PDA

View Full Version : Wtf Abs!!!

Bill Cosby
12-05-2005, 04:32 PM
what exactly is ABS for?..All i know is lately its been pissing me off, if im trying to come to a stop i skid and the brake feels like its locked..what is its purpose?

dont flame me i go the speed limit :rolleyes:

b_t
12-05-2005, 04:34 PM
anti-lock brakes? its so your vehicle tracks relatively straight when you've been a dumbass and pushed the brakes too hard. without ABS, you will stop quite fast still but your car will slide all over the place and ignore all steering input.

viffer
12-05-2005, 04:35 PM
try this

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/anti-lock-brake.htm

or maybe this

http://www.fuckinggoogleit.com

Foz
12-05-2005, 04:41 PM
ABS :thumbsdow in winter.

FatboyTheHungry
12-05-2005, 04:45 PM
ABS just keeps you from locking your wheels so you don't lose steering control...

Bill Cosby
12-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Foz

:werd:

bspot
12-05-2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Foz

??

I like being able to slam on my brakes and come to a stop marginally further than if I had perfectly threshold braked with no risk of screwing it up.

Bill Cosby
12-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by bspot

??

I like being able to slam on my brakes and come to a stop marginally further than if I had perfectly threshold braked with no risk of screwing it up.

you also enjoy being donkey punched

D. Dub
12-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by FatboyTheHungry
ABS just keeps you from locking your wheels so you don't lose steering control...

exactly..

ABS is great in the winter because you can slow down AND effectively turn/steer at THE SAME TIME!!!!!

b_t
12-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub

exactly..

ABS is great in the winter because you can slow down AND effectively turn/steer at THE SAME TIME!!!!!

Honestly I think ABS is still completely worthless. It's a compromise! Its like having a governmental committee in your engine bay, who decide that it will reduce braking performance monumentally with the trade off being able to hit something else at a higher rate of speed then you would of had you just stopped without ABS in a straight line.

I can recall a study that showed that ABS did hardly anything to reduce collisions over the beginning of its widespread use in the early 1990s. It is just something to pad the options sheet.

D. Dub
12-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by b_t

Honestly I think ABS is still completely worthless. It's a compromise! Its like having a governmental committee in your engine bay, who decide that it will reduce braking performance monumentally with the trade off being able to hit something else at a higher rate of speed then you would of had you just stopped without ABS in a straight line.

I can recall a study that showed that ABS did hardly anything to reduce collisions over the beginning of its widespread use in the early 1990s. It is just something to pad the options sheet.

you can still threshold brake with ABS...it just give you another option in a crisis.

Foz
12-05-2005, 06:37 PM
ABS vs No ABS Nasioc thread.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895243&highlight=abs+winter

bmeier
12-05-2005, 06:42 PM
ABS is only a good thing, it is only active when you are sliding anyways. If you threshold brake like you should the ABS will not kick in at all...

ABS is a safety feature for the unexpected. Personally none of my cars have ABS but it definately is helpful for emergency manuevers when the road is very slick....

the reason ABS was invented because not everyone is a perfect driver. Most people tend to panic and slam on there brakes causing the car to go into a skid and have no steering control whatsoever. ABS allows for people to slam the brake down and not have to worry about skidding out of control it still allows you to have steering input because you dont completely lock the wheels up;

bart
12-05-2005, 06:47 PM
i'm pretty sure a car with abs will stop faster then one without it.

D. Dub
12-05-2005, 06:50 PM
this is as an argument as old as god...

A good driver with lots of experience can stop faster then ABS with proper threshold braking in most conditions, especially in dry conditions.

But in wet and icy conditions NO-ONE can modulate the brakes as well as ABS can to allow steering and braking at the same time, especially on ice...this has been proven over and over again.

D. Dub
12-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by bmeier
ABS is only a good thing, it is only active when you are sliding anyways. If you threshold brake like you should the ABS will not kick in at all...

ABS is a safety feature for the unexpected. Personally none of my cars have ABS but it definately is helpful for emergency manuevers when the road is very slick....

the reason ABS was invented because not everyone is a perfect driver. Most people tend to panic and slam on there brakes causing the car to go into a skid and have no steering control whatsoever. ABS allows for people to slam the brake down and not have to worry about skidding out of control it still allows you to have steering input because you dont completely lock the wheels up;

bingo!! give this man a cigar!!! :thumbsup:

90Tegra
12-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Foz

lmao i think the whole point of abs is the advantage it gives u in winter.:drama:

Foz
12-05-2005, 06:54 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=1314073#post1314073

bmeier
12-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by bart
i'm pretty sure a car with abs will stop faster then one without it.

it all depends on how you are stopping....

Threshold braking on any car whether or not it has ABS is the fastest way to stop the vehicle.

That being said alot of poeple cant threshold brake so they just slam the brakes on causing the wheels to lock up. ABS prevents wheel lock up so really saying one stops faster than the other is only half correct.

in the event that you panic and slam on the brakes ABS should stop faster and be able to retain control of the vehicle where as without ABS you just slide and have no control of where the vehicle is going...

the whole point of abs is to maintain vehicle control...

D. Dub
12-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by b_t

thats because people didn't know how to use it too avoid collisions when it was new. As with any new technology there is a learning curve.

In a crisis with ABS you have to stand on the brakes and continue to steer which was a new way to drive when people were used to threshold braking.

D. Dub
12-05-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by bmeier

it all depends on how you are stopping....

Threshold braking on any car whether or not it has ABS is the fastest way to stop the vehicle.

That being said alot of poeple cant threshold brake so they just slam the brakes on causing the wheels to lock up. ABS prevents wheel lock up so really saying one stops faster than the other is only half correct.

in the event that you panic and slam on the brakes ABS should stop faster and be able to retain control of the vehicle where as without ABS you just slide and have no control of where the vehicle is going...

the whole point of abs is to maintain vehicle control...

lotsa smart people on the forum today :thumbsup:

seer_claw
12-05-2005, 08:08 PM
ABS was first designed on F1 cars. If they are using it on those cars I'm pretty sure that its not an overly bad thing to have on our cars. :rolleyes:

lastprodigy
12-05-2005, 08:34 PM
For MOST people (avg. drivers) ABS is much better to have then not. On a side note, Bill Cosby obviously doesnt knw what abs is.