PDA

View Full Version : Bit of a rant

pressure_ratio
12-04-2005, 02:31 PM
Man,the police in Calgary must be really hard up to meet quotas.I got pulled over lastnight,and the cop comes up to my car and tells me they pulled me over cause I have snow on my liscence plate.Okay,fine I can understand that it needs to be clearly showing.
I give them my liscence,registration,etc.They go check me out, and then come back 10 minutes later and give me a ticket for $115. Not clearly dispaying my plate.She tell me that these's no snow anywhere else on my car but the plate!

Yeah,I put it there!Come on the snow blows off the roads and sticks on the back of the car,it is winter after all!

I can see a warning or somthing,let me know,whatever but a ticket? :bullshit:
What a complete waste of time!Maybe they should worry about the car/house being broken into down the street,the reckless drivers in this city and a little less time metting quotas and pulling me over and giving bullshit tickets.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-04-2005, 02:38 PM
So there was only snow on your license plate and nowhere else, what were they supposed to think? It probably looked like you'd put it on there to foil photo radar, and it's not like they can administer a lie detector on the spot. :dunno:

shakalaka
12-04-2005, 02:40 PM
I do understand what you mean. But it is an offence to have your liscence plate hidden with anything, and you are SUPPOSED to keep it clean at all times. I also understand that some of the nicer cops might have let you off without any fine, but just a warning, but that was on their discretion. The cop might have had a bad day or something, with all the shit that happens. Cant really put all the blame on them now. You might want to try and fight it, the cop might just not show up if she feels bad later on. But either way sorry to hear that man.

sgouki
12-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Omg that sucks man
O man just reading that makes me mad
This quota thing is truly dumb and because of it i don't think they will be giving warnings
I'm scared to go over 5 km/hr on the limit and now i gotta make sure my plate has no snow?

:bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:

7thgenvic
12-04-2005, 02:41 PM
thats some bullshit!

barbarian
12-04-2005, 02:48 PM
I've seen lots of people with snow nowhere but their plate. The obvious thing that happens here is a "f*uck the police" moment when you're brushing your car off. Just take the extra brush stroke and remove all the snow, to avoid tickets. Snow doesn't just collect on your plant while you're drive, unless you have some sort of major dead spot as far as air flow goes there.

pressure_ratio
12-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
So there was only snow on your license plate and nowhere else, what were they supposed to think? It probably looked like you'd put it on there to foil photo radar, and it's not like they can administer a lie detector on the spot. :dunno:

It wasn't big clumps of snow.This is on my Talon with a flat back,the snow swirls off the back of the car and sticks to the tail lights and license plate.

Like I said.I can understand them pulling me over to check me out.I have no problems with that.

I wasn't rude to the cop at all either,we were even joking a bit about my windows being frozen.
The thing that really got me is that after I parked we were walking through a parking lot and a lot of cars had the plate half covered in snow.

Gurpy
12-04-2005, 03:04 PM
All together we've been pulled over like 4 times (different people, same family/house) doing a LEGAL u-turn, when the cops say it was illegal. Then when you get pissed off since this happens so much they're like 'we have the right to pull you over at any time' I know you have the right to pull me over but why the fuck can't you do it for a real reason instead of making up BS tickets.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by pressure_ratio

It wasn't big clumps of snow.This is on my Talon with a flat back,the snow swirls off the back of the car and sticks to the tail lights and license plate

Hmm, not much you can do about that, short of inventing a heated license plate. It should be relatively easy to fight, I sincerely doubt the officer would show up to court over an obstructed license plate ticket.

3G
12-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Sorry to hear that man, i got pulled over 2 weeks ago cuz my plate was bent hahaha the cop was nice and let me off with a warning

Team Emperor
12-04-2005, 05:40 PM
that is some :bullshit:
if you fight it good luck!

tulit
12-04-2005, 05:51 PM
I got one just like that last winter. Except for it was when all the snow was melting. My car and my plate were dirty from the black slush all over the roads.

It wasn't even impossible to see the plate, just a bit dirty.

I was pissed off too but couldn't be bothered to fight it.

Stupid cops.

FiveFreshFish
12-04-2005, 06:08 PM
They should ticket the idiots who don't clear off their back windows.

Seanith
12-05-2005, 12:20 AM
Thats pretty rediculous. Numerous times when the weather is bad by the time I get home I notice the whole rear end of my car is covered with snow from driving. I would be livid if i got a ticket under those circumstances.

Raz2
12-05-2005, 12:23 AM
I saw a police car yesterday with a covered in snow license plate and a non working brake light (right hand side). I really wanted to pull him over and ticket him :)

- Rasmus

thinmyster
12-05-2005, 12:30 AM
so you miss a day of work to fight a 100 dollar ticket and in the end you just lose more money/time/effort... just pay the ticket

unless of course you can do it on your brake at work like m3h and get paid to be there :bigpimp: :bigpimp:

asifka
12-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by thinmyster
so you miss a day of work to fight a 100 dollar ticket and in the end you just lose more money/time/effort... just pay the ticket

seriously, not everybody make $50/hr.:banghead:

SilverBoost
12-05-2005, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
They should ticket the idiots who don't clear off their back windows.

Yeah but they can still give you photo radar tickets with your windows not cleaned as long as your plate. Maybe they're hoping if you don't clean your windows you'll crash into someone and then they can write you a ticket for negligence.

And I don't know how anyone here can justify this because everyone else here would be bitching if they got one.... You can tell if someone actually piled up snow there vs it forming there. I'm a lot more concerned with cleaning off the windows and making sure i can see and i gotta say that cleaning off the plate at 20 below some mornings may not come to mind as much as seeing the road. This cop is a being a dick and I hope that giving out a fine like that is fullfilling every dream they had of making a difference in crime in this city. A warning would have been more than enough, but now they have one more person who thinks that all they give a shit about is making another dollar to throw in the pot instead of actually making stops that make a difference.

This law enforcement in this city is fucked. Flame away.

Raz2
12-05-2005, 01:24 AM
I agree. Oh, and I NEVER brush any snow off my car, in the hopes that my license plate stays covered up.

- Rasmus

pressure_ratio
12-05-2005, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by thinmyster

unless of course you can do it on your brake at work like m3h and get paid to be there :bigpimp: :bigpimp:

Luckily I work in the eves so I'm probably going to fight this and won't have to miss any work.Thats the next thing,me being there wasting the courts time and taxpayers money to fight a dumb ticket.

Originally posted by SilverBoost

This cop is a being a dick and I hope that giving out a fine like that is fullfilling every dream they had of making a difference in crime in this city. A warning would have been more than enough, but now they have one more person who thinks that all they give a shit about is making another dollar to throw in the pot instead of actually making stops that make a difference.

This law enforcement in this city is fucked. Flame away.

My thoughts exactly.She wasted my time,her time and made no difference whatsoever.Except to put a few bucks into the CPS budget that probably wont even happen when I take it to court.

Goblin
12-05-2005, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

common beseker, its like you love the cops. Your last few posts have irritated me.

A liar detector test is NOT submissible in court.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-05-2005, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Goblin

common beseker, its like you love the cops. Your last few posts have irritated me.

A liar detector test is NOT submissible in court.

Ya don't say. It was figure of speech.

And I'm somewhat less than sorry if my posts "irritated" you. I don't "love" cops, but I do have a healthy respect for doing an arguably tough job. Try to look at it from their point of view - a guy driving a sports car with no snow anywhere but on his license plate. It probably looked like he was trying to cover his plate in case of photo radar, so they gave him a ticket. There's no way for them to prove whether he did or not (obviously), which is why they assume the worst.

If you'll read my second post in this thread, I advised him to fight the ticket, as a police officer would most likely not show up to court if they weren't absolutely certain he's packed snow onto his plate.

Zero102
12-05-2005, 09:22 AM
Everybody here is overlooking the original purpose of this ticket.
A lot of people don't brush their plates off. There are a lot of hit and runs in this city. So, covered plates + hit and runs = trouble.
It's not just for their taxation (i.e. photo radar), but more for the people than anything.

Keep your plate clear, and Rasmus, brush your car off. I hate those idiots who make the road a snow storm because they can't be bothered to brush the snow off of their car.

?????
12-05-2005, 09:24 AM
She tell me that these's no snow anywhere else on my car but the plate!

Yeah,I put it there!Come on the snow blows off the roads and sticks on the back of the car,it is winter after all!

Well if you put it there you deserved the ticket.

heavyD
12-05-2005, 09:39 AM
That's really weak. I would take it to court. At the very worst you will get a reduction of the fine. Unfortunately crime prevention and citizen safety in this city has taken a back seat to income generation off of petty fines.:thumbsdow

ricefarmer
12-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Well if you put it there you deserved the ticket.

:rofl: now you're just manipulating his words

?????
12-05-2005, 10:06 AM
:D

Well to make him feel better a couple years ago i got a PARKING ticket for parking in a firelane that was $160. It was one of those wet snowstorms where the snow would stick on all the signs and there was a curb with more then 10 cars parked along it. How stupid could the parking guy be if there was more then 10 cars parked in a firelane? Obviously something was wrong. and to top it off i went to get something from my car as he was writing my ticket. Nothing i could do.

I even wrote to the CPA and didn't even get a response from them.

SilverBoost
12-05-2005, 12:01 PM
I just have to add this, because I'm bored mostly, but what the hell....

I don't think anybody here would argue that being a cop is tough job. I know it is. My father was a cop. And I also see the validity in having a plate showing because of hit and runs or some other moving violation that a citizen might want to report, however, is there any reason why this cop couldn't just pass out a warning? No. I mean if this guy was stopped for this more than once I could see it, but getting a $115 fine over something that's a simple oversight, c'mon. Not to mention that I see abuot 10 POS cars a day running around this city with rusted or busted up plates that are also hard to read if not illegible. And I'm not going to pick on the bikers here because I would do the same, but I see motorcycles running around all summer with their plates tucked up under the rear fender, where you have a pretty hard time seeing it.

I think the bigger issue here is that there are some many drivers in Calgary that have no business being on the road that aren't getting pulled over, and yet here's a guy getting fined because of a little snow on his plate, driving perfectly within the law otherwise.

If people here havn't realized this yet, the traffic patrols here are more interested in making a buck than they are abuot making the roads not only safer, but keeping traffic flowing better. Especially with the way the population is increasing on a weekly basis here in Calgary.

I want to see someone getting pulled over on the deerfoot for driving 70 in a 100 in the left lane. They hold up the flwo of traffic, cause other drivers to have to switch lanes continuously to get around them etc etc... But will you ever see a fine like that? Nope. What about people who never signal, or tailgate, or even worse now at this time of year, are the people driving around with summer tires still on their car just waiting to mow down some kid at a crosswalk or something.

I've said it before and will say it again, the priorities of the law enforcement in this city are ass-backwards and the way this city is growing their going to have to figure it out sooner than later.

2 cents. Keep the change.

Nix87
12-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by SilverBoost
I just have to add this, because I'm bored mostly, but what the hell....

I don't think anybody here would argue that being a cop is tough job. I know it is. My father was a cop. And I also see the validity in having a plate showing because of hit and runs or some other moving violation that a citizen might want to report, however, is there any reason why this cop couldn't just pass out a warning? No. I mean if this guy was stopped for this more than once I could see it, but getting a $115 fine over something that's a simple oversight, c'mon. Not to mention that I see abuot 10 POS cars a day running around this city with rusted or busted up plates that are also hard to read if not illegible. And I'm not going to pick on the bikers here because I would do the same, but I see motorcycles running around all summer with their plates tucked up under the rear fender, where you have a pretty hard time seeing it.

I think the bigger issue here is that there are some many drivers in Calgary that have no business being on the road that aren't getting pulled over, and yet here's a guy getting fined because of a little snow on his plate, driving perfectly within the law otherwise.

If people here havn't realized this yet, the traffic patrols here are more interested in making a buck than they are abuot making the roads not only safer, but keeping traffic flowing better. Especially with the way the population is increasing on a weekly basis here in Calgary.

I want to see someone getting pulled over on the deerfoot for driving 70 in a 100 in the left lane. They hold up the flwo of traffic, cause other drivers to have to switch lanes continuously to get around them etc etc... But will you ever see a fine like that? Nope. What about people who never signal, or tailgate, or even worse now at this time of year, are the people driving around with summer tires still on their car just waiting to mow down some kid at a crosswalk or something.

I've said it before and will say it again, the priorities of the law enforcement in this city are ass-backwards and the way this city is growing their going to have to figure it out sooner than later.

2 cents. Keep the change.

I would have to agree entirely with that statement, a simple warning would have been more than enough for him to realize his wrong doing, instead we have yet another driver left with a sour taste in his mouth and pondering the priorities of the police service.

cityhunter2501
12-05-2005, 12:59 PM
is $115 the minimum they can fine nowadays?:dunno:

Raz2
12-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
Keep your plate clear, and Rasmus, brush your car off. I hate those idiots who make the road a snow storm because they can't be bothered to brush the snow off of their car.

Never! *shovels more snow onto car*

My car is only a snow storm for the first like 30 seconds of driving, the rest stays on pretty well, my car is an aerodynamic implausibility, so pretty much no air ever gets "swooped" :rofl:

- Rasmus

CryoCarnage
12-05-2005, 02:38 PM
umm fight that stupid shit. if you wanted to cover it you could buy some of that clear reflector thing for flashes.

Raz2
12-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage
umm fight that stupid shit. if you wanted to cover it you could buy some of that clear reflector thing for flashes.

and get even more tickets? :rolleyes:

Zero102
12-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Never! *shovels more snow onto car*

My car is only a snow storm for the first like 30 seconds of driving, the rest stays on pretty well, my car is an aerodynamic implausibility, so pretty much no air ever gets "swooped"

- Rasmus

An aerodynamic implausibility?... So, it's implausible that it has any aerodynamic properties at all? Fascinating, since that violates some fundamental laws of both fluid dynamics, and other associated branches of physics....
Anyhoo, there ARE fines for not brushing the snow off your car, and they exist for a good reason. Seriously bud, brush your car off.

Raz2
12-06-2005, 04:51 PM
NEVER!

*drives car into igloo*

- Rasmus :D

pressure_ratio
12-07-2005, 03:12 AM
Everybody here is overlooking the original purpose of this ticket.
A lot of people don't brush their plates off. There are a lot of hit and runs in this city. So, covered plates + hit and runs = trouble.
It's not just for their taxation (i.e. photo radar), but more for the people than anything.

An aerodynamic implausibility?... So, it's implausible that it has any aerodynamic properties at all? Fascinating, since that violates some fundamental laws of both fluid dynamics, and other associated branches of physics....
Anyhoo, there ARE fines for not brushing the snow off your car, and they exist for a good reason. Seriously bud, brush your car off.

Okay hang on a second here.There is a difference between what looks like snow that just wasn't brushed off and snow that has accumulated on a car from driving down the road.
Haven't you ever noticed the snow that gathers on the back of a semi driving down the road in snowy conditions?
This isn't like on a pickup truck that has the plate behind the trailer hitch and I just"forgot" to brush it off.
I'm not trying to hate on cops but come on,get your priorities strait.There's far greater hazards on the road than a car with it's plate not visible.

Zero102
12-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Okay, there is a difference in what looks like snow that wasn't brushed off, and what accumulated from driving....
Let me see, both obscure your plate, both make it impossible to read if you had just hit somebody and were running....
Nope, I don't see a difference.

Althought I do agree there are far greater priorities, like people who were just involved in a hit and run, and can't identify the other driver because they couldn't read their plate.... oh wait, that's what we're argueing over!
This has the potential to go from a minor ticket to a big problem if there is a collision involved, which is why they ticketed for it.

Yes a warning would have sufficed, and I'll bet next time he will clear his plate each time he stops, which is what the law requires.
Of course they can't expect you to stop every 30 minutes on the highway and check it, but at the same time, if you're cruising around town, it won't get that much on it in one trip.

Moonracer
12-07-2005, 09:57 AM
My guess is they saw a talon with a young lookin dude driving it. And looked for a reason for pulling you over so they could check you out. Then if you give them any sort of attitude you will certainly get a ticket, they're all about attitude and integrity...:rofl:

Raz2
12-07-2005, 11:55 AM
my license plate is showing, think I'll back into some snow banks :)

- Rasmus

5hift
12-07-2005, 12:06 PM
It honestly depends on the situation, and I think the problem CPS has is knowing when someone actually deserves a ticket, and when they should let it go.

When I was going to work yesterday, there was a lady who obviously parks outside and obvously did not give her car time to warm up and just ran inside of it, started and it took off. Shes going down bow trail in the middle of two lanes going 30 kms a hr cus all her windows are fogged and the whole back of her car is covered in snow.

These are the kind of ppl that need to be pulled over, not just some young guy in a Talon with a bit of snow on his plates.

SOAB
12-07-2005, 01:12 PM
it was a lady cop. thats why you got a ticket. they all have something to prove and will never give out warnings.

loweg
12-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Last winter I got pulled over on my way home from work at around 9 pm for my license plate being covered...took the license registration, brushed off the plate, told me that my license plate, or what he could see of it came up as a ford windstar or sh!t like that. Anyways, came back to the car after I was sitting there for like 5 mins and dropped the license adn registration on my lap and said that it was my lucky day he was gonna let it slide...

Best part of it all is that where he pulled me over was the merge from 14th st sw to Southland Drive and being in a slammed eg civic I got stuck. It was like -25 and the bastard and his partner had topush me out of the snow! You better believe I was spinning the tires. It worked out to be an interesting story.

loweg

ps just so you know about low eg civics, they are horrible for getting snow covering the plate in the winter.

viffer
12-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by SOAB
it was a lady cop. thats why you got a ticket. they all have something to prove and will never give out warnings.
you're just saying that cuz everytime you get pulled over by a lady cop you stare at her boobies and she gets pissed at you :rofl:

HillBilly
12-07-2005, 06:45 PM
I can see a warning or somthing,let me know,whatever but a ticket?

warnings do nothing... tickets make you think next time

pressure_ratio
12-09-2005, 04:33 AM
Okay, there is a difference in what looks like snow that wasn't brushed off, and what accumulated from driving....
Let me see, both obscure your plate, both make it impossible to read if you had just hit somebody and were running....
Nope, I don't see a difference.

Althought I do agree there are far greater priorities, like people who were just involved in a hit and run, and can't identify the other driver because they couldn't read their plate.... oh wait, that's what we're argueing over!
This has the potential to go from a minor ticket to a big problem if there is a collision involved, which is why they ticketed for it.

Yes a warning would have sufficed, and I'll bet next time he will clear his plate each time he stops, which is what the law requires.
Of course they can't expect you to stop every 30 minutes on the highway and check it, but at the same time, if you're cruising around town, it won't get that much on it in one trip.

What if,what if,what if...Theres so many senarios that "could happen"
What if I had just come in from say Banff and had no idea that there was snow on the back of my car?

It seems that you're answer to everything is to give them a fine,that'll teach em.I'm sure you're a perfect driver who spot checks your car, & does awalk around it everytime before you go drive somewhere,check your tire pressures,tail lights,brake lights. Never make a mistake,have a bad day always drive 3 seconds behind the next car doing 5 kph under the limit.
:rolleyes: