PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an emotional Rock song for a car commercial

Redlyne_mr2
12-07-2005, 06:21 PM
So Ive been put in charge of heading up a car commercial for the company and they are looking for the music to be emotional rock. Im not talking any shit like Simple plan or crap like that. One example would be right now by Van Halen. Of anyone knows of any other good slower tempo rock tunes with an upbeat melody let me know.
Thanks

James
12-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Aerosmith has alot of tunes that could work well for this.

soupey
12-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by James
Aerosmith has alot of tunes that could work well for this.

exactly what i was thinking

FiveFreshFish
12-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Who is your target audience?

Davetronz
12-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Hahaha DAMN I had a bunch of EMO music to suggest..
http://emosong.ytmnd.com/

Redlyne_mr2
12-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Who is your target audience?
ages 25-45 male and female, its a pretty vast target audience which is why I need a song that has some staying power. Aerosmith is a pretty good idea..I know we used them with some of our commercials already.

Ben
12-07-2005, 07:02 PM
There's a few gooders by Guns and Roses also.

Mr. Burns
12-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Creed? *shudder*

A_3
12-07-2005, 07:07 PM
cmon Whitesnake "Here I go again on my own"

b_t
12-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Gone Away by the Offspring

86max
12-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Edwin - Alive

I dunno, something about that song playing while driving along a coastline just makes me smile :)

civic_stylez
12-07-2005, 07:09 PM
theres a couple good ones by metallica..one, nothing else matters..unforgiven..theyre slower beat tho..but search them too..

BerserkerCatSplat
12-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Golden Earring - Radar Love

Queen has some good ones, too.

Toms-SC
12-07-2005, 07:19 PM
emmmoooo :devil:

KoukiS14
12-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Winger - Miles Away

mwmhong
12-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Shadows of the night - Pat Benetar :thumbsup:

Emotional without being too emotional :)

Others:

Joyride - Roxette

Take me home tonight - Eddie Money

Walk on Water - Eddie Money

Two tickets to paradise - Eddie Money

theken
12-07-2005, 07:30 PM
staind? how bout mellencamp haha, tragically hip

FiveFreshFish
12-07-2005, 07:49 PM
Ceremony by Joy Division.

chris
12-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Queen has some good ones, too.
bohemian rhapsody maybe
over the hills and far away - zeppelin
road trippin' - chili peppers

95EagleAWD
12-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Panama - Van Halen

:thumbsup:

Nissanaddict
12-07-2005, 08:53 PM
MEATLOAFF!!!! lol, not car commercial material....well maybe, bat out of hellllllll.

finboy
12-07-2005, 09:15 PM
as soon as i saw the title i though "l0|2enzo" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

aerosmith gets my thumbs up :thumbsup:

try some of their stuff from the "pump" or "get a grip" albums

treg50
12-07-2005, 11:23 PM
What kind of vehicle are you trying to promote? Pick-up trucks? "Like a rock, ooooo, like a rock." lol, 'cause I can't see any of the above songs working for a new car. Then again Cadillac pulled off using Zepplin's Rock and Roll but it's all up beat --- pure genius there, love those Caddilac commercials.

The new Pontiac (Torrent, Solstice, and G6) commercials are all hot.

FiveFreshFish
12-07-2005, 11:30 PM
This is a good one. Lyrics might work for a car commercial.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/ekahob/corectspelling.jpg

Foz
12-08-2005, 12:22 AM
Sweet emotions - Aerosmith

Neil4Speed
12-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Go your own way - Fleetwood Mac ?

Phy
12-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Please, please, please. Whatever you do, read the lyrics before you select the song! I know inappropriate song use is epidemic in ads, but that doesn't make it any easier to sit through.

Remember how Nissan was using "Won't Get Fooled Again" by the Who? The one with the car powersliding through the desert to the Biggest Scream In Rock and Roll? The very next part of the song goes "Meet the new boss: Same as the old boss". For anyone that knows the music, it totally destroys what they're trying to sell. Every single ad that uses "Lust for Life" omits the bit about the liquor and drugs and a flesh machine.

"Go Your Own Way"... while the first words of the chorus obviously connote freedom, the whole song is basically a kiss-off from one member of the band to another. They were involved at the time and the whole album that the song is on is NOTORIOUS for airing their dirty laundry.

Metallica's "One", while a kickass song, is about a man who's had his limbs blown off and his senses destroyed by a landmine.

"Bat Out of Hell"... you remember what happens at the end of the song, right? RIGHT? :D

As for what you could consider... seconding Radar Love. It's total bubblegum. Aerosmith's overplayed, IMO... they're kinda whores. :D Van Halen's "Panama" would also work. In fact a lot of stuff from David Lee Roth-era Van Halen would work, they were all about the rockstar lifestyle back then, which means not too deep. If you could score "Eruption" or the opening of "Hot for Teacher" that would be sick. Not sure that's the emotion you're looking for though. Also consider "Jump".

Mellencamp would work too, he's got the patriotism and small-town thing going. Drawing a blank on specific songs though. All I remember is "Little Pink Houses".

Tom Petty's got a lot of stuff that would work but I don't think he lets his stuff get used in ads very often. Even Zeppelin caved for Cadillac, but I can't remember an ad using any of Petty's songs. I know he blasted Bush for using one of his songs during the 2000 election campaign. That said, "Running Down a Dream" would be dead-on perfect.

Redlyne_mr2
12-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Wow thanks alot for all the great suggestions...I agree lyrics are very important. The commercial will not focus on one primary vehicle. It's a commercial for our Finance/Services division for the corporation so it will include cars from our luxury brand, our alternative energy vehicles, our top sellers and our performance division. One song that came to mind last night was New sensation...I think its by INXS

GTS Jeff
12-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Hey Ryan, how about the Star Trek Enterprise theme song?

finboy
12-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Phy
That said, "Running Down a Dream" would be dead-on perfect.

soon as i read tom petty i thought the same thing

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Wow thanks alot for all the great suggestions...I agree lyrics are very important. The commercial will not focus on one primary vehicle. It's a commercial for our Finance/Services division for the corporation so it will include cars from our luxury brand, our alternative energy vehicles, our top sellers and our performance division. One song that came to mind last night was New sensation...I think its by INXS

see above quote, fits perfect :thumbsup:

irfaan
12-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Tallulah - Sonata Arctica
really good track:)

BerserkerCatSplat
12-08-2005, 03:15 PM
OK, I've gone through my music collection and came up with the following list of songs. They may not all fit what you're looking for, but I implore you to listen to them, as there's a wide variety of styles within the list.

Queen - Don't Stop Me Now

Robbie Williams - Man Machine

Ocean Color Scene - Hundred Mile High City

Fleetwood Mac - Hypnotized

Yasushi Ishii - World Without Logos

Duran Duran - Hungry like the Wolf

Lacuna Coil - Purify

Nightwish - Walking in the Air

The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations

The Cardigans - Erase Rewind

Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World

The Cult - Painted on my Heart

ZZ Top - La Grange

Anything by the Traveling Wilburys, but the best ones are:
- She's my Baby
- You Took My Breath Away
- The End of the Line (Alright)

Def_3
12-08-2005, 03:17 PM
aerosmith - dream on:thumbsup:

69cougar
12-08-2005, 03:52 PM
I always thought a good song would be Johnny Cash - I've been everywhere....shows the car or cars driving all over North America or globally ??

frostyda9
12-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Winds of Change - Scorpions.