebay and have had a couple bad experiences. I now rarely, if ever buy an expensive item from a seller who doesn't have at least 20+ rating.

My best advice is to do a little research before bidding. I'd much rather spend an extra $20 on and item and know I'm going to receive it.

Always remember "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

liquidboi69
01-16-2006, 02:01 AM
Sorry for bumping this thread..but how would I bypass the ~$30 dollar USP/Fedex brokerage charges?

Get express USP delivery and have it flown in? Does it bypass the brokerage fees this way?

Would USPS be better? I read that USPS and Fedex doesn't have brokerage fees for items under $100, but my item is $250, so how mcuh would I need to pay using USPS/Fedex? I'm kinda confused...
(I'm trying to deliver something $250 from the US into Canada)

FiveFreshFish
01-16-2006, 02:16 AM
If they send it overnight by FedEx or UPS, then it's included and you don't have to pay. Or more correctly, it's included in the fee the sender pays so you're still paying for it somehow. Even so, you will still get nailed for GST on stuff over $20.

Keep in mind that the outrageous brokerage fee also applies to FedEx Ground.

US Postal Service (USPS) is the cheapest way to go. The USPS brokerage is only $5 or so.

Goblin
01-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
best way to pay is via paypay, avoid money order/western union if i were you. Make sure the seller has good rating, and remeber to factor in the cost of Shipping and duty fee. Avoid UPS Gound at all cost.

PAYPAY!

made me laff. haha