PDA

View Full Version : Ride got impounded

LudeRoca
12-05-2005, 10:50 PM
So i guess i have been driving around with expired registration. I got pulled over on shagannapi and crowchild. I thought i was gettin pulled over for my tint but turns out the registration was done. Anyways i got a ticket for no registation. If i get my registration renewed tomorrow can i take the ticket to cournt and fight it or am i fucked. and does anybody know how much its gonna cost me to get my ride out tomorrow. it got impounded today.

civicrider
12-05-2005, 10:54 PM
bout $125 for the impound, and the ticket is $250 isnt it?

kenny
12-05-2005, 10:56 PM
$63 - CPS Seizure
$7.50 admin fee
+
$10 / day storage at lot

on top of your ticket of course.

Can you fight a seatbelt ticket by buckling up the next day? or can you fight a speeding ticket by driving the speed limit the day after? :D

lastprodigy
12-05-2005, 10:57 PM
its your own fault, so go get your car out asap before the charges rack up and dont try to weasel your way out of the charges

SilverBoost
12-05-2005, 11:26 PM
Impounded? Did you have any outstanding tickets? I had my registration run out years ago and it slipped my mind, but my car certainly didn't get impounded.

Raz2
12-05-2005, 11:33 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

tictactoe2004
12-06-2005, 12:09 AM
i've been pulled over with no registration many times but never got impounded... well, cept for the time i didnt realise that I had over 500 in unpaid tickets (which meant my licence was suspended) on top of expired registration... yeah, that was a bad night... lost my car for 30 days and ended up spending about 1100 for tickets and fees and shit :) it was so much fun, thank god I have two cars.

anyways your not gonna get off the ticket if you go get registration :)

edit: other than that one time I never got impounded for no registration though :) just tickets

talon31
12-06-2005, 02:10 AM
i got caught without reg once and they impounded me too.... they wont release the car until you get your registration renewed on top of paying all the fees..... it sucks :banghead:

gen2teggy
12-06-2005, 02:32 AM
same happend too me, but they were nice and didint impound my car

Das_Amaretto
12-06-2005, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004
i've been pulled over with no registration many times but never got impounded... well, cept for the time i didnt realise that I had over 500 in unpaid tickets (which meant my licence was suspended) on top of expired registration... yeah, that was a bad night... lost my car for 30 days and ended up spending about 1100 for tickets and fees and shit :) it was so much fun, thank god I have two cars.

anyways your not gonna get off the ticket if you go get registration :)

edit: other than that one time I never got impounded for no registration though :) just tickets

DUDE! that EXACT same thing happened to me too! except mine was for having 5 unpaid tickets. ($57 each, increased to $77 with late fee, making $385 total.) Bullshit "5 tickets or $500, whichever comes first". All of the tix were for not having papers too... and I still don't have a single moving violation or demerit, yet i've been suspended. total crap. cost me well over a grand too since they had my car for 30 days

SilverBoost
12-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Wow, the laws in this province are starting to sound ridiculous.... from the tailpipe too large tickets, to the million and 2 photo radar locations, to people getting massive fines for snow on their plate, to this impound thing for registration with no other fines pending.....

so how long before this province is is run by the police instead of government?

JeremyD
12-06-2005, 11:06 AM
Did you have valid insurance? or had it expired as well? That is an instant trip to the impound lot.

2000_SI
12-06-2005, 11:10 AM
I cant believe you people that are bitching about being punished for driving without registration.

You have a bunch of unpaid tickets AND no registraition, and the cops impounded your car? :cry:

The ONLY person at fault for your problems is yourself.

benyl
12-06-2005, 11:20 AM
hmm, the cop must not have liked you. I know a few people who got busted for forgetting to register their car. They were let go wit a ticket.

LudeRoca
12-06-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by 2000_SI
I cant believe you people that are bitching about being punished for driving without registration.

You have a bunch of unpaid tickets AND no registraition, and the cops impounded your car? :cry:

The ONLY person at fault for your problems is yourself.

buddy you need to chill. No one here is complaining. they are just discusing. I know i fucked up and i gotta pay the consequences. But i know if you go to court and atleast show up they will cut you some slack.

lint
12-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by LudeRoca

buddy you need to chill. No one here is complaining. they are just discusing. I know i fucked up and i gotta pay the consequences. But i know if you go to court and atleast show up they will cut you some slack.

This happened to me a couple of months ago. Completely slipped my mind, drove around for 4 months without registration. Cop was nice though, gave me a ticket onlv instead of towing my car. Went down and talked to a JP and she changed the ticket to failure to produce instead of operating without registration.

since you were towed though, I don't think they will cut any slack for the towing fees.

LudeRoca
12-06-2005, 12:38 PM
no i gotta pay the towing fees and the impound fees thats a given. but on the $230 ticket they might just reduce it a lil.

gp36912
12-06-2005, 12:40 PM
last time my registration expired, 3 days after it expired cop pulled me over for it, but just let me go with a warning cuz it was just 3 days and i told him i was just heading out to get it renewed :P

FatboyTheHungry
12-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Self inflicted... Should have taken care of the registration long before it was out... :thumbsdow

retro-steve
12-06-2005, 12:48 PM
the closest i ever came was i got pulled over for a u-turn and they said my insurance was expired. my parents were on vacation and my dad is the one who handles the insurance so i knew we probably got the slips in the mail but he never told me about it.

so anyways cop threatens to tow me and asks "what are you going to do about it?" now i'm pulled over within eyesight of my house so i laugh and say "i'll have the papers before you can even get off the phone with the tow truck" i really don't think he was smart enough to read my address and put two and two together that i lived near there so he laughs and says "good luck, looks like you're getting impounded unless somehow you can get home without driving" i thought this was the funniest thing in the world so i got out, jogged the two blocks to my house, found the new papers and brought them back before he was finished writing the "driving without insurance" $2,000 fine.

now what was the best part about all this? in all his frustration he forgot to check the "offence notice" box on the u-turn ticket and i got it thrown out :D

but ya i always check my plates AND papers after this little incident.

sputnik
12-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Why are people clogging the court systems with this BS? Its like not paying your electricity bill and getting disconected, then you pay 3 days later and want a 3 day credit on your account to cover the time you went without power.

Please own up pay the FULL bill and leave the court system for the people who are actually innocent.

retro-steve
12-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Why are people clogging the court systems with this BS? Its like not paying your electricity bill and getting disconected, then you pay 3 days later and want a 3 day credit on your account to cover the time you went without power.

Please own up pay the FULL bill and leave the court system for the people who are actually innocent.

most every thing is settled by the crown in the initial hearing and never actually makes it to court. why should you just pay up when there's an 80% chance you can make your life a little easier?

SilverBoost
12-06-2005, 01:09 PM

Uhm, in case you haven't noticed, 99% of the court system is clogged up with Bullshit. If fact, the court system itself at times is bullshit.

If guilty people can go to court and get off with murder, certainly people are entitled to fight a freakin moving violation. Thats why it's there and thats why you have the option to fight it. :rolleyes:

Police
12-07-2005, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by SilverBoost

Uhm, in case you haven't noticed, 99% of the court system is clogged up with Bullshit. If fact, the court system itself at times is bullshit.

If guilty people can go to court and get off with murder, certainly people are entitled to fight a freakin moving violation. Thats why it's there and thats why you have the option to fight it. :rolleyes:

:werd:

Toma
12-07-2005, 01:02 AM
Also, cause the fucking crooks took what should be a warning, and made it into a ridiculous fine.

I fight EVRYTHING. Guilty or not (most time not, that is a seperate "police authority" problem).

My opinion on the "system"....

First time offence for ANTYHING reuslts in a warning, recorded on their system. If you do it again within a year, ticket.

Clean slate every year. PEople are not perfect, and the mind slips from time to time.....

Barlow
12-07-2005, 01:39 PM
This entire thread is horrid, i myself have got ticket, the cop did give me benefit of the doubt, i paid it and learned my lesson,

most should do the same

Thaco
12-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Toma
Also, cause the fucking crooks took what should be a warning, and made it into a ridiculous fine.

I fight EVRYTHING. Guilty or not (most time not, that is a seperate "police authority" problem).

My opinion on the "system"....

First time offence for ANTYHING reuslts in a warning, recorded on their system. If you do it again within a year, ticket.

Clean slate every year. PEople are not perfect, and the mind slips from time to time.....

tickets are a warning, demerits are a warning. they could ust take your license away if you'd like...

IMO they give too many chances there are way too many bad drivers out there that dont deserve the privledge of driving.

max_boost
12-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Registry sends you renewal papers when it is about to expire. Are you that busy that you can't get it done? Fine is a bit excessive anyhow considering you did have insurance coverage.

Das_Amaretto
You received 5 tickets for not having registration papers, didn't it clue in to get it done after the second one!??!:rofl: :nut:

FiveFreshFish
12-08-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Registry sends you renewal papers when it is about to expire. Are you that busy that you can't get it done?

:werd:
You can even renew online. Sticker arrives in the mail a few days later. What could be easier?

mx73someday
12-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Fines only affect the poor. Try paying off $200-300 at $8/hour, whereas some people make $100/hour, that's not really fair.

I think the whole idea of carrying around registration and insurance papers is ridiculous, I'm sure they could make an alternative.

sputnik
12-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by mx73someday
Fines only affect the poor. Try paying off $200-300 at $8/hour, whereas some people make $100/hour, that's not really fair.

I think the whole idea of carrying around registration and insurance papers is ridiculous, I'm sure they could make an alternative.

Fines affect the stupid. Here are some tips.

- Speeding tickets can be avoided by driving the speed limit.
- Parking tickets can be avoided by plugging the meters on time.
- Window tint, exaust and other modifcation tickets are a non-issue because you are too poor to afford mods anyways (since you cant afford the ticket).
- Your car is equipped with a glovebox. It is a handy place to store your registration and insurance.

mx73someday
12-08-2005, 08:38 PM

Fines affect the stupid. Here are some tips.

- Speeding tickets can be avoided by driving the speed limit.
- Parking tickets can be avoided by plugging the meters on time.
- Window tint, exaust and other modifcation tickets are a non-issue because you are too poor to afford mods anyways (since you cant afford the ticket).
- Your car is equipped with a glovebox. It is a handy place to store your registration and insurance.

Give me a break, fines affect everyone.

Ever wander above the speed limit by accident? This is not stupid, it happens to everyone, and people get nailed for it. If you're making a small income, a $200-300 ticket can be devastating.

You should not leave your registration or insurance in your car in case someone breaks in and steals it. While you're at it, leave your garage door opener in there too, then they can drive to your house and steal all your stuff with your own car. It's pathetic that we have license plates, but still need proof of registration. The police have computers in their cars, can't they check?

FiveFreshFish
12-08-2005, 09:22 PM

Ever wander above the speed limit by accident? This is not stupid, it happens to everyone, and people get nailed for it. If you're making a small income, a $200-300 ticket can be devastating.
Life isn't fair. Poor folks have to watch their money more carefully in every aspect of life. Driving is one of them.

You should not leave your registration or insurance in your car in case someone breaks in and steals it. While you're at it, leave your garage door opener in there too, then they can drive to your house and steal all your stuff with your own car. It's pathetic that we have license plates, but still need proof of registration. The police have computers in their cars, can't they check?
Good advice. I keep my registration and insurance in my wallet. Garage door opener is a key fob that stays with me, and I electronically lock my overhead door at night.

barbarian
12-08-2005, 10:20 PM

$200-300 is a lot over the speed limit.

What's the big deal about someone stealing your car with insurance and registration? You report it stolen, and if they pass it off to some sucker pretending to be you, at least you get it back after the sucker tries to register it. If they get pulled over, the cops are going to run the plate anyways. Can you think of some other scenarios where it is bad to leave in the car?

FiveFreshFish
12-08-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by barbarian

$200-300 is a lot over the speed limit.

What's the big deal about someone stealing your car with insurance and registration? You report it stolen, and if they pass it off to some sucker pretending to be you, at least you get it back after the sucker tries to register it. If they get pulled over, the cops are going to run the plate anyways. Can you think of some other scenarios where it is bad to leave in the car?

Thief steals your car at the C-Train station. Finds the registration with your address and breaks into your house because he knows you're at work for the day. Or if you're lucky, he might just break into your garage with the opener to steal your tools.

Billet
12-08-2005, 10:41 PM
the latest from city hall...

write more tickets and make more money

RB25DET
12-08-2005, 11:04 PM
Personally, i fight every ticket i get, and i usually win. I realize its my own fault, but when it comes down to it, who the hell is gonna just bend over and take it when they can do something about it. BTW, i got a registration ticket and fought it and won in court. Give it a shot, the worst that can happen is they say no, and your almost guaranteed a reduction, in lethbridge courts anyway....:dunno: You guys may bitch at me for weaseling out of tickets, but i laugh at you for paying them....:thumbsup:

pressure_ratio
12-09-2005, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by retro-steve
the closest i ever came was i got pulled over for a u-turn and they said my insurance was expired. my parents were on vacation and my dad is the one who handles the insurance so i knew we probably got the slips in the mail but he never told me about it.
so anyways cop threatens to tow me and asks "what are you going to do about it?" now i'm pulled over within eyesight of my house so i laugh and say "i'll have the papers before you can even get off the phone with the tow truck" i really don't think he was smart enough to read my address and put two and two together that i lived near there so he laughs and says "good luck, looks like you're getting impounded unless somehow you can get home without driving" i thought this was the funniest thing in the world so i got out, jogged the two blocks to my house, found the new papers and brought them back before he was finished writing the "driving without insurance" $2,000 fine.

now what was the best part about all this? in all his frustration he forgot to check the "offence notice" box on the u-turn ticket and i got it thrown out :D

but ya i always check my plates AND papers after this little incident.

:rofl: Thats awesome!Rub it right into his face.I'm sorry flame away but so many cops are the biggest ego maniacs.
I lost so much respect for them after a friend got into a bad accident on his sport bike.The cop had the nerve to say to me"make sure you make it home with out crashing...Thanks like the whole incident wasn't devastating enough.

Originally posted by SilverBoost

:werd: Like in my my case it's no longer about "To serve and pretect"now it's more about"Go out there and make us a few bucks"

sputnik
12-09-2005, 08:11 AM

If you cant pay, dont play. If you would be that devastated with a $200-300 ticket you should be more careful while driving. Those people are also more careful when shopping and turning up the heat in their houses. Don't try to convince me that tickets shouldnt exist because a small percentage of the population would have trouble paying them.

My car wont start without the key (RFID pwns you!). So in my case they would have to break into my car, drag it in on a flatdeck (wont go into neutral without the key) and then rob my house by breaking a window or kicking in my front door.

Your logic and paranoia is retarded. If you are so worried find a hiding place in your car to store your registration.

googe
12-10-2005, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by pressure_ratio
:werd: Like in my my case it's no longer about "To serve and pretect"now it's more about"Go out there and make us a few bucks"

you mean, "to serve and collect" ;)

djayz
12-10-2005, 07:01 AM

If you cant pay, dont play. If you would be that devastated with a $200-300 ticket you should be more careful while driving. Those people are also more careful when shopping and turning up the heat in their houses.

Everyone makes mistake cops even make mistakes they are people. Theres a lot of tickets handed out that could easily be given off with a warning. Its just like a lottery to the police...like on deerfoot people are speeding every minute of the day on there doing 120...the cops will be sitting on deerfoot one day take a picture of every 1 out of 10 cars...thats just bullshit your doing what thousands of other people are doing and i bet you anything if those cops were driving in that traffic they would be doing 120 the same as anyone else. Another example of bullshit tickets is going downhill on steep hills like who the fucks going to keep hitting their brakes going down a hill just to make sure they arent going above 80 and for those people are go a few kms over cuz the hills to steep and they dont wantt o fuck their car up they get a ticket right at the bottom of the hill cuz the cops know people arent going to be wasting their brakes.

most tickets are just ways of making money...why dont cops patrol areas where there are bad drivers...like downtown at night....last night some stupid lady in a big white pickup truck was driving the wrong way on two of the one way streets...she almost nailed me turning on to 5th ave...running a red light going the wrong way on 2 different streets and driving well above the 50 speed limit. Traffic cops are bullshit i dont hate them but i believe that 90% of the tickets they hand out could easily be avoided if they would realize that people make mistakes and that cops do the same in those situations.

/end rant/

got_a_question
12-10-2005, 02:12 PM
In Alberta they should make your registration expire on your birthday like they do in Ontario....you're not going to forget your birthday are you?

kenny
12-10-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Das_Amaretto
DUDE! that EXACT same thing happened to me too! except mine was for having 5 unpaid tickets. ($57 each, increased to $77 with late fee, making $385 total.) Bullshit "5 tickets or $500, whichever comes first". All of the tix were for not having papers too... and I still don't have a single moving violation or demerit, yet i've been suspended. total crap. cost me well over a grand too since they had my car for 30 days

Good! At least the system got the money you owed by forcing you to pay to get your car back. How is it bullshit? I fail to see anything that is unjust, but would definitely like to hear your side of the story.

A lot of people are complaining that tickets are for revenue... so what? Would you rather have more taxes? less officers on the street so when someone is ass raping you no one responds? It takes money to police the city, and it has to come from somewhere.

Yes, humans make mistakes but that doesn't mean they should get off scott free. Having to pay a fine for not having up to date registration should hopefully remind you that next time that letter comes in the mail to renew your registration, to GO TO THE REGISTRY! haha. Tough concept.