PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Honda Civic poor idle

craigcd
12-04-2005, 04:54 PM
I am having a weird problem with my GF's car. Its a 2000 civic hatchback. When coming to an intersection or a stop the RPM's are diving to well below 500 RPMS. It alsmost stalls and sometimes does. Does any one have an ideas what this could be? The engine isnt coming or anything. I dont think it can be to major as it only has 80 000Kms on it.

Any suggestions?

Craig

Raz2
12-04-2005, 05:04 PM
is it an automatic?

Check for vacuum leaks.

- Rasmus

barbarian
12-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Can't there sometimes be engine codes that don't activate the light but that are considered "minor" enough that they will sit in memory? You can probably retreive those.

Weapon_R
12-04-2005, 05:36 PM
^ no.

Anyways, my bet is a weak alternator. Mine is on its way out too. Do you notice a drop in idle when you turn your stereo head unit on? Or the rear defroster?

djayz
12-04-2005, 05:40 PM
^^
that affects almost any civic in the winter.
its just like putting your window up when its all the way up cuz it draws so much current

check your batter maybe or replace your pcv valve.

Weapon_R
12-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Djayz, do your lights dim in the winter too? I don't think thats normal.

craigcd
12-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Yaa i was thinking alternator, seems way to early for that though. Also now that i think about it, it might be happening when the defroster is on.... i dont think the stereo will affect it because its the basic stock one. I will test it out tonight.

If it was the alternator wouldnt it being causeing other problems? The battery would slowly die and flash the bettery light wouldnt it???

Thanks for the suggestions Wespon R:dunno:

djayz
12-04-2005, 07:10 PM
yah lights dim in the winter more...theres more load on the engine in winter cuz the batter pumps out less current when its cold so the engine has to work harder to make the alternator go

craigcd
12-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Yaa so i just drove the car and it didnt seem to make any difference with defog on/off. Stereo on/off. I have no idea what it is. It would be nice if it was throwing out a code.

djayz
12-04-2005, 07:55 PM
hmmm check the air intake filter. if electronics dont make a difference than it has noting to do with battery/alternator its something thats part of the engine

so check air filter...if dirty replace it. also check the spark plugs...
maybe it just needs a simple tuneup to have it running good again

craigcd
12-04-2005, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions djayz, i will post up my results.