PDA

View Full Version : RWD cars

gp36912
12-06-2005, 02:03 PM
anyone having a little trouble controlling your rwd car in the winter, for example, today, getting out of a parking lot, i was taking it nice and easy, but then as i turned out, my rear wheels hit a patch of ice and caused the engines to rev and the tires to spin out, luckily i got the car under control and managed to get away in perfect condition, but anyone got any tips to drive these rwd monsters :P

Ps, i am driving a 323i and its got about 180hpish (almost stock)

rc2002
12-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Your 323 is an RWD monster?!? I think a Mustang would be harder to drive in the winter, yet I don't consider them monsters.

As long as you're careful, I don't see RWD being much different from FWD in the witner.

benyl
12-06-2005, 02:13 PM
doesn't your car have DSC?

If not, get winter tires and you should be fine.

Xtrema
12-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Buy a set of good winter tires

retro-steve
12-06-2005, 02:16 PM
winter tires my friend...i was driving my mustang for the first two days of snow on my almost bald summer tires and i thought i was going to die. as soon as i put on my winters it made a world of difference.

oh and i see you have a 2000...might i suggest pushing that little traction control button? ;)

remember: you are not summer driving, ease up on the throttle and be careful around corners!!

benyl
12-06-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by retro-steve
oh and i see you have a 2000...might i suggest pushing that little traction control button? ;)

Traction control should be on by default if he has it. You push the button to turn it off.

retro-steve
12-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Traction control should be on by default if he has it. You push the button to turn it off.

if it's a 2000 it definately should have it...my bro's '99 328 had it and his new 325 has it

FiveFreshFish
12-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Get 4 snow tires, not just 2 for the back.

Das_Amaretto
12-06-2005, 02:28 PM
go studded tires! and you'll get around better than an SUV with all-seasons

DonJuan
12-06-2005, 03:38 PM
^^^ but the constant tapping when its not on snow will drive you and everyone around you insane! Oh wait you BMW is pretty quiet... so you'll just be driving everyone thatd driving beside you insane!

sputnik
12-06-2005, 03:51 PM
I have driven RWD GM cars and trucks for MANY winters and have never had any problems even with All Season Radials.

Sounds like you just dont know how to drive sensibly.

Hakkola
12-06-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan
^^^ but the constant tapping when its not on snow will drive you and everyone around you insane! Oh wait you BMW is pretty quiet... so you'll just be driving everyone thatd driving beside you insane!

I love the sound of my studded tires! It whirs, reminds me of a small airplane :D

They work so damn well.

Ichigo
12-06-2005, 04:38 PM
no problems here... adding winters is like driving on pavement..

... well sort of..

gp36912
12-07-2005, 01:17 PM
well ive got a different tranny in my car, and i do run snow tires, but all the roads right now are snowy, and it starts to slip ( its an auto ) so i have no clutch control at all, otherwise i would be fine, i can drive a front wheeldrive car on snow np, but thats if it had a standard tranny, i had to buy a automatic so my sister could drive something when she got her full license(she can't drive standard) and an automatic is dreadful for winter with a rwd studless winters

gp36912
12-07-2005, 01:21 PM
and the way my car is running right now for winter is that the engine has no reponse till i open up the throttle abit, but i'm talking about driving on snow, basic winter driving i can handle, its just when i hit snow the car goes bonkers on me, no grip, it slips as soon as i press the gas, and thats all cuz of the stupid auto

tictactoe2004
12-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by gp36912
well ive got a different tranny in my car, and i do run snow tires, but all the roads right now are snowy, and it starts to slip ( its an auto ) so i have no clutch control at all, otherwise i would be fine, i can drive a front wheeldrive car on snow np, but thats if it had a standard tranny, i had to buy a automatic so my sister could drive something when she got her full license(she can't drive standard) and an automatic is dreadful for winter with a rwd studless winters

uhm... well, I don't really know how to put this nicely but I think what the problem is, that you dont know how to drive a RWD at all... I have driven numerous RWD cars with all seasons, winters and even summer tires through the winter, in both automatic and manual. I have never _EVER_ had a problem with any of those cars.

Personally I don't think the problem is that your driving an automatic with studless winter tires... and if you think thats what your problem is, then I would seriously suggest that you buy a different vehicle.

gp36912
12-07-2005, 01:25 PM
and also, sry forgot to say it earlier, when i drive with dsc on while being in the snow it kicks in and my car goes nowhere, i can be at full throtle, the light would just sit there and flash while i can't go anywhere

Barlow
12-07-2005, 01:26 PM

k i this doesn't make sence unless your parents bought you the car, and even that, girlls can drive standard if they spend 20 minutes learning, but yeah if you paid for the car i don;t see why you have to let your sister drive.... oh and yeah i had winters on last year, haven't put them on this year yet, will but yeahmines front wheels drive, and no probleems, i have driven rear too, just let up off the gas....

gp36912
12-07-2005, 01:44 PM
i barely touch the gas, and also, yes my parents bought the car, and no my sister can't drive a standard, she can't multitask, so shifting and concentrating on the road could never happen, even if we gave her 100 hours to learn a standard she would still burn the clutch or stall the car, trust me weve tried

gp36912
12-07-2005, 01:47 PM
well mainly i think its just this car thats the problem, and its mainly this car i ever have trouble with. and it seems to only be this winter too, last winter i was on summers and i had no problem(that was my old transmission) i had the transmission rebuilt and now i really don't have as good control in the winter

gp36912
12-07-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004

uhm... well, I don't really know how to put this nicely but I think what the problem is, that you dont know how to drive a RWD at all... I have driven numerous RWD cars with all seasons, winters and even summer tires through the winter, in both automatic and manual. I have never _EVER_ had a problem with any of those cars.

Personally I don't think the problem is that your driving an automatic with studless winter tires... and if you think thats what your problem is, then I would seriously suggest that you buy a different vehicle.

first of all read my damn first post man, i wanted tips on how to drive a rwd properly in winter, don't just skip down to the bottom and start talking, ok.

secondly about the studless tires, someone assumed that i had summers on, so i told him/her it was a studless winter tire (though studded may help) so before you say anything please read the thread thoroughly tictactoe , and so what if you have had no problems with rwd cars, i'm driving on min an inch of snow everyday, because there not defrosting anything but the main public roads this year and noones clearing out parking lets yet.

thirdly don't like you know me ok, i started this thread as a way to learn how to drive rwd cars, plus be able to have my sister read it for when she drives

now thats done with, i havnt driven other bmws but so i dunno how stiff your accel pedal is, but mine is not exactly light, my corollas pedal is light, and compared to that its a medium pressure or so, my traction control kicks in too effectively :P so i have to turn it off to drive sometimes or else i won't be going anywhere

WWJAI
12-07-2005, 02:39 PM
yah stop ruining his thread..he wanted some fuckin tips on driving RWD in the winer..not your useless 2 cents on how he shouldn't be driving and how you can drive a RWD so great. :whocares:

gp36912
12-07-2005, 02:59 PM
tnx wwjai ^^^:thumbsup:

tictactoe2004
12-07-2005, 03:24 PM

i started this thread as a way to learn how to drive rwd cars

lol heheheheh ok if no one else see's a comment like that and finds it a bit odd, then I guess it's my bad, but personally I think that anyone that has made comments like that probably shouldnt be on the road right now.

tictactoe2004
12-07-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Sounds like you just dont know how to drive sensibly.

:werd:

trikypenguin
12-07-2005, 03:33 PM
maybe its the driver??

tictactoe2004
12-07-2005, 03:33 PM

i'm driving on min an inch of snow everyday, because there not defrosting anything but the main public roads this year and noones clearing out parking lets yet.

Also, jesus, I don't know if this is just stupid or really freaky, but welcome to calgary buddy... if driving on "an inch of snow everday" is a problem for you then not only are you driving the wrong car, but your also in the wrong city. God people like you need to take a fucking drivers course, not post online about how to drive in the winter....

Secondly, no one "defrosts" roads period. On top of that no one clears out parking lots or anything other than main city roads ever, its not like its something that normally happens and just hasnt happened "yet"

God, I normally never get pissed off at people online but this is one of the stupidest threads i've ever seen. People like you are the reason traffic goes 40K down deerfoot because there's a whole "inch of snow" on a residential road even though deerfoot is clean.

tegra94
12-07-2005, 04:14 PM

Also, jesus, I don't know if this is just stupid or really freaky, but welcome to calgary buddy... if driving on "an inch of snow everday" is a problem for you then not only are you driving the wrong car, but your also in the wrong city. God people like you need to take a fucking drivers course, not post online about how to drive in the winter....

Secondly, no one "defrosts" roads period. On top of that no one clears out parking lots or anything other than main city roads ever, its not like its something that normally happens and just hasnt happened "yet"

God, I normally never get pissed off at people online but this is one of the stupidest threads i've ever seen. People like you are the reason traffic goes 40K down deerfoot because there's a whole "inch of snow" on a residential road even though deerfoot is clean.

:werd: I second that.... I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it is rear wheel drive and i have no problems on my skating rink of a street. I think that winter would be time for you to buy a bus pass, it would make us NORMAL drivers a lot safer.

dericer
12-07-2005, 04:30 PM
You need to know your car.

Know the feel of the car and sense when the rear starts to kick.

Feather the throttle at the point when you get maximum launch and minimum traction loss.

More throttle works better (usually) for stabalizing the car than braking.

And I hope you know to turn into the slide and not away.

Turn into slide + throttle = Straight line.

Basically you should only be braking heavily in a straight line, never while turning or sliding sideways.

And another note would be:

Stay off the f***ng road if you aren't comfortable driving. You become a liability.

gp36912
12-08-2005, 01:01 AM
i am fucking comfortable driving, and tictac is just being a ignorant loser, i'm sry to say. there are a few things i have changed out, the rear isn't getting any grip at all, so i just loaded the rear down with a bit more weight, drives fine now. and who the fuck said i was not comfortable driving in the snow, i was just wonder if someone knew the most proper way to handle a rear wheel car when it hits slick patches like that, and like i said before tic stop being retard ok. its people like you that get others killed, just because someone is willing to actually learn something from others dosn't mean you have to put them down, if you dislike the post don't post, all ur doing is slandering and that wasn't the point of the post, what if someone had just bought a rwd car and wanted to learn how to drive it huh? ever think about that, or do you have a brain to think with, and no i don't mean your nuts

gp36912
12-08-2005, 01:03 AM
and no i dont go 40 on deerfoot, on a clear day, i go speed limit and like i said before don't talk to me like you know me, because if you did know me u wouldn't talk that way would you the way you act makes it seem like that all you are is a bully online and can't back anything up

IncredibleToad
12-08-2005, 01:08 AM
:drama:

Sorath
12-08-2005, 01:10 AM
winters are all u need my friend

gp36912
12-08-2005, 01:14 AM
for ice?

gp36912
12-08-2005, 01:18 AM
this is mainly what the post is about but i mean the message i put out is so simply put almost every had giving some good input but i mean both tegra94 and tictactoe2004 aren't helping, they are just being retarded and calling me a bad driver whereas ive never even caused an accident or had a speeding ticket, or any moving violations at all

max_boost
12-08-2005, 01:29 AM
OK WTF this thread doesn't make sense at all.

I've owned an auto 323I with Blizzaks WS50 and right now driving an auto 330CI with Kumho KW19's. Combined with DSC, the car is freaking dummy proof. You don't need to learn how to drive it because well, you just don't need to. Unlike traditional RWD cars, you don't have to worry about the rear end kicking out and having to steer your way out, traction control kicks in and straightens it out for you.

What tires do you have?

gp36912
12-08-2005, 01:32 AM
snowproxes but no the cars dsc cuts in before i can get the car to move on slippery surfaces, and thats all i wanted to know, how to get the car under control on slippery surfaces like ice

max_boost
12-08-2005, 01:36 AM
Well the car is under control then if DSC kicks in, that's how it works. I just keep pumping the accelerator and off I go. Turn off DSC if you feel it inhibits your driving.

SOAB
12-08-2005, 01:39 AM
i'm sorry but anyone that can't drive in calgary winters with winter tires shouldn't be driving...

Celica4me
12-08-2005, 02:24 AM
Im stuck with all seasons.......but driving sideways is fun

Darkane
12-08-2005, 02:25 AM
^^ well said. As to the original poster.. Dude when your sliding .. Its called counter steer. There is nothing and i repeat NOTHING can be done on ICE when your aleady sliding. So .. just be careful and no theres nothing you can learn to do to drive a RWD better other than counter steer. common sense? :dunno:

Celica4me
12-08-2005, 02:32 AM
go to an empty parking lot.....slide around a lil.....get used to how the car reacts.....learn what it does......learn to react.....and ta da.......winter driving made easy

Barlow
12-08-2005, 02:40 AM
for ice?

if its ice your f*cked, prey you hit a patch of payment and get controla again....

Goblin
12-08-2005, 02:49 AM
Reading this thread killed me. I have the exact same car and this is stupid fuck i can barely tiype but thats not th epoint yay party

im pissed cus same car and dcs DOES not spin you out whatsoever, you obviously suck at driving you girl.

automatic? different trans in the car yeah right you liar.

whatever, quite complaining, i cna do nit not hard.

RSeXy
12-08-2005, 03:06 AM
323i ...almost 180hp? i'm assuming you've got some engine mods...b/c no way a stock 323 is that much power...those things are soo damn slow! i know b/c i drove one for a winter.

anyways...if you've got traction control and winters...i see no way how you could've lost control unless you were driving a little reckless.

gp36912
12-08-2005, 03:33 AM
no reckless driving, i was turning and it hit a patch of ice, so i did counter steer so what i have been doing is fine, and yes there are a little bit of engine mods, not too much though, my old tranny burned out so my mechanic stuck a different tranny in, well parts of it was replaced so it reacts differently than other 323i i have driven, and no dsc had to be turned off because i couldn't move with it on

gp36912
12-08-2005, 03:54 AM
ive had to repeat my self so many times....

ex1z7
12-08-2005, 07:31 AM
Does anyone else not see this kid lasting on this forum?

You want to learn some tips on driving better in ice/snow, go to a driving school. The problem with you sliding and not being able to move and blah blah is because you're 18 and reckless. No offense, you'll learn when you damage that car a few times.

Going around corners : let the gas pedal go, leave it alone till you're straight.

Start sliding : countersteer

Don't floor the damn car, you don't have to press it hard to make the thing go - it doesn't matter how stiff your pedal is, you're pressing too hard if all you do is spin. Ease up and relax, Mario.

Stop flipping out on people, they've all been in the exact same spot, being a reckless new driver. They're just telling you it isn't the cars fault. And if you REALLY think it is, take it to a mechanic with your complaints. He'll laugh at you more then likely but if there is a problem you ought to get it fixed.

Just ease up on the throttle. Take a few lessons - it doesn't mean you're a bad driver, it means you want to take the time to learn in a controlled enviroment instead of on the streets in a dangerous situation.

Take lessons, ease up, countersteer, stop givin' it gas around corners. Thats all I can really contribute..

sputnik
12-08-2005, 08:04 AM
ive had to repeat my self so many times....

did you PM everyone else active in this thread too?

dericer
12-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

did you PM everyone else active in this thread too?

Yup, and apparently my comment was upsetting and disturbing.

:cry:

treg50
12-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Besides winter tires, I find these other two things work very well: common sense and patience. Winter tires won't save you from bad driving (ie. driving too fast for road conditions, etc.).

I've never used winter tires in 15 years of driving (my parent's cars and my car). I believe they work, but it's also just a big time marketing and hype campaign. "Ooooo winter and ice is coming better get winter tires or you'll crash." That's BS. Winter can own vehicle and any driver, doesn't matter what tires you have.

Bottom line, take your time while driving during winter.

gp36912
12-08-2005, 07:32 PM
ya i do take my time... and i dont' ever floor the pedal, not even in the summer... y do people prejudge like that....

Clanche
12-08-2005, 08:08 PM
First of all your BMW has 50/50 weight distribution.. compared to most front wheel drive cars that have 70/30 to the front.. therefore you wont have as much traction.. however, the ASC (or DSC or whatever) in bimmers is AMAZING.. it takes over so fast it never gives you a chance to fuck up.. i've had it take over and i didnt even realize i was slidding.. just like a jedi, it can see seconds in the future and make decisions accordingly (atleast thats what i tell myself) :D

Anyways.. listen to what people are saying.. dont make any drastic changes when you are turning.. dont break.. dont accelerate.. just go with the flow.. sometimes there is so little traction that the DSC will barely let you move forward.. if you really are stuck turn it off and give it a little gas then turn it right back on... Blizzacks or Alpine Ones are your best friends in Calgary :thumbsup:

Also, I'm REALLY ACTUALLY not trying to be rude but why the hell did your parents by a rwd car if both their children are motion-challenged??? tell them that you dont feel safe and get them to get you a nice Audi quattro

trikypenguin
12-08-2005, 08:10 PM
they are rediculously fun to drive in the winter

Clanche
12-08-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by trikypenguin
they are rediculously fun to drive in the winter

and really really really ridiculously good looking :bigpimp:

tictactoe2004
12-08-2005, 08:33 PM
god everytime i see this thread i just get pissed off.

jesus, if its such a problem why stop at daddy buying you a bimmer? why dont you just get him to drive it for you too. God, if you think your a good driver and say your sister is worse... god help us all when we're driving.

Clanche
12-08-2005, 08:39 PM
god everytime i see this thread i just get pissed off.

jesus, if its such a problem why stop at daddy buying you a bimmer? why dont you just get him to drive it for you too. God, if you think your a good driver and say your sister is worse... god help us all when we're driving.

SOLUTION: Your dad hires a driver for you and your sister. Problem solved.

Can some please close this thread. :closed:

FatboyTheHungry
12-08-2005, 08:49 PM
and the way my car is running right now for winter is that the engine has no reponse till i open up the throttle abit, but i'm talking about driving on snow, basic winter driving i can handle, its just when i hit snow the car goes bonkers on me, no grip, it slips as soon as i press the gas, and thats all cuz of the stupid auto

Don'y floor it everywhere you go... I have a tuned 330ci, and I don't have ANY problems in the winter. With winter tires (Continental Winter Contacts) it is easier to control than my Civic or my Rav4, even with the DSCIII turned off...

NickGT
12-08-2005, 10:27 PM
I laugh at winter! Ha ha - Ha ha!

2002 Mustang GT Convertible
2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD (Work Truck)

tictactoe2004
12-08-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Clanche

SOLUTION: Your dad hires a driver for you and your sister. Problem solved.

Can some please close this thread. :closed:

:D

ex1z7
12-08-2005, 11:22 PM
or seriously just go get fucking lessons. End of story.

we all "pre judge" you because it's true, you are driving like a damn tool. This many people saying it isn't the car can NOT be wrong. Especially when you're an inexperienced teenager.

Jesus christ. Go to driving school!

Goblin
12-09-2005, 01:37 AM
Wow im surprised my post wasnt deleted.

Now im sober, point is, I am still angry. Clanche , your right, DSC is amazing, and even better in the e46 too.

Man... sigh

tictactoe2004
12-09-2005, 02:02 AM
the ASC (or DSC or whatever) in bimmers is AMAZING.. it takes over so fast it never gives you a chance to fuck up

just like a jedi, it can see seconds in the future and make decisions accordingly

lol, thats wicked

gp36912
12-09-2005, 07:07 PM
yes it reacts well but won't anyone listen.... i slid once on fucking ice and thats it, ok i wanted to know if there was anything ic ould correct, ive had some positive responces, but now your all just being dickheads about it, and ive talked to my sister, shes only gonna drive the car in the summer, shes gonna hitch a ride with parents for the winter, and when i slid it was when it first snowed, i just hadn't gotten around to posting on it..... fuck it was icey, and don't fucking say i can't drive or i floor it everywhere, because one i am inexperienced but i know how to drive, and why the fuck would i floor it like other people do, and thats what i mean by prejudging, just because i'm a little yougner than you, dosn't mean i'm not as mature as you guys are so don't talk like you know me until you actually meet me

Celica4me
12-09-2005, 07:16 PM
mmmmmm 52/48 weight distribution :drool:

Clanche
12-09-2005, 07:34 PM
yes it reacts well but won't anyone listen.... i slid once on fucking ice and thats it, ok i wanted to know if there was anything ic ould correct, ive had some positive responces, but now your all just being dickheads about it, and ive talked to my sister, shes only gonna drive the car in the summer, shes gonna hitch a ride with parents for the winter, and when i slid it was when it first snowed, i just hadn't gotten around to posting on it..... fuck it was icey, and don't fucking say i can't drive or i floor it everywhere, because one i am inexperienced but i know how to drive, and why the fuck would i floor it like other people do, and thats what i mean by prejudging, just because i'm a little yougner than you, dosn't mean i'm not as mature as you guys are so don't talk like you know me until you actually meet me

sorry you got burnt so bad dude just next time be more specific about what you are trying to accomplish with the thread... i would suggest to take a winter driving course with AMA i think it would help you.. also like someone said.. take it to an empty parking lot and learn how the car reacts.. make it slide and try to recover

good luck :thumbsup:

Das_Amaretto
12-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Ummm.... u crashed up yr ride??

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111690

shittay

U should definitely get something AWD... or at least fwd, but RWD (and all its pleasures) isn't 4 u

try an A4

MarX
12-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Driving in the winter is not a hard thing to do as long as you know how your vehicle will react and how to control it. I'm driving an 89 Cherokee with no driving aids(abs, traction control etc) with bald tires and the only time I really lose traction is from a stop on ice or locking the brakes on ice. As long as you're not accelerating all the way through the corners you should be quite fine in the winter. Before you say "Oh it had 4x4 so that's why you dint lose traction it's not in 4wd its in 2 when I'm in 4x4 the only time I lose traction is stopping on ice hard. My Jeep has the same weight distribution although being slightly heavier and roughly having the same about of power(although yours is most likely in the higher rpms) they should handle fairly close. Like the others have said take it to an icy parking lot and get used to how it handles/reacts then you will be better prepared for normal winter driving.

Clanche
12-09-2005, 11:47 PM
always suck to crash.. sorry to hear that dude

HOWEVER, IT DOES PROVE EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM WAS RIGHT!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

gp36912
12-10-2005, 01:57 AM
... cept it wasn't my fault, read the thread, i got rear ended and then pushed into the car in front of me, she hit my car and kept going

barbarian
12-10-2005, 02:13 AM
Are you using over-sized rims? If so, there is a little less flexibility in these kind of tires that you probably have on these. You need a winter tire to have a large contact patch on the road, you will not have it with these kind of tires. One thing might be to have a set of winter tires on a regular set of rims.

Goblin
12-10-2005, 04:57 AM
The newbie got burnt, you will, in time, learn how to react to people on this forum lol.

Dont worry dude, at least you are okay. Im sure you'll get the hang of it.

b_t
12-10-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Goblin

Dont worry dude, at least you are okay. Im sure you'll get the hang of it.

No he won't
The first step to learning is admitting you don't know, and he hasn't even done that yet. He did ask for advice and then ignored it all, so nothing is going to be solved here.
I'm 19 and have never crashed in the winter, ever, or ever hit another car. Its not so hard.

gp36912
12-10-2005, 03:05 PM
no i have the stock 16s with oem size winter tires, and yes i have admitted that i didn't know, and i have listened to the advice.... so please like i said before don't talk about me like you know me, the accident was on the 7th, and she ran into me, not the other way around. god i never figured people in this city was so horribly ignorant

Clanche
12-10-2005, 05:55 PM
no i have the stock 16s with oem size winter tires, and yes i have admitted that i didn't know, and i have listened to the advice.... so please like i said before don't talk about me like you know me, the accident was on the 7th, and she ran into me, not the other way around. god i never figured people in this city was so horribly ignorant

where are you from?

and insulting Calgary isnt gonna make you friends on this forum.. except maybe for the Edmonton guys but who cares about those ;)

Goblin
12-10-2005, 06:29 PM

where are you from?

and insulting Calgary isnt gonna make you friends on this forum.. except maybe for the Edmonton guys but who cares about those ;)

good point... and I dont edmonton would show love either

hey cody, knock on wood, who knows what could/can happen.

gp36912
12-10-2005, 10:53 PM
no its not that but its just some people in this city just give it a bad name, ive lived here all my life, and i love it, but before i signed onto this forum did i realize there are some really ignorant people living here, guess i worded it badly too so i'm sry about that, what i meant to say was some people in this city

fast95pony
12-10-2005, 11:11 PM
no reckless driving, i was turning and it hit a patch of ice, so i did counter steer so what i have been doing is fine, and yes there are a little bit of engine mods, not too much though, my old tranny burned out so my mechanic stuck a different tranny in, well parts of it was replaced so it reacts differently than other 323i i have driven, and no dsc had to be turned off because i couldn't move with it on

A four year old BMW with a burned auto tranny ??
Maybe your "different tranny" isn't working properly ??

gp36912
12-11-2005, 12:19 AM
well it was mainly the ice that affected the dsc, but ya cuz they couldn't get replacement parts for the bmw, and they couldn't get a hold of a new bmw tranny, so they imported parts for it for it

chris
12-11-2005, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Well the car is under control then if DSC kicks in, that's how it works. I just keep pumping the accelerator and off I go. Turn off DSC if you feel it inhibits your driving.
from the sounds of things, this guy should not be turning off his dsc. Some cars now only have dsc on when you are going above like 5 or 10 km/h. TC is not meant for getting you off ice, it's meant for people like you that dont know how to corner in a rwd car, turno your t/c off when you cant go anywhere, turn it on when you're driving to prevent slippage

well it was mainly the ice that affected the dsc, but ya cuz they couldn't get replacement parts for the bmw, and they couldn't get a hold of a new bmw tranny, so they imported parts for it for it
so they rebuilt your tranny?? how does a 5 year old car's tranny get burnt out? forget to change the tranny fluid ever?

MarX
12-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by chris
so they rebuilt your tranny?? how does a 5 year old car's tranny get burnt out? forget to change the tranny fluid ever?
High rpm clutch drops would do it too:rolleyes:

gp36912
12-11-2005, 10:07 PM
first of all, i just got the car, used so i dunno what the other guy did with the car

Clanche
12-11-2005, 11:05 PM
i really think this thread should be closed.. its not going anywhere

kevie88
12-11-2005, 11:11 PM
i really think this thread should be closed.. its not going anywhere

Nah, I'm still entertained :D

gp36912
12-11-2005, 11:45 PM
i kinda am having fun now lol, even though everyones aiming everything at me, keeps me occupied while i'm resting :P

CalgarySupra
12-13-2005, 12:19 AM
one guy who i sold a 91 supra 2 years ago has it at 520 horsw power and drives fine. jsut need to becareful like any other driver. and having racing tires doesnt help

JordanLotoski
12-13-2005, 12:29 AM
anyone having a little trouble controlling your rwd car in the winter, for example, today, getting out of a parking lot, i was taking it nice and easy, but then as i turned out, my rear wheels hit a patch of ice and caused the engines to rev and the tires to spin out, luckily i got the car under control and managed to get away in perfect condition, but anyone got any tips to drive these rwd monsters :P

Ps, i am driving a 323i and its got about 180hpish (almost stock)

LOL...man i have a 323ci, and its easier to control in the winter then a fwd civic.

gp36912
12-13-2005, 08:33 PM
actually now that a bit of time have passed by since that sliding incident, i don't mind rwd cars, pretty easy to control after driving it on a icy empty parking lot 2 weeks or so ago, ya i know the post was started a bit late but i never had time to do it, i had gotten time to experiment with the car and such, fun to drive :P and no fwd seems easier to control but then i should try driving a standard tranny rwd, maybe then i'd have something to compare lol

lbrowne
12-13-2005, 09:56 PM
I'm a little late to the party I think, and I'm not sure if this was mentioned or not because I got tired of reading the bickering that soon consumed part of the thread. Anyways for winter driving heres what I do:

Winter tires a must for some cars, however I bought a 240sx coupe a few years ago specifically as a winter beater and it got along well in winter on good all seasons, and that was in Fort McMurray!

For getting going

Manual tranny? Easy, start in a higher gear like second - I even used third for really slippery conditions. Going around a turn with rwd when its slippery and giving good throttle is a no no, unless you are wise and experienced to turn into whats going to happen (pardon the pun!)

Auto? Give slight throttle and hold the position as the car starts to move, you'll feel the car pick up traction with its forward motion allowing you to give more throttle in reasonable amounts.

Tail kicks out? Easy in a rwd, left off the gas and steer in, counter the wheel as the car straightens itself out. FWD in a slide (the typical slide where you are sliding straight and the wheels won't let you turn to a new path), point the front tires where you want to go and get on the gas.

The latter technique got me out of a potential very very bad situation years ago, I was young and it took some will power to overcome your natural habit to press the brake and keep sliding. :)

Hope this helps, but to be totally honest, find a LARGE empty and slippery parking lot after a snowfall and practise. Get yourself trained to pilot the car. This will do worlds of good for you know how your specific car reacts in certain situations. (giving you at least a ground basis to build on)

Hope this helps. Drive safe

Das_Amaretto
12-13-2005, 10:31 PM
since you're adamant on staying with a bimmer, get a 330xi :thumbsup:

Goblin
12-14-2005, 02:32 AM
Well he got his car from hot wheels, so it was really cheap. He cant afford it.

Id say a 1990 ford ranger 4x4. there ya go.

Goblin
12-14-2005, 02:37 AM

sorry for double post. but what?!?

STOP LIEING RIGHT NOW

save yourself. your young cuz like ya talk like this aint so nice 2 read yo and my god your talking out of YOUR ASS.

1) BMWs are know for great enigneering and quality, and quite reliable. Wtf? burnt out tranny?

2) your car is a 99-2001, aka, prefacelift. The new ones, 2002+ are facelifted.

your a not driving a 2002, as fast95pony said "A four year old BMW with a burned auto tranny ?? "

another thing, dsc affected your transmission? wtf? You have an auto, and DSC limits the engine rpm delievering power to the torque converter. How does that affect your tranny?

sigh.

gp36912
12-14-2005, 02:18 PM
how the fuck did you read that.... i said of slippery surface dsc affected my ability to go anywhere, goblin..... and again like i said how do i know what the guy that had the car before me had done with the car, there was a leak in the tranny line when i got the car and i had it fixed within a day of finding it, which was about 3 days after buying the car, so guess what!!! stop bitching about the burnt transmission because i had nothing to do with it. and secondly, i told you guys to stop talking like you know me, so what if i had thought i had found a great deal and bought it, i'm going brand new next time and if its a new bmw so be it, but from what ive priced out so far the next car wouldn't be any less than 40k

Goblin
12-17-2005, 03:49 PM
oh btw, you have asc, not dsc. lol :D

tictactoe2004
12-17-2005, 04:57 PM
i told you guys to stop talking like you know me

We don't need to know you, with the things you've said since you got here we know everything that we need to know.

gp36912
12-17-2005, 05:59 PM
right and so i can say i'm a girl and you'd all assume, duh......

and no goblin it is not asc, its dsc, unless the owners manual is lieing, and the bmw gallery is lieing