PDA

View Full Version : Report: Ford may sell Jaguar to Renault

nick1111
12-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Ford may have refused to sell its profitable Volvo unit to Renault, but a new report suggests that the company is now considering selling its struggling Jaguar division to the French automaker. Renault, which owns Nissan, is reportedly looking to acquire an upscale European brand to increases its competitiveness in the luxury segment. The report, published in the December issue of French magazine L’Expansion, refers to Jaguar acquisition plan as Renault/Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn’s “secret plan.” In October, we reported that Renault had not given up on plans to acquire a premium marque. Renault is said to have approached Ford with an offer to buy Volvo, but Ford reportedly rejected that offer. While Volvo has been largely profitable for Ford, Jaguar has been plagued by continual loses since Ford acquired the brand in 1989. Recently, Ford CEO Bill Ford said the company’s Premier Automotive Group — which consists of Volvo, Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Land Rover — would be profitable in 2006.

(source: http://www.leftlanenews.com/?p=829)

No more info so far. What do you think though?

BerserkerCatSplat
12-05-2005, 03:54 PM
With the new XK series due to go to market soon, I doubt Ford will seriously consider selling Jag until they determine whether it will be a success or not.

benyl
12-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Jag needs a serious turn around like Ford does.

The last XJ looked the same as the previous version even though it was different underneath. The X-type is old. The S-type is old too. There is a new S-type coming soon, but I doubt it will be enough.

shakalaka
12-05-2005, 03:59 PM
It might not be doing too well in Canada or America. But here in Scotland, I see tons of Jags everywhere. People here rather seem to like them a lot then us North Americans. Same with bimmers but thats just because they are not that expensive here.