PDA

View Full Version : Man defrauds cancer patients at Foothills.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-07-2005, 03:06 PM
From CityBeat:

CALGARY POLICE SERVICE NEWS RELEASE

The Calgary Police Service is requesting the public's
assistance to identify a male culprit wanted in connection
with fraudulent activity targeting cancer patients at the
Foothills Hospital.

On more than one occasion, an unknown male has defrauded
cancer patients at the Tom Baker Cancer Centre in the
Foothills Hospital. The male culprit will approach patients
in the hospital and quickly develop a rapport with them,
either by posing as a fellow cancer patient or as a hospital
worker.

The culprit gains enough of the victim's trust to get access
to their bank card information and subsequently withdraws
money from their accounts at an ATM machine.

The culprit in these incidents is described as a Caucasian
male, 30 to 40 years old, 5'9" tall, 200 lbs., with a heavy
build and brown hair.

Anyone with information on the identity of this culprit or
with any other information regarding this crime is asked to
call Constable Aron Johnston in the District 7 Country Hills
office at 567-6700, Constable Wade Goertzen in the District 2
office at 249-7701, or, should the caller wish to remain
anonymous and be eligle for a cash reward, contact Crime
Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

RELEASED BY THE PUBLIC AFFAIRS/MEDIA RELATIONS UNIT FOR CST.
A. JOHNSTON & CST. W. GOERTZEN

-30-

Public Contact Information:

[email protected]

Public Email Contact:

[email protected]

That's incredibly low. I put this guy on the same level as the guy who was stealing Xboxes from the sick children. Scum. :thumbsdow

FatboyTheHungry
12-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Yep, shameless...

Evo prec
12-07-2005, 03:26 PM
yeah that is fuckin low, be all buddy buddy then steal their money, go fuck yourself buddy and die too... people like that should be shot. stealing from people that have medical problems. SOOO LOW, whatever karma will get his bitch ass, and he will burn in hell.

Xtrema
12-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Someday, I wish we have public stoning. It's a perfect punishment for these scums of the earth.

tapout
wow what sick bastard:thumbsdow

l8braker
some people are disgusting. hope they get him and hang him out to dry.

:(

Weapon_R
12-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Subhuman.

Primer_Drift
12-07-2005, 03:40 PM
My dad died at that very center, if I caught anyone doing that I would choke the life out of them.:whipped:

shakalaka
12-07-2005, 03:51 PM
That is just fucking plain low and stupid!! How fucking low can you get. What else I dont understand is why do people tell him their bank information? I mean we dont even do that to our immediate family and stuff, and them telling it to some random guy.

Foz
12-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Lots of low life scum everywhere..

sputnik
12-07-2005, 04:03 PM
CALGARY -- Posing as a fellow cancer victim, a heartless thief befriended sick and vulnerable patients at a city hospital and then robbed their bank accounts.

District 2 Const. Wade Goertzen said one of the victims had $900 stolen from her account after allowing the man access to her bank card.

During his investigation, Goertzen learned a similar case was being looked into by District 7 police officers. "It's quite shocking to me someone could be that low to prey on someone as vulnerable as a cancer victim," he said.

In the case he's investigating, Goertzen said the crook approached a middle-aged woman, undergoing heavy chemotherapy, in the lobby of the hospital and struck up conversation.

He told her he was also a cancer patient who was struggling with his treatment and gained her compassion and trust. On another day, he contacted her by phone just to say hello.

The woman and the man met up again in the hospital, and he walked with her to a bank machine in the lobby, said Goertzen.

Distracted

"She entered her card into the machine and got distracted and walked away from the machine and then he withdrew the money," he said. Goertzen said a similar scenario played out for the other victim being investigated by officers in District 7. Although no one else has come forward, police are looking into whether more patients have been targeted by the cruel thief. Because the conversations took place in the busy lobby of the hospital, staff didn't notice the man posing as a patient, said Goertzen.

However, police were able to identify a man on the hospital's security cameras that matches the description of the suspect.

Goertzen said patients in the hospital must be vigilant until the man is caught.

"Be aware and be careful who you're talking to," he said. "If this has happened to you, contact police."

As unfortunate as this is. The woman really shouldnt have left the ATM. Something like this could have really happened anywhere.

SOAB
12-07-2005, 05:51 PM
does cancer make people stupid?

in*10*se
12-07-2005, 08:00 PM
^^ fuck are u an ass...

after chemotherapy... ie. having radition blasted at your body... ur disorientated and sick as shit.

Much less, you totally need the companionship of someone else that is going through it. Someone who understands... this guy targets helpless, disorientated people... wow aren't you the MAN calling people dying of cancer "stupid" ::thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :rolleyes:

this guy is the fucking scum of the earth, if i saw this guy on the street, i'd beat his face in.

Nissanaddict
12-07-2005, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't beat his face in...I'd just hit him in the head hard till he's unconscious, and make sure he wakes up chained to the Calgary fricking tower where he gets stoned to death. terrible.

l8braker
12-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by SOAB
does cancer make people stupid?

Dunno, what kind do you have?

method
12-09-2005, 06:52 PM
lynch mob!

l8braker
12-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Arrested:

http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/citybeat/public/2005/12/release.20051213_103003_4577_0

:clap:

shakalaka
12-13-2005, 12:13 PM
^^fukin right doggy!!

Hopefully he gets what he deserves.

SOAB
12-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by in*10*se
^^ fuck are u an ass...

after chemotherapy... ie. having radition blasted at your body... ur disorientated and sick as shit.

Much less, you totally need the companionship of someone else that is going through it. Someone who understands... this guy targets helpless, disorientated people... wow aren't you the MAN calling people dying of cancer "stupid" ::thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :rolleyes:

this guy is the fucking scum of the earth, if i saw this guy on the street, i'd beat his face in.

no question that this guy is scum...but why do you give your card and pin number to a stranger?

i'm glad they got him.

2000_SI
12-13-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by l8braker
Arrested:

http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/citybeat/public/2005/12/release.20051213_103003_4577_0

:clap:

Mad props to CPS for catching this guy...

sputnik
12-13-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by SOAB

no question that this guy is scum...but why do you give your card and pin number to a stranger?

i'm glad they got him.

:werd:

I'm glad they got him too, but the media was definately looking for a sob story in the way they worded their headline.

He defrauded "stupid people" not "cancer patients".

BerserkerCatSplat
12-13-2005, 04:51 PM
That's certainly good news! :clap:

TDA
12-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

:werd:

I'm glad they got him too, but the media was definately looking for a sob story in the way they worded their headline.

He defrauded "stupid people" not "cancer patients".

I'm sure the chemotherapy would fuck with my head just a wee little bit ya know?

urbannomad
12-13-2005, 06:57 PM
that shit is horrible:thumbsdow

SOAB
12-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by TDA

I'm sure the chemotherapy would fuck with my head just a wee little bit ya know?

he conned stupid people with cancer.

these people met this guy while up and about, not lying in bed. if they are concious enough to be up and about, they should know better than to give that stuff to a stranger.

i'm not defending the guy, but people have to be more careful.