PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if steering column bent?

B20EF
12-04-2005, 10:18 PM
I just bought a theft recovery car and the igniton is completely destroyed, but I dont know how to tell if the steering column needs replacing. It drives fine, there doesn't appear to be any play in the wheel or extreme alignment problems. When you look at the blinker knob it's higher than it should be and the windsheild washer knob is lower than it should be. Honda ballparked the replacement to be $1500 for steering column, ignition replacement. Don't want to pay it if I don't have to. Thanks

GoChris
12-04-2005, 11:40 PM
exact same thing with my car. I bought a steering column for about $75 bucks, hopefully thats all I have to replace. $1500 is retarded. Its only about $300 for an entire new lockset if you needed that. with mine the lock cylinder is fine.

B20EF
12-05-2005, 12:19 AM
wow, the guy at honda told me the steering column was an $800 part. I'm glad to here you got it for so cheap, hopefully I can too, It shouldn't be to hard to install on my own-hopefully.

GoChris
12-05-2005, 11:17 AM
just grab a used steering column, should be pretty easy to find.

$800! :eek:

SilverBoost
12-05-2005, 12:26 PM
I'd think you'd know if anything was cockeyed. It just wouldn't feel right. Steering is one of those things that gives you pretty accurate feedback wen something isn't right. Take it on the highway and see how it feels going in a long straight line with micro adjustments.

Is it common to have the column bent anyhow when they smash it like that? I thought it was mostly cosmetic damage when they do that.